Gear adjustment

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
Hi.

I've done 50 miles on my e bike and I'm loving it. (Apart from sore bottom)

Today I was riding on road and the highest gear (smallest cog) was not going in so I turned to little cog on the shifter half turn which made it better.

But then (wish I never did it) turned it again but I couldn't remember which way I turned first time so I ended up turning it quite a bit. Now my gear shifying don't feel right :(

It's 9 gears in total. The 1st gear don't sound right and the 9th gear struggles to go in.

I turned it back to where I think it was which is 2 clicks from it being fully turned in clockwise. But I just can't get it right now and is still struggling to go to smallest cog.

Any ideas as I would like to get it back to the first time I turned it as it was quite acceptable.

Thanks

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no you index the gears with the barrel adjuster like at the end of that vid.

have you got a bike stand as it will help.

Reactions: Xdrive

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Did you buy it new from a local shop? Mine was acting up a bit.. not changing correctly so rode over to bike shop and the sorted it out and bought me a coffee while I waited.
Sorting out gears is one of those simple jobs this is so easy.. providing you know what your doing and no amount of youtube vids has helped me sort mine out..

Reactions: Xdrive

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
no you index the gears with the barrel adjuster like at the end of that vid.

have you got a bike stand as it will help.
I don't have a bike stand but will invest in one as soon as. I spent half an hour riding bike and trying to get the shifting right with the black knob. Thanks for your help.

Will take it to bike shop where I bought it from next time I'm riding if I don't get it fixed by then.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Will take it to bike shop where I bought it from.

get them to show you how to do it as it wont take 5 mins ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that wont work with my bike :(

D

Deleted member 4366

Before you do anything, you must fix the end-stop screws correctly. The shops often don't do that, which means you can do some serious damage if you attempt to adjust the cable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:)

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
After another 30 mins of trying to adjust whilst riding bike I took it in for first service.

Now it's perfect. Was due to cable stretch.

Done almost 100 miles in first few rides.
Only downsides are when motor is off you really can feel the weight of bike and the cutout is too soon. Should be minimum 17.5mph Not 15.6mph.

D

Deleted member 4366

Should be 15.6 mph. The 10% tolerance is to allow for measurement error. Unless you measure your speed with a proper calibrated device, you have no idea what your real speed is. What you see on the display is just an unvalidated number.

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
Should be 15.6 mph. The 10% tolerance is to allow for measurement error. Unless you measure your speed with a proper calibrated device, you have no idea what your real speed is. What you see on the display is just an unvalidated number.
I'm talking about legal speed being increased to 17.5mph :)

How can I get my bike to the top end of the tolerance so it is within legal limit. 17mph would be fine.

D

Deleted member 4366

You missed the point. You might already be there. If you set your speed to 17. 5 mph on the display and that's misreading by 2 mph, you'll be illegal. If you're not worried about that, you might as well derestrict it completely.

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
You missed the point. You might already be there. If you set your speed to 17. 5 mph on the display and that's misreading by 2 mph, you'll be illegal. If you're not worried about that, you might as well derestrict it completely.
Right but I could also be going 14mph even though it's showing 15.6.

Howe do I go about checking exact speed and then raising to higher limit if at all possible.

I don't want points on my licence for roding a bike :)

Related Articles

Advertisers