Gearing and motor

Karen HB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 26, 2016
Suffolk
OK, I feel like a right plonker! Had the bike out today with the motor turned off so I could test/feel the gears without any assist. The mechanism was a bit clunky to start with but after cycling the gears for a while it settled down and became very smooth. Then turned the motor on and WOW! No problem with motor or clunky pedals. Went for a fairly long ride with some decent off-road bits and it was amazing! Managed 32 kmph and found the optimum gearing for on road as well as climbing those hills off-road. Can't wait to get out on it again!
I have to thank everyone for their help and advice, even though it actually turns out that it was mainly me being a bit thick! But I'm glad someone suggested turning the motor off and also working through all the gears, I would have looked a right bozo if I'd just gone straight to the shop.
Thanks guys, you've been great!

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
OK, I feel like a right plonker! Had the bike out today with the motor turned off so I could test/feel the gears without any assist. The mechanism was a bit clunky to start with but after cycling the gears for a while it settled down and became very smooth. Then turned the motor on and WOW! No problem with motor or clunky pedals. Went for a fairly long ride with some decent off-road bits and it was amazing! Managed 32 kmph and found the optimum gearing for on road as well as climbing those hills off-road. Can't wait to get out on it again!
I have to thank everyone for their help and advice, even though it actually turns out that it was mainly me being a bit thick! But I'm glad someone suggested turning the motor off and also working through all the gears, I would have looked a right bozo if I'd just gone straight to the shop.
Happy ending to a wonderful post and comments.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Lucky you aren't in my kitchenette when I am working on the bike... :rolleyes:
But you aren't a paid professional. :)

A parts tray may have hampered the camera/spectator view, so that could be the reason for plonking the stuff on the ground.
On the other hand, this looks to have been a Bosch training day, so the emphasis should have been on correct workshop practice, and even more so as it was being filmed..
A small stand alone fold up work station such as below would have taken up no more room than the space that the tools etc have taken up by being slung on the floor. :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good stuff.

Pilot error probably had a lot to do with it, but there might have been a software glitch which was sorted by turning the system off and on a couple of times.

One thing to be aware of is Bosch bikes don't like pedal pressure when the pedals can't turn.

That can happen if you are stopped on a gradient with the brake on and with your foot on the pedal ready to restart.

You might get an error message and no power.

No harm done, but you will need to stop for a few seconds to let the system reset.

Similarly, the system doesn't like being switched on while you are pedalling.

That can happen if you forget to turn it on before moving off.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
="chris130256, post: 343531, member: 17357"]Does it happen if you try it with the power off? What I mean is, as a non assisted bike, with the smallest rear cog, does it still take high revolutions of the pedals to do more than 16 kph? I'm just trying to establish if there is a problem in the drive system.

Well done Chris130256, good deduction and method.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is a very small (tiny in fact) learning curve, glad you have your training wheels off now! For your next trick have a go on a bike with a hub motor, more things to learn. :)

• Agree

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Bosch vs Yamaha
Thanks, he did contradict himself a bit. Hmm I'd have to try a Yamaha before buying, I'd prefer optimum power at even higher cadences than my Bosch currently gives, so may not get on with the Yamaha that appears to give optimum power at even lower cadences.

• Useful

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks, he did contradict himself a bit. Hmm I'd have to try a Yamaha before buying, I'd prefer optimum power at even higher cadences than my Bosch currently gives, so may not get on with the Yamaha that appears to give optimum power at even lower cadences.
Im wondering how the Shimano Steps stacks up? Or even the latest bafang mid drive

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Im wondering how the Shimano Steps stacks up? Or even the latest bafang mid drive
Of course the only way to know is to try first. I tried a classic Bosch before buying and knew it suited me. A good test ride is essential if you're fussy like me.

I've tried a Bafang CD and dislike it immensely.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Of course the only way to know is to try first. I tried a classic Bosch before buying and knew it suited me. A good test ride is essential if you're fussy like me.
Yes me too, I like the neatness of the pre built and if course the support, but would like to have a throttle, which none of the big brands have.

Do u have a pic of your bike?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Heres a 2016 pitch on shimano steps and how they say they have addressed drivetrain stress and chain dropping.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Interestingly enough so many Shimano steps reviews were in German, that surprises me.

If we liken Shimano to an iphone then as with Apple who make both the hardware and the software creating tighter integration then can the same be said for Shimano between drive and gears?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice looking bike, thanks.

Here is a good maxdrive review
Reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.

The Bafang Max Drive performs just the same as a Bosch Classic, and even looks like one - a bit clunky.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's no advance, merely a copy of European technology of which there's a long history in the Far East.

It's also a lesson for everyone who tells me how fast technology moves on.

The Bosch motor dates from 2010, seven years later and about the best you can say of the latest thing from China is it's a bit cheaper.

Related Articles

Advertisers