Gearsensor for Bafang Mid Drives BBS-01, BBS02, BBS-HD

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If anyone is using one on their bike at the moment, are they any good?

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
It comes as standard on the Greenway City Cross (Maxdrive).

It works just fine, but for my liking it cuts the power rather abruptly and for too long a period of time compared to the sensor on say a Kalkhoff Impulse drive.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

It works just fine, but for my liking it cuts the power rather abruptly and for too long a period of time compared to the sensor on say a Kalkhoff Impulse drive.
I thought it might, as it cuts the power in exactly the same way as the brake sensor, quick to cut power, slow to resume.

I do believe that some of the later generations of BBSxx's, have a connection to the controller that alleviates those issues.

I've had a few on different bikes.
They used to do two different models for either hub or derailleur gears, now one size fits all.
Personally I feel they cut the motor for too long.
I spoke with the sales guy at gear sensor in Czech Republic and he advised the new model had shorter delay, but having received samples I can't feel it, still too long for my taste. (Plus I can't fathom out how they would reduce the delay as works from brake cut out).
With 250W rated motors I find it's only really the higher assist levels where it can be advantageous.
Consequently I now opt to use a quick dab of the rear brake cut out switch as and when required rather than suffer the delay every shift.
Hub gears, I reduce the time to stop (of chainwheel) in programming and find a slight pause of pedaling or back-pedal works fine.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have never had expensive gears and the lower end ones tend to need you to stop applying pressure even on an un-powered bike. So it has become a natural reflex and I have never (OK maybe once) had problems changing gears so I feel this is another gadget. Now if you are riding a 750 W BBS02 or a BBSDHD this might be more useful, but not needed on a BBS01 or 350 W BBS02 if you change your gears in the proper manner.

All of the above applies to use on the road or bike trails, not off road.

Absolutely. More required for the higher powered bikes more commonly in use in the states. Higher end gears are far slicker than the likes of a tourney level, but equally 7-8 speed is more forgiving to set up/tuning than the 10-11 speed, lightweight stuff.
I tend to stick to 9/10 speed stuff of mid range Shimano as don't need the weight reduction the top end stuff offers but can appreciate the slick shifting they extend, plus better cassette ratios and range available.
If you did want to try one, I have one I took off my off-road bike in preference for the rear brake solution you're welcome to for a tenner.

D

Deleted member 4366

I tried one on a BBSHD. I thought it was really good. I'd definitely recommend one for that motor.

Tip1

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2015
I am looking to install one of these to my BBS HD, how long would you say the cut out time is ?

Thanks

Ricky

Tip1

May 29, 2015
Ahh brilliant :)

Now to find somewhere to buy one from :)

Ricky

D

Deleted member 4366

I am looking to install one of these to my BBS HD, how long would you say the cut out time is ?

Thanks

Ricky
It works perfectly on the BBSHD. I highly recommend one.

Tip1

May 29, 2015
Brilliant :)

Is there as much lag as when using the brake sensor Dave ?

D

Deleted member 4366

I didn't notice anything unsatisfactory. They shortened the pause time on the later ones.