Garmin 820. Has anyone bought one?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Yes i have one. Sold Nyon, replaced with Purion and 820. Great bit of kit, works well, fits neatly on bike. Can't really say more.Never used random ride. Just head out sometimes no plan.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes i have one. Sold Nyon, replaced with Purion and 820. Great bit of kit, works well, fits neatly on bike. Can't really say more.Never used random ride. Just head out sometimes no plan.
Is the mapping useable on the small screen? For similar money the 1000 trecking is also on my table...

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I've got the Edge 1000 with the random ride facility. I've tried it a few times but not really impressed with the routes offered. If you buy it from a retail shop at least you will be able to test it and see the routes offered before you dive in. The Edge Touring has the random ride function for less money.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've got the Edge 1000 with the random ride facility. I've tried it a few times but not really impressed with the routes offered. If you buy it from a retail shop at least you will be able to test it and see the routes offered before you dive in. The Edge Touring has the random ride function for less money.
Halfords have the 1000 on offer but not sure how it will fit in the giant road ebike. Ok on the mtb, now I have the purion the bars are clear.

• Informative

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Halfords have the 1000 on offer but not sure how it will fit in the giant road ebike. Ok on the mtb, now I have the purion the bars are clear.
These photos should help.. If you can't find the bracket let me know as I'm on the way to work and short of time to find out where I bought it from. 20170213_094800.jpg

Attachments

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
It comes with an out front mount and edge remote in a kit
I seem to remember it was a problem fitting the out front mount along side the Giant computer. I spent at least 2 hours trying different combinations. The best way was to reverse the mount to behind the bars but I didn't like the look of it. Hence the stem mount which gives reasonable access to the Giant computer and I feel it looks tidy.

• Informative

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I debated between the 820 and 1000. Went for 820 as latest tech vs 1000 about 2 years old. I did like the larger screen but there would be a problem having out front as mentioned. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I like the crash detection support of the 820.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I debated between the 820 and 1000. Went for 820 as latest tech vs 1000 about 2 years old. I did like the larger screen but there would be a problem having out front as mentioned. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I like the crash detection support of the 820.
I have ordered the 1000 explore which also has the crash detection but not the full works as it's a cut down version of the expensive edge 1000 , with the 820 features with a bigger screen..
Or at least that's how I read it.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
No didn't feel it was necessary.. Although I don't suppose a Garmin Edge 1000 is necessary
Tend to agree but it comes as a bundle.. GPS unit, silicone case, out front mount and edge remote..
£306 I think is a good price.
Went to LBS first but they cant even buy them at that price..

• Informative

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
That is a good price. The 820 has a few more features, but nothing you can't live without. If you go to Garmin and do a compare it shows you. This is why I didn't buy the 1000 edge, as the other models have caught up. I'm sure they will have to bring out new 1000 edge soon.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I seem to remember it was a problem fitting the out front mount along side the Giant computer. I spent at least 2 hours trying different combinations. The best way was to reverse the mount to behind the bars but I didn't like the look of it. Hence the stem mount which gives reasonable access to the Giant computer and I feel it looks tidy.
The stem mount I have is from Wiggle and is the - K-Edge Adjustable Stem Mount for Garmin Edge/Forerunner. Not that cheap at £28 but works well.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That is a good price. The 820 has a few more features, but nothing you can't live without. If you go to Garmin and do a compare it shows you. This is why I didn't buy the 1000 edge, as the other models have caught up. I'm sure they will have to bring out new 1000 edge soon.
Discounts tend to suggest new model out soon.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
The K edge works well. Extending it out front makes it so much easier to read. I was surprised to see the Garmin version is very good when I bought my 820 bundle.
Evans prices matched mine, although not happy at first they agreed. Can't see how they can improve on the 1000, as the 820 over 810/800 was only small changes with a 2 year gap in between.

As I said I had the Nyon before all of this and although it was great (large screen). I found it too big for mountain biking .

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Garmin Edge Explore 1000 arrived today from Evans for £306 delivered in 2 days, and first impressions are really good! I know its wasted on me, was a bit pricey and does tons of stuff I will never use, but I like techy stuff so why not?
In the box with it was the Garmin Remote which costs £40 or so on its own and isnt something I would have bought but its there so fitted it to bike..
I have it on the inside left hood and seems out of the way with easy access to its 3 buttons,, On/Off, Lap (not for the oldies) and scroll. Not tried it whist riding but pushing the scroll button does exactly that.. Scrolls through the screens of ride data and the map without taking you hands off of the bars.. This unit also displays incoming texts and calls, but you cant respond to them, which is good, and I also tried the random ride thing which generated 3 x 25 mile bike friendly rides with my home as a starting point in about 30 seconds.
This unit has an Off road option in the settings so am interested to see if it will plan an off road ride as well.
The touch screen is far superior to my 510 and of course it displays in BIG, and also has the phone a friend option in a crash situation.. mmm not sure about that one yet..
remote.jpg