Fully automatic system

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
hi
Need to get Mrs C back on a bike. Her current 3 speed Nexus gets set in 2nd and not changed as she doesn't like changing gears. Oh and yes she has an auto only driving license.

So my Q is which is the best Fully automatic system out there. One she can just pedal and forget...

Gather there's a few, and I know she needs to try them, but it's hard to find out which does what.

Considering RM Nevo Nuvinci 380, but would like to look at others too.

Thanks

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: Crockers

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
My advice is make sure she tries the automatic system (whichever one you choose), the only one we have found that most people get on with is this SRAM Automatic, this is found on the Momentum bikes. I find the standard NuVinci better than the auto and there have been a few issues with the auto version so make sure you have a local dealer nearby. You can update software but you need a micro usb (from memory). I have heard similar things about the Di2 auto. Not always a fault as such but I would describe both as marmite. Good luck!

Reactions: Crockers
D

Deleted member 4366

I would forget automatic gears. Instead, get her a bike which doesn't need to change gear. All you need is a high torque hub-motor with a speed of somewhere around 170 to 201 rpm. A "250w" BPM would be perfect. Run it at 48v and 20 amps, and pedalling becomes optional, so just leave it in say 6th gear (out of 8) and enjoy the scenery. The Woosh Big Bear LS is close to that, but 48v would be better.

That little folding bike that I got would also be OK. It doesn't have gears, but even with my 100kg and all the steep hills we have around here, it was no problem to ride it around. Basically, any single speed bike with small wheels and a hub-motor should be OK:

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Instead, get her a bike which doesn't need to change gear. All you need is a high torque hub-motor

That little folding bike that I got would also be OK.
Fully agree, way back in 2007 I had the two combined, motor equal to the BPM in a small (20") wheel folder.

This account of a ride back in 2007 shows what such a combination can do.

N.B. There's two dud links on that old webpage, they are below if you want them:

Trailer attachment

Trailer and Towing

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would forget automatic gears. Instead, get her a bike which doesn't need to change gear. All you need is a high torque hub-motor with a speed of somewhere around 170 to 201 rpm. A "250w" BPM would be perfect. Run it at 48v and 20 amps, and pedalling becomes optional, so just leave it in say 6th gear (out of 8) and enjoy the scenery. The Woosh Big Bear LS is close to that, but 48v would be better.

That little folding bike that I got would also be OK. It doesn't have gears, but even with my 100kg and all the steep hills we have around here, it was no problem to ride it around. Basically, any single speed bike with small wheels and a hub-motor should be OK:

Fully agree, way back in 2007 I had the two combined, motor equal to the BPM in a small (20") wheel folder.

This account of a ride back in 2007 shows what such a combination can do.
I have been humming and ha-ing about what to do with my mxus. You guys have just convinced me to put it in a Dahon folder. Why Dahon? Because there is a Ford branded one going for cheap online, cheaper than Decathlon and better equipped!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have been humming and ha-ing about what to do with my mxus. You guys have just convinced me to put it in a Tern folder. Why Tern? Because there is a Ford branded one going for cheap online, cheaper than Decathlon and better equipped!
Tern is Dahon again by the way. There was a bust up in the Hon family, Dr. David Hon who founded Dahon on the one side, wife Florence and son Joshua on the other. The latter two broke away and set up rival Tern.

Much bitterness and threats of legal action, but both companies still seem to be doing ok, despite the hatred.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I edited because I had Tern in my head... What size, 16" or 20"?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I edited because I had Tern in my head... What size, 16" or 20"?
20" better for ride qualities, much closer to a normal bike than a 16" wheel one can be. Also there's various size wheels termed 16" which can cause problem with tyre choices and tyres sometimes so tight they are near impossible to fit.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
After having both Campy super record eps and Shimano di2, i would not have electronic gears again. Both systems let me down badly, especially Campy.

The tech is there, but not the reliability. I don't care about what retailers / marketing tells you, stick with manual at present.

Both systems need maintained, charged, are expensive and a pain in the ass to repair / replace when they go wrong. If your a professional rider with back up team / bikes they are great, but as your only bike stay clear.

I've warned you.:eek:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hmmm. Believe it or not I'm actually thinking the Gtech bike might suit her best.

Didn't think I'd ever say that

D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmm. Believe it or not I'm actually thinking the Gtech bike might suit her best.

Didn't think I'd ever say that
I'd be surprised if it would suit her. Don't forget that it has a small battery abd big wheels. You need small wheels to get the torque from a 250w hub-motor.