Gearing and motor

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Karen, I've just had a go on my Haibike using the 3rd biggest rear gear and I found it impossible to go more than 10 mph/16kph on a flat road. It doesn't matter which power setting you use. The pedal revolutions are way too high to go any faster! Dropping the rear gear to 5th immediately gave me 15mph. Hope this helps?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There are 10 gears but I haven't got lower than the top 3 (going up hill).
I'm fairly sure Karen has used the top 3 gears.

Karen, I've just had a go on my Haibike using the 3rd biggest rear gear and I found it impossible to go more than 10 mph/16kph on a flat road. It doesn't matter which power setting you use. The pedal revolutions are way too high to go any faster! Dropping the rear gear to 5th immediately gave me 15mph. Hope this helps?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Andy88 I am guessing that is a 26" wheel? With my 28" wheel and big tyres I am mostly in 3rd and 4th.

I am still convinced that the Yamaha motor is a much better option than the Bosch for road use. It has normal cogs (sometimes 2 of them) on the front. I have noticed here in town people zipping around on Bosch powered bikes at very low cadences. That tells me the tiny front cog is there to stop the motor overheating when riders don't put enough effort into pedalling.
Two cogs at the front does give more gear options, so probably better suited to a road bike.

No concerns of the Bosch motor overheating.

I thrashed mine by dragging some roadies up Saddleworth Moor - long climb, steep in places.

No detectable heat in the motor casing when I got to the top.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Two cogs at the front does give more gear options, so probably better suited to a road bike.

No concerns of the Bosch motor overheating.

I thrashed mine by dragging some roadies up Saddleworth Moor - long climb, steep in places.

No detectable heat in the motor casing when I got to the top.
Thats good feedback, thank you RobF

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry to go off topic, but......

The video maybe of future interest.

The clip that I most hate on Youtube. It makes me cringe every time that someone posts it up on here.

Poor workshop practice in laying tools and components on the ground, uncertainty of what he doing at various stages and tools that would be better suited to a market stall. Just listen to that ratchet!

That tells me the tiny front cog is there to stop the motor overheating when riders don't put enough effort into pedalling.
I can confirm from my mountain climbing journeys that the motor doesn't even begin to get warm. The battery on the other hand, gets almost worryingly hot.

Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

The clip that I most hate on Youtube. It makes me cringe every time that someone posts it up on here.

Poor workshop practice in laying tools and components on the ground, uncertainty of what he doing at various stages and tools that would be better suited to a market stall. Just listen to that ratchet!

I can confirm from my mountain climbing journeys that the motor doesn't even begin to get warm. The battery on the other hand, gets almost worryingly hot.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lucky you aren't in my kitchenette when I am working on the bike... :rolleyes:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

I agree about the vid - to a point.

A parts tray may have hampered the camera/spectator view, so that could be the reason for plonking the stuff on the ground.

Interesting comment about the Bosch battery getting hot when climbing.

I've not noticed that, although the couple of times I've checked temperature after a climb all I've done is put my palm on the motor.

Didn't occur to me to check the battery.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
For existing Bosch owners, riders, how much does skill play a part in smoothness? Is there any significant changes, improvements from say a basic 2015 model to the latest 2016/17 CX?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Ok, next Q, for Bosch owners, riders, how many of you who were buying a new or upgraded bike would buy Bosch again? Or would you buy a different brand?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Ok, next Q, for Bosch owners, riders, how many of you who were buying a new or upgraded bike would buy Bosch again? Or would you buy a different brand?
I've told you this before in my case, I'd probably buy a Yamaha over the Bosch.

• Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thousands of trouble free miles on my two Bosch bikes.

I like the ride of the system, so would certainly buy another.

It would be the safe, and in some respects, boring, choice.

But safe and boring has its advantages when buying such an expensive consumer goodie.

The latest Yamaha would be my second choice, not for any claimed increase in poke, but for the 500wh battery.

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Or it could be the 500 posts a day you make getting you mixed up [emoji14] :)

I reckon you're a rear hub motor man with a throttle and speed sensor. Now hurry up and get back home, you know it'll be light with blue skies and nice and warm :D
LOL u are right, I can't wait it is so confusing reading I really need to get on a bike if I still can and ride, ride, ride..

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Or it could be the 500 posts a day you make getting you mixed up [emoji14] :)

I reckon you're a rear hub motor man with a throttle and speed sensor. Now hurry up and get back home, you know it'll be light with blue skies and nice and warm :D
Going back to eddiep on scruffy workshops, I think he may have a seizure here… :)

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
In this Bosch video what is the clunking and how was it fixed?
Ah, that takes me back.

Some of the early Bosch bikes acquired that popping noise, which went away of its own accord on some.

The factory fix is to remove the cover and redistribute the white grease inside - there's not a lot of it, so it isn't packing job.

A home fix, which doesn't always work, is to play a hair dryer on the casing and spin the cranks.

Warming the motor softens the grease sufficiently for it to redistribute itself.

Related Articles

Advertisers