Freego battery Replacement

D

Deleted member 4366

The lockbar sometimes comes with the battery if you get it from China.

D

Deleted member 4366

Set it to lipo, which should be 4.2v per cell. Which charger do you have? Some of them can't do one cell at a time.

D

Deleted member 4366

They're pretty easy to repair if you had replacement cells. Is it LiFePO4 or Li-ion? How many cells are there?

D

Deleted member 4366

10 cells is Li-ion, so LiFePO4 ones are no good.

Nick Langley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone had fun and games with the new Eagle battery fittings not quite matching the old one? When I spend £500 on a battery I don't expect to have to start bodging and drilling to get things to fit.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Nick, just to say, I have nothing to do with FreeGo now. However, if you call Marcin at FreeGo I am sure he would be in a position to assist.

Regards

David

XERIOD3708

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
WEST WILTSHIRE
sites.google.com
Nick,
when my battery failed to charge and needed replacing after 26 months and out of guarantee, the hq in southampton offered to fit the necessary parts and alter things so that the new type of 16a battery would fit which I did buy from freego.

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
At last.........Battery replacement for £299 from ebay sellor
£500+ from Wisper is still way over the top........
China has devalued its currency so cheaper batteries should be available.

Now if only I can get SWMBO's little 36v 8Ah recelled for a bit less

Who has had their Wisper battery recelled and from where ?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi, well done sounds cheap.

Please make sure your new cells come with the correct charger.
Please never leave the new battery plugged into the charger and mains overnight and never charge it in you house. It would also be worth letting your household insurers know you will be charging this battery on the premises.

All the best David

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
£125 total to get her bike working.

New battery cell and charger inc delivery and all taxes from China! -A bargain.
Came within 10 days and took 5 minutes to fully charge.
Actually thought the charger had failed, but no, everything was OK

SWMBO is now happy which makes me happy

Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

Great result. Thank you both for sharing. That will help a lot of people.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
£125 total to get her bike working.
would you write a guide how to recell your Wisper battery and post it as a new thread? it sure will be useful to lots of members.

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
The only thing I can ad was the outlet charger socket.
Basically- out with the old and in with the new.
If ever the Chineese 2A charger fails I'll use the original Wisper 4A charger
You can see the Chineese plug on her bike with my own wisper charger plug in the background.
The Wisper charger socket has 3 pins BUT only 2 wires are connected so it is possible to cut and solder to replace.
From the outside the Wisper battery case would be untouched......only the cell pack would give the game away.

Attachments

Reactions: trex

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Wife's bike with new 36V12Ah battery pack from Chine (DHgate) still going strong

Now my own bike battery has now given up after 5800klm
4 lights to 1 going up two small inclines after full charge and then cutting out on the last incline

China again to the rescue with a custom battery pack that they say WILL fit inside my battery case.........36V 20AH

Price for a smaller 16Ah pack is $299 then a wee bit for tax with the 20Ah - $399
A bit steeper than last time given the exchange rate and the bigger battery pack

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Great to hear the battery is still going strong!

Our batteries are more expensive than generic Chinese cells and should last if properly looked after for many, many years, especially our latest big Samsung batteries with all the clever software. Our small battery is now £299.00 so pretty good value considering there is dealer margin involved and a solid 2year warranty.

If anyone is considering importing batteries from China, you should be paying 6% duty and 20% VAT plus documentation charges when the battery lands in the UK. It is not a great idea to evade paying the tax man!

WARNING

Most importantly, anyone importing batteries must make absolutely certain they have the correct certification and that they are insured against any damages caused if the battery being imported over heats and catches fire after it has entered European territory. The importer is 100% responsible for any damages a faulty battery causes inside Europe. Imagine if the battery overheated in the ship and destroyed the contents of the container, or worse. The importer is responsible. If a faulty battery causes a house fire in the UK, insurers will ask to see certification. If it is not available, the insurers would probably kick the claim out. If however you buy a battery from a business in the UK they are the importer and are responsible for ensuring the correct certification is in place.

If the batteries are are shipped by air (if they arrive in anything less than 5 weeks they will have been), the transport is completely illegal. This would mean that the Chinese battery seller has falsified the paperwork and declared the battery is under 100Wh. The IMPORTER would be found responsible if the falsified records were discovered in the UK. This is a criminal offence.

Passenger and cargo flights will not accept any lithium battery over 100Wh even if it is connected to the bike. We can all imagine the consequences if a battery overheated and caught fire mid flight. The IMPORTER of the battery would be held responsible.

The cheaper prices available from unscrupulous sellers on EBay may seem great value but please consider carefully before buying and ask to see the current certification, which to be legal must be under 12 months old. Make absolutely certain the battery is being declared properly to the shipper, if they are flying the battery they are falsifying the documentation.

Also consider proper battery certification costs $4,000.00 per battery size per year. We pay $8,000 per year for the certification of two batteries. A lot of these cheap battery sellers will not have spent the money getting batteries properly certified, the importer has the responsibility to ensure the correct certification is in place.

Sorry to sound doom and gloom but if you are buying batteries from China you are the importer and responsible.

David

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Crockers

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Importer of just 1 battery can lead to all this???
I had no idea
A downed ship, plane or house destroyed is alarming.
I never gave that a thought when I ordered the 36V 12 Ah battery for SWMBO

DH Gate allow these companies to advertise their products on their site should warn everyone and make this clear to customers of just 1 battery
I was trying to save a little on a £555 quote.

I did pay all duties owed last time! and that 12Ah battery including all fees/taxes amounted to just £125

as an aside
IF the house burned to the ground...all paperwork would be lost!

What size is the small Wisper battery that'll cost me £299?

Advertisers