Freego Raptor

Fat Andy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2016
That makes sense then. A 24v 5.5Ah battery isn't going to have enough oomph to give assistance like a normal ebike. The two batteries need to be combined somehow, or you need to get a different battery with more power - something like this one that has the same connector, though you would need to check the pins with a meter to make sure that they have the same pin-outs:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/628-24v12ah-bottle-ebike-battery-pack-with-charger-battery.html
Thanks, that's interesting and the price is pretty good as well. Realistic ultimate range is about 8-10 miles per battery at the moment......and it's still dragging too much human!

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Another week in and the longer commute is looming. Fed up with punctures now and will be fitting some Scwhalbe Marathons (green) which are now widely available at about £15 each. Interestingly Freego have been getting opinions on fitting solid tyres to their new machines. Not sure about those in a 700C x 25 size!
During the latest puncture fix, I found quite a quantity of swarf in the front wheel. It was sharp enough to pierce the skin on my fingertips, might explain the punctures.
Like many who have dipped a toe, I am now looking at my Trek 7.6 and wondering what a nice hub motor on the front wheel might do. Motors and carbon forks anyone?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I had a spate of suffering punctures on my dog scooter. I fitted some slime inner tubes and also have those on my bike. I managed to catch one puncture on video. :)

Reactions: Fat Andy

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Well, the big commute starts tomorrow ( yes on a bank holiday!) and right on cue the Raptor has developed a fault, perhaps it's as reluctant as I am.
I'm quite used to the motor cutting at 15mph as I go faster, usually downhill. If I continue to pedal, the motor doesn't cut in again unless I stop pedaling for a while, which obviously I'm reluctant to do as I lose all that lovely momentum. Minor but so frustrating.
I have mentioned it on the Freego Private Facebook group and received a very quick response to contact the technical director. A known fault perhaps?
So whilst I can't escape the commute, it may have to be on the Trek

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Well I'm now getting into the longer commute. As usual events conspired against me and I ended up driving between Sutton, Putney and Barking for a week. After that, the chance to cycle was quite attractive.
The Raptor seems to be coping OK. There is sufficient in the batteries as there are a few long stretches and it's quite flat, only dropping 2 out of 5 bars each way.
Freego were quite prompt with a diagnosis from my description of the intermittent fault, diagnosing a faulty Pedal assist sensor. Not sure how I go about actually getting it fixed as they are in Southampton and I'm not!
The main issue with the commute though is the roads. Take a bow, London Boroughs of Sutton, Merton and Wandsworth. The potholes, crud and poor condition have to be seen to be believed...........my poor backside!

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Another week in and the longer commute is looming. Fed up with punctures now and will be fitting some Scwhalbe Marathons (green) which are now widely available at about £15 each. Interestingly Freego have been getting opinions on fitting solid tyres to their new machines. Not sure about those in a 700C x 25 size!
During the latest puncture fix, I found quite a quantity of swarf in the front wheel. It was sharp enough to pierce the skin on my fingertips, might explain the punctures.
Like many who have dipped a toe, I am now looking at my Trek 7.6 and wondering what a nice hub motor on the front wheel might do. Motors and carbon forks anyone?
I was plagued with punctures on the front wheel after fitting the 8fun kit to my bike. I finally found a small bit of swarf in the rim that was supplied with the motor. They obviously dont check em much after drilling the spoke holes. Typical Chinese quality control, as in lack of.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the qc on there rolex watches are good mine still going :D

• :D

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Time for a quick update. The commute continues partly on the Raptor and partly on the Trek. The Raptor is about 20% quicker in journey time and I generally arrive in better physical shape!
Took the plunge and fitted some Schwalbe Marathons after more and more punctures. I decided to upsize and went for 32C as opposed to the 25C OE tyres. You certainly couldn't go any bigger and I really hope the Marathons are as puncture resistant as they are reputed to be. Refitting the wheel requires disassembly of the rim brakes and fitting whilst the tyre is deflated!
The reasoning was simply to provide a little more air cushion between me and the road.
I doubt that there will be major long term issues with the longevity of the Raptor. Given the number of kamikaze pedestrians and blind drivers I'm encountering, I expect that the Raptor will outlive me!

• :D

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Update time. Still alive and the 100+ miles a week are having an effect. I even had to cut a new hole in my belt! The Raptor has just had a 500 ish mile service at Evans. It feels better and the wheels have been re-trued after a few too many potholes. I was a little surprised that the chain needed replacing so soon although looking at the KMC silver chain that has been fitted, it clearly a more beefy item. Battery life still good but possibly a bit down (poss due to the wider softer tyres?) NO MORE PUNCTURES!!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like you may have to change your name to ' Notso Fat Andy' ;).

Andy D

Aug 30, 2016
Berkshire
Just saw something about the Raptor....but seems even Freego have stopped stocking it. I can't see it.

I do like the look of the Raptor & GTech Sport 'bottle' bikes. Though they don't appear to popular on here....

Reactions: Fat Andy

Fat Andy

Mar 3, 2016
Update time again. Commute going well and at least the weather has been kind No one has knocked me off yet although many have tried. My money is on a bus. Just how are you supposed to pass them? Up the inside is far to risky either from passengers or being forced off the road. The outside appears safer until the bus pulls out, presumably without looking. Seeing as I encounter approx 20 buses each journey, it's a frequent frustration. Anyway, the Raptor..... Overall ok for the journey. I do miss gears though. Standing starts with a hub drive and no throttle are a struggle. I'm coming to the conclusion that whilst the important bits are ok, the ancillaries are very poor. 400 miles from a chain is not good and today a pedal bearing failed. Minor but frustrating. Apparently the advice from Wellgo is to avoid using in the rain. Ha! I wish!!

Acer

Jan 25, 2017
London
I found this thread very interesting. I have been researching ebikes for a while and am in the market for a simple, light weight commuter bike. The Freego Raptor was one of those on my short list. Problem is if you do the basic maths then it is clear this bike can only generate 135 watts of power. Forget the '200 watt' motor as advertised. It only has a 24v 5.5amp battery. If it had a 36v 5.5 amp option then this would ensure the motor delivered at full potential.

I am sure the bike works very well for certain people but can't help thinking you are a bit too big for it Andy. A single gear and 135 watt motor - in real terms - must mean serious strain on the bike with someone 16 stone in the saddle, especially on an incline.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Acer,

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but I would like to suggest that you take a look at the Woosh Karoo which has been extensively reviewed on this site.
The Karoo addresses all your concerns, power, battery, range and of course weight. For full details, please follow this link:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Acer

Jan 25, 2017
London
That looks a very high spec bike for the money. 13 amp battery minimum - nice! Surely something must have been compromised to offer it at that price point? £899 for all that, including disc brakes and the like. Are there any reviews confirming reliability long term?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

I found this thread very interesting. I have been researching ebikes for a while and am in the market for a simple, light weight commuter bike. The Freego Raptor was one of those on my short list. Problem is if you do the basic maths then it is clear this bike can only generate 135 watts of power. Forget the '200 watt' motor as advertised. It only has a 24v 5.5amp battery. If it had a 36v 5.5 amp option then this would ensure the motor delivered at full potential.

I am sure the bike works very well for certain people but can't help thinking you are a bit too big for it Andy. A single gear and 135 watt motor - in real terms - must mean serious strain on the bike with someone 16 stone in the saddle, especially on an incline.
You're mixing up amps and amp-hours. The battery is 5.5 amp-hours, which is a measure of capacity, not current. The current is regulated by the controller and could be anything.

Having said that, i'm sure that you're generally correct. I would guess that the controller is somewhere around 15 amps, which would mean a maximum of 360 watts of input power or about 240 watts of output power. That's not enough for a 16 stone rider to go up hills, but that's not really what it's designed for. It's more for people that already cycle, and just want a bit more power to make their journeys easier.

Acer

Jan 25, 2017
London
You're mixing up amps and amp-hours. The battery is 5.5 amp-hours, which is a measure of capacity, not current. The current is regulated by the controller and could be anything.

Having said that, i'm sure that you're generally correct. I would guess that the controller is somewhere around 15 amps, which would mean a maximum of 360 watts of input power or about 240 watts of output power. That's not enough for a 16 stone rider to go up hills, but that's not really what it's designed for. It's more for people that already cycle, and just want a bit more power to make their journeys easier.
Ah good point, on closer look it is indeed amp hours not amps. As you say the bike still doesn't look ideal for heavy riders.