Giant Ebike Chainring Improvement Help

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Hi everyone I have a Giant full E+1 2017 and after a few thousand miles I've come to the conclusion the chainrings are totally wrong for my needs. I use my bike mainly on road but some off the road use not much though. My chainrings are 28/38teeth and I've been on the 28 tooth ring once just to try it out but never actually needed it. I want to change my chainrings but I'm unsure what I can actually fit. The road version is 50/34 teeth chainrings and I think something like that would better suit my needs. I'm always on the smallest two teeth on my cassette and the largest on my chainrings. Rideing like that is not ideal and wears out cassettes. I've gone through two cassettes in a year. Ideally I should be in the middle of my cassette most of the time but that's just not going to happen if I want to get anywhere fast. The road version is 110bcd but mine is 104bcd. Do I need to buy the whole crankset for the road version to go to 34/50 chainrings or can I get some chainrings 104bcd that suit my needs. Another thing is do I have to change my front derailleur to the road version or something else?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey Chris, I feel your pain.
I have the Giant road bike with the 50/34 11/32 and had similar issues which I fixed by going with a single chainring which was easy and relatively cheap to sort by using a 42T narrow wide chainring and removing the front changer altogether. I used a gear calculator app to determine which size chainring to use to give my ideal cadence/Road speed in all the gears and went to LBS for the single ring and short bolts to do the job. In my case the Giant double ring was a custom dished jobby, so mounting the single from the outside put it slap in the centre and its great.
Hope this helps..
Gear calculator app.. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/222429-cycling-app-week-bike-gear-calculator

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I'll take a look at the app thanks. I would prefer to keep the 2x chainring set up though just as a backup if I ever run out of battery life and need it. I do need a bigger chainring for strait roads and decents because I can get so much more out of the bike and don't think Giant put the ideal set ups on the bikes

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'll take a look at the app thanks. I would prefer to keep the 2x chainring set up though just as a backup if I ever run out of battery life and need it. I do need a bigger chainring for strait roads and decents because I can get so much more out of the bike and don't think Giant put the ideal set ups on the bikes
To be fair to Giant it's an off road bike and probably geared right for off road speeds. The road versions are also geared appropriately for road use.
With what you say in mind I don't see why you can't gear up.. do you have a decent bike shop nearby? Mine is really helpful with such things and one of the mechanics set me on the right road for what I wanted. Whatever problem you have they have probably come across it before and will likely have the answer.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
To be fair to Giant it's an off road bike and probably geared right for off road speeds. The road versions are also geared appropriately for road use.
With what you say in mind I don't see why you can't gear up.. do you have a decent bike shop nearby? Mine is really helpful with such things and one of the mechanics set me on the right road for what I wanted. Whatever problem you have they have probably come across it before and will likely have the answer.
Yes I have a decent shop but last time I asked the manager just said no you can't do that but I phoned in last week and a macanic said yes we would be able to do something. I need more information for what would be best suited to me because I don't want to go in have it done and then find out I couldve done it better or cheaper. I would like the strongest parts possible too weight I don't care about. Some parts you can mail order you can't get in the shops for the same price. I'd rather find out exactly what I need to do get the best parts and book it in or do it myself to save £100 or so

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I phoned giant as well they said it couldn't be done because of the motor but I know that to be untrue because they use the same motor in the road version. Iis just 110 bcd where as mine is 104 bcd. I don't know if I will have to swap the front derailleur out though or how far I can step up with the one I have. I'd like to keep the cassette size too if possible but it's ready for changeing all the same

Reactions: Paul chef

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Post a pic of your front mech mounting. I suspect you can fit any FSA 104bcd chainrings, 32/44 is normal for a 2 chainring mountain bike. Bear in mind it is just a slightly modified Yamaha motor and they are available with all sorts of different chainrings.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I phoned giant as well they said it couldn't be done because of the motor but I know that to be untrue because they use the same motor in the road version. Iis just 110 bcd where as mine is 104 bcd. I don't know if I will have to swap the front derailleur out though or how far I can step up with the one I have. I'd like to keep the cassette size too if possible but it's ready for changeing all the same
The giant road bike has an FSA custom chain set and the big ring is dished outward and specific to the bike. It's not a std 50/34. I got away with it by going smaller.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Post a pic of your front mech mounting. I suspect you can fit any FSA 104bcd chainrings, 32/44 is normal for a 2 chainring mountain bike. Bear in mind it is just a slightly modified Yamaha motor and they are available with all sorts of different chainrings.
Not sure how to post pics I'm not good at this forum stuff I'm on a phone too

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
The giant road bike has an FSA custom chain set and the big ring is dished outward and specific to the bike. It's not a std 50/34. I got away with it by going smaller.
They don't make it simple do they but I was told they use the word custom to confuse

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I guess on the road bike the ring is dished outwards to clear the chainstays. I'm sure the spider is a standard part between all Yamaha motors with the same PCD. A couple of chainrings will cost £20/30 to prove concept. It can't be that difficult for anyone with a degree of understanding of how these things work. I have been told I couldn't fit 2 chainrings to my bike nor do anything to increase battery capacity without buying a Yamaha 500Wh battery.
My bike has 20 gears and a 785Wh battery!

Last edited:

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Oh it's deglfinately different the pic shows the inner ring being normal and the outer ring being dished outward.
Yes defiantly dished but mine isn't dished from what I can see. I need the spider I think then I can go up more than 44 tooth. I think it may be a case of getting the road derailleur and switching to the 110 spider then selecting chainrings of my choice but I may be wrong

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could try 44-32, that is what I would like, I have 42-32 and the big ring is just a little too short. You will have no problems finding 104 BCD in those sizes. The largest 104 BCD chainring I have found for reasonable prices is a 48 tooth.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
You could try 44-32, that is what I would like, I have 42-32 and the big ring is just a little too short. You will have no problems finding 104 BCD in those sizes. The largest 104 BCD chainring I have found for reasonable prices is a 48 tooth.
Yegh I could try that it will probably make things simpler I'll see what I can find hopefully I can find a set in steel or stainless steel what cassete are you running?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yegh I could try that it will probably make things simpler I'll see what I can find hopefully I can find a set in steel or stainless steel what cassete are you running?
At the moment 11-32. 32:32 will climb 20% and probably more and 15% test hill with minimal rider input. When I move the motor to the trike I will try the same slopes with my wide range 11-40 and a 46 tooth single chainwheel. If it doesn't work I'll put a 10 speed 11-46 on.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I can't seem to find any chainrings suitable in 44-32. They all seem to be tripple or single. Do you know who stocks them in steel preferably?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a hunch you should be able to find in both Trutativ and Shimano flavour...

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Does anyone know of a direct mount front mech that goes up to 44t or more as mine is rated 38t so when I fit the chainrings I'll probably find that I need to change the front mech. I have 11 speed cassette