Getting ready for the 2016 Swiss Alps trip.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

now has ebike class ;) fastest way to hospital

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
must be something like this

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Careful SW you are writing correct English... :p

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
FFS!!! That was mental - bodies everywhere! Worse that an amateur MX club race.

Looked wicked fun though...

One of my mates has done the event three times and I reckon that he certainly has a screw loose! Riding with him on the odd occasion that I have, is a scary experience. I hate following him, and he just doesn't for anything.

Another couple of shots from the other day.

Sadly no riding yesterday, today is Swiss Independence day, so plenty of carnivals and events going on to entertain, but I'm going to nip out for an early evening ride/climb before the evening events kick off.
I'm still having an issue with gear four and five constantly jumping out, which I thought that the local mtb bike shop and myself had sorted out, so I'm going to replace the already new chain with another this morning, and try again. I hadn't realised just how much that I use the cassette down to gear five. Beyond that, I just skip to the highest.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Today nearly did for me. Roughly 35 miles with an elevation gain approaching 8,000ft! Made even worse by the rocky terrain. I'm f****d!!!!!

This was just the start of the ride.

I'm missing mud... Not!!!!

I've certainly honed my rock garden climbs and descents over the last week. Clips can make things tricky, but it's no big deal. The main thing is not to look at the frequent cliff drops to the side of the trail. Another thing about climbs such as this, is that anyone who says that you need loads of torque for climbing, is telling lies. Gearing is definitely
more important than torque.

And how about this. Not a bad place to hold a wedding. :)

Last edited:

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Breath taking views!
How does the battery stand up to that sort of mileage and ascent?
Im assuming you must alternate modes?

Keep the pictures coming, My personal favourite is the one with the heli rotors captured!

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The weather helps. :)

Yep two batteries, which is kind of annoying as I'm tending to only use a quarter or so of the second.

Power setting wise, eco gets used for probably minutes only, then I guess 75 percent tour and the rest in sport. This is pretty much the first time that sport mode has ever been required. I never tend to use it at all in the UK.

Reactions: Lee Parker

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Yep two batteries, which is kind of annoying as I'm tending to only use a quarter or so of the second.

Power setting wise, eco gets used for probably minutes only, then I guess 75 percent tour and the rest in sport. This is pretty much the first time that sport mode has ever been required. I never tend to use it at all in the UK.
But it's got to be a great feeling to know that you can keep going and your not going to run out of power.

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK

Ah Two batteries!.... Makes sense! :)
Yeah Sport is nice to have but I find Tour ample, for outrageous climbs I do use Sport Ive yet to find a climb that warrants turbo!!

Another lovely day of riding ahead?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Another lovely day of riding ahead?
Sadly only time to grab a late afternoon ride of 17.7 miles, seven of which were solid climbing with an elevation gain of 5,349' over the seven miles, then roughly ten miles of lovely down hill riding to follow. Sadly slightly spoilt by countless walkers, but never mind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/664359761

Certainly nice to have the bike covered in dust for a change, rather than mud. Rain forecast for tomorrow, not that I'm overly worried about that. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
After yet another day of hiking, a short ride at 6.1 miles with the climbing being 3.6 miles along with an elevation gain of 1,907ft over the 3.6 miles.

It was also the first ride in the rain, and to say that it was interesting would be an understatement. When the mtb guide book says to ride down only, and only to be ridden by highly experienced riders, they aren't kidding.
I didn't try to ride down I tried to ride up, big mistake as it was almost impossible! I'd have definitely come off big time had I ridden down though, as there was bridge constructed from old metal railway sleepers, and it was as slippery as ice. going over it walking, I had to hold onto the hand rail with one hand and bike in the other, just to stop myself from falling. Hitting it in the wet when riding down would be a disaster that had a very long drop.

https://www.strava.com/activities/665535036

Strange how photos never really show the true steepness of something.

Find of the day.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Baby crocodile lucky you didn't bump into its mum or dad :D.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly a very disappointing ride yesterday evening/night. I set out to get some serious elevation gain in, and my chosen route can only be ridden in the evening/night when the mountain is empty of hikers. The weather turned bad in respect of low cloud and it was too dangerous for me to continue climbing, so called a stop to the ride after just 9.6 miles of climbing and 4,975 ft of elevation gain. It was frustrating as I had already hiked the route during the day, and it was a tough climb to back up it again in the evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/666875897

I only had time for a quick trip around the village first thing this morning filming it, so no real climbing today. Just 4.8 miles and 1,028 ft of elevation gain.

Tomorrow is my last chance of getting a ride in, and even that is going to be limited by time. :(

Reactions: chris130256

Related Articles

Advertisers