Gear Hangers

theburtjnr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 10, 2015
Hello, I have a Bafang HD (1000W) on a Giant Roam 2 Hybrid (Aluminium frame) with a Shimano XT set up. I keep finding that the shifting goes awry regularly. LBS seems to think that the rear hanger keeps getting pulled out of alignment due to power of motor. Does anybody have any advice on hangers that may be suitable for the job. Many thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you fitted a gear sensor? One will improve your shifting a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

Gadfly

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2018
Lincolnshire
I find it difficult to see how the power of the motor can pull a derailleur hanger out of alignment as the chain pull exerts its force on the cassette. Is it aligned correctly in the first place? You can buy a suitable tool for checking and adjusting it.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I`d give that LBS a miss,
i have a cheap and aging Shimano Tourney on my HD and it zips through the gears with ease
Try replacing the derailleur if it goes out of sync.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I can imagine that if the hanger were out of alignment, even by a few degrees that the power of say 1300 watts .. cyclist + motor would skew it more. The solution would be a replacement by a stronger more robust and new hanger. Premium gear kit is designed for lightness not strength, and weight reduction is not a requirement with an ebike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can imagine that if the hanger were out of alignment, even by a few degrees that the power of say 1300 watts .. cyclist + motor would skew it more.
The hanger is in the trailing chain path from the chainwheel, so the only power it receives is due to it's own jockey wheel and chain friction/drag. It's not subject to any rider or motor load, that being taken by the rear wheel sprockets.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

theburtjnr

Dec 10, 2015
I have fitted a gear sensor. I find it works intermittently when the gears are working.
I find it difficult to see how the power of the motor can pull a derailleur hanger out of alignment as the chain pull exerts its force on the cassette. Is it aligned correctly in the first place? You can buy a suitable tool for checking and adjusting it.
Thanks for the reply, I will invest in a tool to check it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

theburtjnr

Dec 10, 2015
I really appreciate your help on this. I am a bit of an amateur when it comes to bike maintenance.... so thanks.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
First thing to check is if there is too much slack in the gear change cable wire and it's not sticking in the outer cable support.
Secondly, is the little grey lever on top of the RD pushed up tight toward the top pivot point (away from the top jockey wheel).
If still not sure, google for videos on how to set the wire tension and setting-up a RD - be patient if not mechanically minded.
Don't start buying outrageous kit before doing some simple checks.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

My first thoughts are that your LBS is incorrect in their diagnosis. Like Flecc, I can't see how the derailleur can get any force from the side that's large enough to bend the hanger, except, maybe, if you had some serious mash-ups when changing gear. More likely, the cause will be something simple, like cable slipping or derailleur not set up correctly.

One might assume that the LBS knows how to adjust a derailleur, but there are always exceptions. If he's right about the hanger getting bent, think about other reasons that might happen, like throwing in the back of a car the wrong way up, getting bashed in the garage when leant up against something, throwing the bike on the ground on its side, etc.

Advertisers