GBoost direct drive review

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Since my BBS01 packed in I have been running this kit as my day to day commuter whilst I found time to fix the hub drive (too many other projects to sort out). As this seems to be a less used kit design I thought I would post a few observations to help others who might be unsure whether this style might suit them

Fitting:
Easy but not trivial. I'd say its slightly easier than a BBS mid drive as there are less cables to connect - simply because there is a little more setting up to do yourself. The BBS is simple as long as you have the correct tools as its a sort of follow the dots thing. This is a simple process but there is a little bit of fiddling around to get the correct distance for the motor. First time around I thought it wouldn't fit one of my bikes - but it did - it just took a bit of work and some spacers. The process is trivial. The actual fiddling requires a little logic.

Performance:
Adequate to good. Its not a moped. You have to pedal but it follows the adage 'Electric bikes are intended to get you going the same speed for less effort not going faster for the same effort'. Its the most bike feel to a kit I have tried. My biggest gripe with the crank drive kit I had was that the motor dictated the way you pedalled. You had to sit in the sweet spot of power and let the motor power you along. Want to spin those pedals faster - tough. Equally the drag is almost imperceptible - even when the motor is off but touching the wheel. Aside from being in charge of actually doing the work, it wouldn't bother you if it stopped working on your way home. My journey has most of the hills on the way to work so I quite often don't turn it on on the way home as I can pedal along above its assistance speed just fine.

And actual power. I can't say I noticed much difference between 250w through the cranks and 250w through the back wheel at the end of the day. I still went up hills swiftly and accelerated away from junctions swiftly. I still was able to pedal in my clothes to the office and not need to shower when I got there. Yes I am marginally hotter on arrival but thats down to my preferred pedalling cadence being faster than the BBS01 would dictate to me.

But. This kit is better suited to a fast bike. I initially fitted it to my mountain bike that I was using with the crank drive kit and it just felt a bit limiting as the power switched just below the cruising speed on that bike. On my fast bike, it accelerated my up to 25kph (ish) and then I didn't find it a problem to put in a bit more effort to go a couple of mph faster. I have seen a few people in the past asking 'which kit should I get to help me up the hills on my road bike commute' and this is probably worth a look. Its light (the whole kit inc battery is the same weight as the BBS01 hub) and efficient.

Its quiet. About the same as a BBS01 in volume. Less high pitched motor noise and more low pitched tyre rub sound. With a headwind you might not hear a thing even when listening keenly.

Drawbacks:
Tyre wear. I have only been running about 6 months or so but its not the tyre wear that I can notice but the grip tape wear. That stuff seems to wear pretty quickly and then in the damp (think morning dew - rather than rain) can get some slipping whilst getting up to speed. With fresh grip tape will grip even in the mud. Can see some additional wear compared to my front tyre in this time but not enough to put me off.
Tyres. It won't be my permanent kit as I like to use winter tyres that wouldn't work very well with it. I still have a while before I need to stop using it but there will be a couple of months of frost and ice when it just won't work for me. For someone not out in slippery conditions (or who uses the same tyres year round) this wouldn't be an issue.
The speed controller isn't as evolved as it could be. I have had to reset it a couple of times (lifted it up once over a stile and the pedal must have turned and the motor whizzed beyond max and it wouldn't play until left turned off for 10 seconds). I suspect an updated map might help.

Its possible to unlock to get more power and let it power you along at speeds above the legal limit. I have had a play around on the private roads of my work site and the main advantage would be the speed. The extra power isn't that noticeable but keeping it rolling longer might be useful for a slower bike or a longer commute.
You are supposed to pay and additional fee for this but its possible without paying. I'm not going to encourage people to do this by saying how its done but if you wanted to PM me I could help point you in the right direction. It would be reasonable to create an off road profile as the phone app supports configurable programs so you could use a legal program on the road and then only switch to the off road profile when you arrived. A single button push on the app resets all the profiles back to legal settings should you decide you have finished any off road riding.

Overall:
If you are reasonably fit and just want occasional assistance on your commute, this might a good direction to look. Yes - Zepplers kit will be better but I'm still on the waiting list for one of those and I don't know when he's doing another run of parts. Its light enough to ride around with the battery off and you will hardly notice.

Want a moped or to get it powering you at 30mph without effort and you're going to be disappointed.

Reactions: Nealh and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for that. Could you explain a bit more about the roller's tape replacement? How long does it last in miles? How easy is it to replace?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks neat and simple a complete friction drive kit unlike Keplers DIY style adapter kit on ES.
What may put off some folks is the 900-1200 euros price tag.
Also real world ability in our winter wet weather and wether it is completely slip/traction proof with the roller tape in place.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
The kite came with 2 replacement strips. Adhesive backed. There are some instructions supplied but I haven't actually got around to replacing mine. Need to do it in the next couple of days. Should be a case of peel and replace. The strips are cut to size and have a diagonal cut to avoid a single lip point.

I reckon I have probably only done say 500 miles and mine is fully worn now. Its worn more quickly than I expected but rather that than the tyres? If using just in the summer I reckon I could get away with no tape to save money but probably not worth it as you can guarantee it will rain on you one day.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking on the site there is no option to buy new adhesive strips so would need a request to by them.
Friction drive system with no battery 699 euros for 250w system not cheap but for an unobtrusive unit with no wheel building or no loss of any gearing sounds good.
Only designed for use with road riding with non knobbly tyres,
site says 30 - 50% extra tyre wear.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Looks neat and simple a complete friction drive kit unlike Keplers DIY style adapter kit on ES.
What may put off some folks is the 900-1200 euros price tag.
Also real world ability in our winter wet weather and wether it is completely slip/traction proof with the roller tape in place.
It suits my needs so well I have nearly bought one of these as a spare:

https://www.eazybike.net

$170 for a similar system including battery.

I have tested with the grip tape and in moderate rain. Its slip proof enough not to notice any difference. Its correct tool for the job at the end of the day. This is a decent option for a light weight build for those who just want a little assistance.

Yes price is a steep but pricing the parts up, you can see where some of the costs go. I suspect Gboost uses the original VESC (the new VESC 6 is £350 on its own) to make it quiet and powerful. Buy the cheaper option above if the motor noise isn't an issue. The price for unlocking is a bit of a cheeky snub. I guess it makes it easier to be road legal in france if you can show the purchase certificate saying its limited to these specs.

I don't know if you have come across Tom Stanton's home made bike. I don't feel comfortable riding without disc brakes (too much traffic and rim brakes aren't enough in the wet for my hills) otherwise that would also be a tempting option. He mounts the motor separately and uses a belt drive pulley to power the rear wheel. Light and powerful and suitable for UK conditions.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Looking on the site there is no option to buy new adhesive strips so would need a request to by them.
Friction drive system with no battery 699 euros for 250w system not cheap but for an unobtrusive unit with no wheel building or no loss of any gearing sounds good.
Only designed for use with road riding with non knobbly tyres,
site says 30 - 50% extra tyre wear.
Yes. I went for the cheapest battery option (its about 900 euros but I fortunately picked a point when the exchange rate was momentarily slightly better) but I still think I get similar battery mileage as with the double sized battery on my BBS01 because its not powering as often (can be removed from the tyre when going downhill or on the flat when you don't need assistance).

I would say my tyre wear probably warrants a replacement every 2-3 years or so. At £15 for a tyre I'm happy to put up with a replacement every 18 months - 2years. It will probably cost me more to get adhesive strips sent over.

Its a stop gap for me. I have another mid drive system arriving (finally) in the new year. Bimoz looks like they are almost ready to send out to backers so I'll be testing that when it turns up.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The nice bit is that you can engage or disengage the drive as and when you need it so can see very good mileage can be done with this fitted for occasional assistance only.
A light weight touring or hybrid bike would be ideal use for this drive.

figi

Just Joined
Feb 11, 2018
Italy
"Its possible to unlock to get more power and let it power you along at speeds above the legal limit. I have had a play around on the private roads of my work site and the main advantage would be the speed. The extra power isn't that noticeable but keeping it rolling longer might be useful for a slower bike or a longer commute.
You are supposed to pay and additional fee for this but its possible without paying. I'm not going to encourage people to do this by saying how its done but if you wanted to PM me I could help point you in the right direction. It would be reasonable to create an off road profile as the phone app supports configurable programs so you could use a legal program on the road and then only switch to the off road profile when you arrived. A single button push on the app resets all the profiles back to legal settings should you decide you have finished any off road riding.!

If it is possible to unlock the Gboost bringing the maximum speed limit from 25 Km / h to 36 Km / h, can you tell me how can I get this?
do you have to pay anything?
I would need it for private use.
Thank you

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Hi

Have sent you a direct message. Would rather not make anything totally public for a manufacturer that is working hard to make sales.