Giant bikes. Opinions on these two?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
James, neither is very good for your weight.
The cheap one has cheap coil fork, the more expensive one has cheap air fork. The motor is not particularly good. Follow SW advice.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Hi James,

The main difference between the 2 is the motor, the Pro motor delivers the power a lot differently to the standard motor and has one extra top end assistance mode. I would recommend trying both bikes to get a feel for the different motors, the pro motor really is great fun!

Other than that, as above, the +2 has a coil fork and the +1 has an air fork, as well as upgrades to the drivetrain, wheels and brakes.

Luke

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Hi James,

The main difference between the 2 is the motor, the Pro motor delivers the power a lot differently to the standard motor and has one extra top end assistance mode. I would recommend trying both bikes to get a feel for the different motors, the pro motor really is great fun!

Other than that, as above, the +2 has a coil fork and the +1 has an air fork, as well as upgrades to the drivetrain, wheels and brakes.

Luke
Ok thanks for the advice.he said yesterday and bike in this price bracket would be suitable for me weight.

Ok so I think I've narrowed it down to three. Are these all suitable for 21st (on a diet will be down to 19st soon enough) and medium trail riding?

HardSeven 4.0

http://www.bikebasesouthend.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=1574&PICFILE=1574&STKNR=1574&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=616668

HardSeven 2.0

http://www.bikebasesouthend.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=3463&PICFILE=3463&STKNR=3463&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=816078

Trek powerfly 5

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-powerfly-5-2018-electric-mountain-bike-EV310183?lsft=esvt:59566-GOUKE4815228,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1323172-1,esvcrea:232331975697,esvplace:,esvd:m,esvtg:aud-431406424262:pla-323705659137,esvo:EV310183-21.5-RED,esvaid:50080&esvt=59566-GOUKE4815228&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1323172-1&esvcrea=232331975697&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-431406424262:pla-323705659137&esvo=EV310183-21.5-RED&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgK-Ni6rf2wIVsQrTCh3P5ACWEAQYASABEgJsK_D_BwE

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What 'isn't particularly good' about the motor?
Isn't it a standard Yamaha one ??
the OP's weighs about twice the average, he needs a motor twice as strong, something like a BBSHD kit on an Orange bike.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
The cheap one has cheap coil fork, the more expensive one has cheap air fork. The motor is not particularly good. Follow SW advice.
Going to bikebase today. Are they good there? Had dealings with three shops now, all rubbish. Just wanted to sell whatever they had in stock at the time even though you guys have said it's not suitable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Going to bikebase today. Are they good there? Had dealings with three shops now, all rubbish. Just wanted to sell whatever they had in stock at the time even though you guys have said it's not suitable.
Danny is fine, he sells Haibikes and Giants, rides a Haibike himself but he weighs 10st.
Apparently, he is No3 Giant dealer in the South East.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There is nothing wrong with Suntour forks, the air fork is not in same league as Rockshox Pike or Fox 34 performance but its far from cheap and nasty. Riese & Mueller wouldn't use them if they were. For riding James is doing it should be fine.

The motor is Yamaha PW which James has already tested on Haibike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would you say the 3 bikes listed above are fine?

they are all good bikes, especially the Trek.
If you want to take any of them to the Olympic Park, you'd be better off with something more solid - like this Orange Calibre Bossnut, not only it's cheaper, the Rockshox suspension is better than the SR suspension on the two Haibikes.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-v2-mountain-bike-p403001

Posters on your thread don't seem to take your twice the average weight and physical strength into account. Besides a powerful bike, you need more power to go uphill than what is good for an average rider.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
the OP's weighs about twice the average, he needs a motor twice as strong, something like a BBSHD kit on an Orange bike.
Twice the average of what? average of ebikers on this forum ? my god ... he's over 36 stone !!!! ;)

If he's more like 20 stone, then I'm sure the Yamaha motor will cope. He'll just have to change gear and go a little slower up steep hills - it'll still work ok.
No red routes on MTB runs though ... that would indeed need a stronger frame.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
they are all good bikes, especially the Trek.
If you want to take any of them to the Olympic Park, you'd be better off with something more solid - like this Orange Calibre Bossnut, not only it's cheaper, the Rockshox suspension is better than the SR suspension on the two Haibikes.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-v2-mountain-bike-p403001

Posters on your thread don't seem to take your twice the average weight and physical strength into account. Besides a powerful bike, you need more power to go uphill than what is good for an average rider.
I'm not really up for retrofitting any motors. I won't be doing any of the black runs, just blue and red. And no jumps etc.. just go for a bit of downhill fun.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Twice the average of what? average of ebikers on this forum ? my god ... he's over 36 stone !!!! ;)

If he's more like 20 stone, then I'm sure the Yamaha motor will cope. He'll just have to change gear and go a little slower up steep hills - it'll still work ok.
No red routes on MTB runs though ... that would indeed need a stronger frame.
I'm 21 but on a diet. Was 22 a few weeks ago. So I'll be down to 19 soon enough if it makes much difference. Do any of the ones I listed have a stronger frame?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Posters on your thread don't seem to take your twice the average weight and physical strength into account.
I confess I haven't been following this posters postings. Is he genuinely around the 30 stone mark? and is the 'physical strength' a case of Geoff Capes strength, or someone who needs additional power because of reduced strength ??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No red routes on MTB runs though
that's a bit difficult when you have the woods and Olympic Park literally on your doorstep. With an e-bike, you can get up and down these runs for hours...

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
that's a bit difficult when you have the woods and Olympic Park literally on your doorstep. With an e-bike, you can get up and down these runs for hours...
Ok, I obviously haven't been following these posts and you're suggesting in a previous post he's said he DOES want to do serious MTB, so I'll shut up.

(but I see in a crossed post above, he's 'only' 21 stone and falling. Yea, he will need a strong frame for serious MTB work, but I still think a standard Yamaha/Bosch motor will manage)

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
I confess I haven't been following this posters postings. Is he genuinely around the 30 stone mark? and is the 'physical strength' a case of Geoff Capes strength, or someone who needs additional power because of reduced strength ??
No.. 21st.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk