Freego Eagle - 2013 Model

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
Having said I was very happy with my Eagle on another thread yesterday, when out on my bike today the rear brakes failed! Thats the second time.

The brake lever at the hub rotates through its full radius. The discs are present and do not appear displaced. On the first occasion my dealer - I watched - stripped the rear disc, rebuilt it, replaced it, and it worked!

We are hoping to go away for a couple of weeks later this week and don't have time to take the bike (30 mile round trip) to dealer again.

Any expert here, an idea of what is going wrong?

Many thanks

Arthur

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
Fixed ....
Had a tinker and stripped it down, reassembled, and its working. But its back to dealers as for some reason the pad(s) are not responding to the lever or they stick in housing .... not a pleasant experience when going downhill as happened on first failure!
Arthur

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
can you post a picture of the rear brake? it may save you time to replace the caliper. It's not expensive.

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
can you post a picture of the rear brake? it may save you time to replace the caliper. It's not expensive.
Thank you for responding. Its a Tektro Novela. Bike is still under warranty so dealer is simply going to do as you suggest ie replace the caliper
Arthur

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Only had a problem like this once on FreeGo bikes though not quite to same extent, We replaced caliper and it solved the problem.

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
I haven't posted on here for ages so thought I'd do an update on our findings. We bought 2 x Freego Eagles in June 2013, each with 16Ah battery.
One bike wasn't working properly when we got it home from dealer. He discovered a loose connection so easily fixed.
Very early on we had a series of broken spokes on both bikes. Replaced by dealer. Eventually wheels returned to HO workshop where the wheels were relaced by hand. No issues with spokes since.
I had a brake fail early on - scary as on a steep hill at the time - but again easily fixed as dealer sent me a new caliper and pads. No problems since.
We have two chargers and I suspect one is faulty and is cutting out early. eg battery almost flat after a run in the cold. Onto charger and it cut out after 90 minutes. I was expecting 4-5 hours? Not sure if dealer can check charger?
Batteries are kept inside all year round - for security and health of batteries. Seem to be OK. When new they did 52 miles on full charge, not sure what now.
My bike has done at least 3000 miles and my wife's probably 1500 miles or so.
The above issues look bad but its not intended that way. The bikes have settled down after a few glitches early on and are GREAT. I'm not looking for a new bike anyway but do not regret buying an Eagle. Good bikes.....

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have a Freego Eagle and have to say had no problems at all. I think the motor is maybe a bit underpowered on hills but for flattish trails around here it is fine. Battery is still going strong after nearly four years, and tyres still OK. I have not given it any rough treatment so hoping it will last. Someone told me the battery is lithium phosphate ( I think) which last longer than lithium ion but not sure about that. Overall I have been satisfied with it although looking back I think probably a little overpriced

Advertisers