Frame and Wheels Dilemma

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Went to the local bike shop here in mindanao, island, Philippines just to get a handle on sitting on a bike as last time I did was probably 50 years ago.

Nothing like the uk here but did have a giant and a trinx but both were 27.5 inch wheels, I could barely get my leg over and the seat represented a blunt razor blade.

Is there any portly older members here that can give ne tips on frame and wheel selection? Im 178cm 120kg

Is there any stigma with me riding a women's bike? Can I get away with 24 inch wheels or 26 inch is an absolute minimum for my height and age.

Seat, tyre selection I think I can handle oh and the bike is solely for road use.

Thanks… andy

sent via huawei P9

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Went to the local bike shop here in mindanao, island, Philippines just to get a handle on sitting on a bike as last time I did was probably 50 years ago.

Nothing like the uk here but did have a giant and a trinx but both were 27.5 inch wheels, I could barely get my leg over and the seat represented a blunt razor blade.

Is there any portly older members here that can give ne tips on frame and wheel selection? Im 178cm 120kg

Is there any stigma with me riding a women's bike? Can I get away with 24 inch wheels or 26 inch is an absolute minimum for my height and age.

Seat, tyre selection I think I can handle oh and the bike is solely for road use.

Thanks… andy

sent via huawei P9

When talking about wheel size I am reminded about a person commenting about a neighbours dashhound. .. complaining that . His legs are to short ... the response ....What do you mean don't they reach the ground?

There are competing advantages in wheels of different diameters small wheels , neater, better for towns , theoretically stronger, large wheels better for ruts ,

The key point is that the saddle is at a height so that the feet reach the peddles and that one foot can stand on the ground with the bike at a reasonable angle.

Men's bikes , womens bikes and unisex. Depends how comfortable you are in your gender role.. . If you need a crossbar to remind you of what you are well that's your business. There is a theoretical strength arguement that the crossbar provides a more rigid frame and this was probably important with the steels available 80 years ago.
Weight is not a particular problem with an electric bike the motor weights 3kg the battery another 3kg so the difference between the weight of a crossbar or a thicker up tube is irrelevant.
Apparently women and men have different bottoms, who knew? And there are different saddles for both. In general womens saddles are broader and in my opinion more comfortable.
The type of saddle you were on was probably designed for minimal friction for the Lycra clad brigade and comfort was a distant second.
While undeniably male, I have preferred unisex or women bikes without ostentatiously girlie colours.

• Agree
Reactions: trex and Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
When talking about wheel size I am reminded about a person commenting about a neighbours dashhound. .. complaining that . His legs are to short ... the response ....What do you mean don't they reach the ground?

There are competing advantages in wheels of different diameters small wheels , neater, better for towns , theoretically stronger, large wheels better for ruts ,

The key point is that the saddle is at a height so that the feet reach the peddles and that one foot can stand on the ground with the bike at a reasonable angle.

Men's bikes , womens bikes and unisex. Depends how comfortable you are in your gender role.. . If you need a crossbar to remind you of what you are well that's your business. There is a theoretical strength arguement that the crossbar provides a more rigid frame and this was probably important with the steels available 80 years ago.
Weight is not a particular problem with an electric bike the motor weights 3kg the battery another 3kg so the difference between the weight of a crossbar or a thicker up tube is irrelevant.
Apparently women and men have different bottoms, who knew? And there are different saddles for both. In general womens saddles are broader and in my opinion more comfortable.
The type of saddle you were on was probably designed for minimal friction for the Lycra clad brigade and comfort was a distant second.
While undeniably male, I have preferred unisex or women bikes without ostentatiously girlie colours.
I really enjoyed that, well put together and thank you…

I won't be opting for the polka-dot frame :)

sent via huawei P9

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
<= Look at my avatar

Single tube "unisex" step through frames are heavier and less rigid than "women's" frames with twin tubes. That only matters if you want to go fast (+60 kph downhill) like I do. With two full paniers and/or a trailer packed with fishing gear being able to step through the frame is very comfortable. Those are 28" 700C wheels btw.

I have a Velo mans saddle with the centre bit cut out:
- cool air flow during the summer prevents sweating
- lots of space for men's bits
= 70+ km rides without discomfort

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
<= Look at my avatar

Single tube "unisex" step through frames are heavier and less rigid than "women's" frames with twin tubes. That only matters if you want to go fast (+60 kph downhill) like I do. With two full paniers and/or a trailer packed with fishing gear being able to step through the frame is very comfortable. Those are 28" 700C wheels btw.

I have a Velo mans saddle with the centre bit cut out:
- cool air flow during the summer prevents sweating
- lots of space for men's bits
= 70+ km rides without discomfort
I think your bike is the same as I am looking for, can you tell me the make and model please?

sent via huawei P9

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is a Decathlon Riverside 3 from about 2009 (?) found in the skip... :)

I salvaged the frame, stem, front wheel and the fork everything else is new or borrowed from my previous bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
AKW's bike is quite nice really.
Not long ago, the Marin Fairfax SG2 IG with Nexus-8 was on offer for £299. It's no longer on special offer but they may come back by the time you return to the UK. http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=4801
Get a BBS01 with 15AH downtube battery from Woosh and an Suntour NCX SP12 seat post to complete, total cost about the same as the Big Bear, £1,050, but with Nexus hub gear.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
AKW's bike is quite nice really.
Not long ago, the Marin Fairfax SG2 IG with Nexus-8 was on offer for £299. It's no longer on special offer but they may come back by the time you return to the UK. http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=4801
Get a BBS01 with 15AH downtube battery from Woosh and an Suntour NCX SP12 seat post to complete, total cost about the same as the Big Bear, £1,050, but with Nexus hub gear.
Trex, if I opted for the BPM kit £599 with battery is there anyone in Southend or elsewhere that could fit the kit?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Woosh suggested that local experts might earn £100 installing the BBS for people if I was in wemsbay I would do it myself.( next to skelmorley, just north of Largs) dyslexia is a bugger.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you buy a Woosh kit they will probably fit it to your bike if you were able to get it to them.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Saddles are a strange and very personal thing! I have a Carrera MTB with what looks like a very uncomfortable, unbranded saddle, yet it fits my pelvic bones and rear perfectly. Same with the Oxygen; the saddle looks even thinner than the Carrera's, but it's a Lookin and, again, it suits me just fine. At 85Kg, I'm no lightweight either. Brooks saddles on the other hand are weapons of torture!