Gear indicator window removable?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Anyone know if the clear plastic window on the gear indicator is easily removable?

I'd like to dab some neon paint on the red indicator so that I can see it at night. Is the window removable without it breaking?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I don't know if it pops out from the front but I wouldn't advise getting at it from the back :eek:
The first time I fitted a new cable i took the back off by mistake :rolleyes: inside there's a surprisingly intricate collection of moving parts, the indicator itself is delicate plastic and has a small mounded pin on one end and is attached to one half of the case, the pin locates in an equally small hole in one of the moving parts in the other half of the case. Putting the cases back together I found it difficult to get the pin lined up with the hole :(
Bear in mind I was doing this with the shifter assembly off the handlebars but still attached to the bike via the cable :oops:

Someone will probably tell us there's a "sweet spot" you just need to press and the window pops out ;)

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Thanks. It looks like I would need to remove that part, which I'm dubious of doing following gringo's warning.

It looks like I can buy a spare one for £7 so I might order one and see if the clear screen easily removes, without having to remove mine to experiment.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-slx-slm7000-indicator-unit-right-y06m98060/

Check if there aren't any cover plate for sale. I had an XT shifter with that indicator and bought a cover plate to replace the indicator with. Got really good.

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Check if there aren't any cover plate for sale. I had an XT shifter with that indicator and bought a cover plate to replace the indicator with. Got really good.

Forgive my ignorance but what’s the advantage/reason for covering it with a blanking plate?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why dont you just upgrade the shifter? cant even see why you want to look at it tbh,

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU

Not cover the indicator. You replace whole indicator assembly with a plate that screws on top of the shifter housing. Afterwards it looks like a normal shifter.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Is there a reason for people not wanting to see the gear indicator, and going to the lengths of replacing it with blanking plate?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I recently rode an Orange eMTB that had di2, and really couldn't see the point of it on a 1x set up, or even on an ebike at all.

I can see how it could be a valuable asset on a 2x or 3x set up on a pedal bike, but beyond that, nah..

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I recently rode an Orange eMTB that had di2, and really couldn't see the point of it on a 1x set up, or even on an ebike at all.

I can see how it could be a valuable asset on a 2x or 3x set up on a pedal bike, but beyond that, nah..
it must be perfect with a 2x/3x road bike. Especially when competing. Always get the perfect shift and not bother too much about shifting makes you faster.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The sacrificial/replacement part has arrived. I can now see that I wouldn't have had a cat in hells chance of just pulling the clear plastic window off mine, as its held in with two tiny screws at the rear.

Advertisers