Giant Ebike Chainring Improvement Help

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Update for anyone wanting to do the same. I just found a shimano xtr m986 front mech that's rated 38-44 tooth max. It's 2x10 but I'm told it should shift fine with 11 speed rear derailure. From what I can find I suspect my slx shifter should work fine with it but don't quote me on that. It cost me £39 off ebay and that's a really good price but it's from Taiwan so could take up to a month to get it. Now Im going to get the strongest chainrings I can find and order a new chain. Hopefully everything goes to plan and shifts and fits properly and I'll update to let you know how it went and if it went to plan how it feels and preforms. If it doesn't go to plan I'll have some parts for sale

Reactions: oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would have tried with the existing mech, they are often conservative with what will work. It is only 6 teeth more. Not as if you were going to a 48 tooth.

I wish Bafang had taken a lesson from Yamaha and offset their motors too so that a standard mech would work in a 2 X setup.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I would have tried with the existing mech, they are often conservative with what will work. It is only 6 teeth more. Not as if you were going to a 48 tooth.

I wish Bafang had taken a lesson from Yamaha and offset their motors too so that a standard mech would work in a 2 X setup.
Yegh I I'm going to test it with the 44T before I fit the new one. If it fits and I think I need a few more teeth I'll fit the new one and try to go up a bit more. I'll just sell the parts I don't use