Freego Raptor

Fat Andy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2016
At the risk of considerable ridicule, I thought I would post an ongoing review of my Freego Raptor and the trials of a 120mile per week commute.
Before I am shouted down I should explain how I ended up with the Raptor.
I am 52, overweight with dodgy knees and quite used to cycling. i have had the luxury of working only 1.5 miles from home and my Trek 7.6fx hybrid was perfectly adequate for that very light use. My office is moving to a location where there is no parking, and the public transport options, though many, are not attractive (1.5 to 2 hours on a bus each way, or train into London and a 2nd train back out) Cycling is clearly the best option, especially as the route is almost flat, but I fear for my knees and stamina!
My bike lives outside, cannot go through the house and there is no way I can get the bike into the back garden other than lifting it over a 6 foot fence. Clearly that effectively rules out most electric bikes. I will freely admit that I'm a bit of a tart and don't like the continental style bikes with all the touring gear added, preferring the naked look, even if it results in a wet back.
I was also purchasing through a ride to work scheme and my employer mandates that I use Evans. Evans don't routinely deal in electric bikes and have an arrangements with ebikes direct.
So given those restrictions I was left with 2 real alternatives. The Momentum Upstart and the Raptor. Despite living in South London, I was unable to see or test either prior to purchase, which was a risk, but the sudden and unexpected reduction in price to £549 for the 11Ah Raptor sealed the deal.

I'm now 2 weeks into ownership and whilst not yet undertaking the long commute, have been using the bike daily. It was all good on delivery although I was expecting more that a folded A3 sheet for a handbook!
In use the range is broadly what I expected given that everyone is trying it out in the car park and friends have been taking it for a quick spin round the block, in that i am getting a little over 10 miles per battery. The feel on the road is a little odd, but the bike is considerably shorter that the Trek and seems a little less stable at speed.
I took the bike on the train into Central London and used it in what must be it's designed environment, finding it quick and easy to handle, certainly quicker than public transport. I have not yet got over the thrill of gliding past lycra clad warriors on their multi thousand pound machines!

I will keep this updated as the daily grind steps up and things begin to wear out!

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Thank you for taking the time to do this review and please don't ever worry about being ridiculed or shot down. Everyone has their own opinion about which bike is best /prettiest /most powerful etc etc but what we as members of this forum really need is real world tests from people who actually own the bikes that we only usually get to see on a retailer's website or if we are lucky a shop together with a short test ride which never really tells us what it is actually like to live with and will it serve our purpose.
Please keep us updated on your experiences.
Cheers.

Reactions: EddiePJ and trex

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
OK so another week or so done. I've had a few of those commutes that are more like riding through a car wash with added muck and grit and both myself and the Raptor have survived. No problems with the electrics.
I have noticed that some of the anciliary bits are of poor quality, but that isn't unexpected given the purchase price. The front reflector has sheared off somewhere leaving just a stub behind and the bell striker is now misformed and incapable of reaching the bell.
Effective range is about 8-10 miles per battery. I'm sure it could go further but there is a marked drop off in urge and eventually the motor cuts after about 2 seconds of load. This is whilst the meter is still showing 2 (of 5) bars, but the battery shows just 1 (of 4) leds. Changing the battery is a bit of an irritation. You can charge it on the bike, but with 2 batteries (not in series) changing is an almost daily event. The plug is a 4 pin plug and although there is a recess to aid location, it's not that easy in the dark and impossible with gloves on!
I think I also need to lengthen the distance between saddle and bars as the stem is very short and my geometry doesn't feel right.
Oh and I can confirm that 16stone and a 50 mph headwind is more that it can handle!

Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Meters should always be used only as an indication of battery health. Depending on the quality of the cells battery sag can show huge variations in remaining capacity. I think that Bosch and Panasonic complete systems have a better shot at it because the variables are better known to the people writing the software.

Reactions: Fat Andy

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Meters should always be used only as an indication of battery health. Depending on the quality of the cells battery sag can show huge variations in remaining capacity. I think that Bosch and Panasonic complete systems have a better shot at it because the variables are better known to the people writing the software.
...or a watt meter, which will tell you exactly what's happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Andy

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes I have one of those. It is a bit of a pain to put on the front of the bike though, more long cable runs. My lipoly lives in the pannier bag and the controller is in the frame above the battery. If I want to be able to read the Watt meter: take off polarised sun glasses, look down into the controller bag. I use the Watt meter more to tell me what has happened and where my battery level is at when I am stopped.

kit_battery.JPG

The CA is wonderful too but not your "normal pedelec rider" basic kit and it takes a dent out of the budget.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes I have one of those. It is a bit of a pain to put on the front of the bike though, more long cable runs. My lipoly lives in the pannier bag and the controller is in the frame above the battery. If I want to be able to read the Watt meter: take off polarised sun glasses, look down into the controller bag. I use the Watt meter more to tell me what has happened and where my battery level is at when I am stopped.

View attachment 13512

The CA is wonderful too but not your "normal pedelec rider" basic kit and it takes a dent out of the budget.
A cheap watt meter will integrate the result for you (giving Wh reading) so no need to constantly monitor. Mine also records peak power and current, and lowest voltage.

Same as this one:

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221955203031&alt=web

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
This week the inevitable happened, a puncture in the rear tyre. After 4 years without a puncture on the Trek, of course I was completely unprepared. No tools, no spare tube and naturally it was raining!
This also highlighted another problem in that the Freego comes with no basic maintenance instructions as to how to disconnect the electrics. In hindsight it was fairly straightforward but daunting for a mechanical idiot.
I'm pretty sure that I am getting some drag from the motor when starting to coast and just before the motor re-engages, probably me being hyper sensitive but it feels a bit odd.
I have discovered a flaw with using my employers ride to work scheme though. Evans and Freego are both fairly keen that the bike should have a "free service" after 6 weeks use. Trouble is that Evans will not assist as it'a a pedelec and e-bikes Direct will assist but I have to go to them which involves a round trip of 150 miles, if it can be done while I wait, 300 miles if not. Not totally impressed!
The longer commute starts this week. How long before I fit some puncture proof tyres?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
This week the inevitable happened, a puncture in the rear tyre. After 4 years without a puncture on the Trek, of course I was completely unprepared. No tools, no spare tube and naturally it was raining!
This also highlighted another problem in that the Freego comes with no basic maintenance instructions as to how to disconnect the electrics. In hindsight it was fairly straightforward but daunting for a mechanical idiot.
I'm pretty sure that I am getting some drag from the motor when starting to coast and just before the motor re-engages, probably me being hyper sensitive but it feels a bit odd.
I have discovered a flaw with using my employers ride to work scheme though. Evans and Freego are both fairly keen that the bike should have a "free service" after 6 weeks use. Trouble is that Evans will not assist as it'a a pedelec and e-bikes Direct will assist but I have to go to them which involves a round trip of 150 miles, if it can be done while I wait, 300 miles if not. Not totally impressed!
The longer commute starts this week. How long before I fit some puncture proof tyres?
Fit them now, then you don't have to worry.

If you are capable of fixing a puncture you can do all the servicing yourself. Its really not hard, and the cost of one service will buy you a good toolkit.

If you want to commute you need to learn these skills anyway, so may as well start now and save a bit of cash.

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Fit them now, then you don't have to worry.

If you are capable of fixing a puncture you can do all the servicing yourself. Its really not hard, and the cost of one service will buy you a good toolkit.

If you want to commute you need to learn these skills anyway, so may as well start now and save a bit of cash.
Apart from the electrics, it's all pretty straightforward but I am a little concerned should I have a warranty issue further down the line and a little miffed that something I have basically already paid for is not available!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Apart from the electrics, it's all pretty straightforward but I am a little concerned should I have a warranty issue further down the line and a little miffed that something I have basically already paid for is not available!
I don't know what motor is fitted to the raptor.

The website at e-bikesdircect.com lists it as a '200Wh', showing a fundamental lack of understanding of what they are selling. It's a shame that no one bothers to check this kind of information. I wouldn't buy something from peeps who can't even copy basic information from one place to another.

That aside, my guess is that it has an SWX motor, and a generic battery and controller.

I have owned and bought/maintained for friends around 20 of the above.

The only failures I've ever had had been out if box. Some kit has gone more than 4000 miles.

Obviously anything mechanical will fail at some point, but I'd guess it's a long way.

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
I don't know what motor is fitted to the raptor.

The website at e-bikesdircect.com lists it as a '200Wh', showing a fundamental lack of understanding of what they are selling. It's a shame that no one bothers to check this kind of information. I wouldn't buy something from peeps who can't even copy basic information from one place to another.

That aside, my guess is that it has an SWX motor, and a generic battery and controller.

I have owned and bought/maintained for friends around 20 of the above.

The only failures I've ever had had been out if box. Some kit has gone more than 4000 miles.

Obviously anything mechanical will fail at some point, but I'd guess it's a long way.
It's even shown as 200Wh on the news section of this site! I didn't have a choice of supplier unfortunately and would have preferred a local supplier.
I'll have a look at the markings on the motor but hope it lasts more than 4000miles, that's just about a years commute.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It's even shown as 200Wh on the news section of this site! I didn't have a choice of supplier unfortunately and would have preferred a local supplier.
I'll have a look at the markings on the motor but hope it lasts more than 4000miles, that's just about a years commute.
Sorry, I can only vouch for stuff that I have actually seen. I've heard others report over ten thousand miles, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If I were to guess, I'd say 3 years/12,000 miles, after which the battery will be on its last legs.

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Sorry, I can only vouch for stuff that I have actually seen. I've heard others report over ten thousand miles, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If I were to guess, I'd say 3 years/12,000 miles, after which the battery will be on its last legs.
Thanks for this. As it's a ride to work bike and I have to pay tax after 3 years, if I keep it, they can have it back then!!

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
OK a few more miles covered another puncture and no real issues. May have to look at the power consumption as there is a marked drop off in "urge" after as little as 2 miles although there is still power getting to the motor.
Whilst I realise that the initial 6 week service is not totally necessary, I'm a bit of a nightmare in that if both the manufacturer and the retailer offer a free service, I expect just that. E bikes direct had no alternative other than a trip to their HQ and Freego were not able to facilitate me using a local dealer. As it's a ride to work bike purchased through Evans, they have agreed to give a free "Silver" service. It will be fun to see what they make of it!

D

Deleted member 4366

From memory, the motor's an Aikema (Q100 type).

The battery is normally 24v 5.5 AH which would account for the very low mileage. I haven't tried one, but I'd guess that there would me huge voltage sag with a heavy person on board, which would account for some of the symptoms you describe. I would say that this sort of bike would be more suitable for a fit regular cyclist, though at 120 miles a week, that'll be you before long.

I don't get the bit about 11Ah. Did they supply two 5.5Ah ones for you to use one at a time, or are they joined together?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
From memory, the motor's an Aikema (Q100 type).

The battery is normally 24v 5.5 AH which would account for the very low mileage. I haven't tried one, but I'd guess that there would me huge voltage sag with a heavy person on board, which would account for some of the symptoms you describe. I would say that this sort of bike would be more suitable for a fit regular cyclist, though at 120 miles a week, that'll be you before long.

I don't get the bit about 11Ah. Did they supply two 5.5Ah ones for you to use one at a time, or are they joined together?
Hi Dave, yes it's 2 X 5.5Ah batteries, both installed on the down tube. When one runs out you swap them over.

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366