Giant Evo display fogging up

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
So i bought a Giant Dirt E 2 Pro 3 months ago. The first time i got caught in the rain the display fogged up really bad. I contacted the dealer who said that they would change it under warranty. Before the bike even went in i got caught in the rain again and this time the control panel stopped working. They said its no problem because they were going to change both the display and the control panel anyway.

A week after they fixed it i got caught in the rain again. Same problem, the display fogged up really bad. Theyre now going to replace it again under warranty. Ive done a bit of research online and also rung Giant and they have admitted it is a common problem. They said they can remove the display and run just got the revised 2019 control panel, but one of the reasons i bought the bike was because it came with the display showing my speed, cadence, etc etc. So i would then be left with a bike that i otherwise maybe wouldnt have bought

Where do you think i stand, and what would you be expecting in my situation? im in 2 minds to say ill just have my money back if it goes again and ill buy elsewhere. I dont want it to turn into one of those issues that its going back time and time again then the second the warranty expires they will start charging me for display/control panel replacements.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I had the same I've got a Giant full E+1 and mine was doing the same. I was about to return it and had a weeks worth of heavy rain and was out in it every day. It fogged up then I put it out in the sun and let it dry. I used it for a full week in heavy rain and nothing. It just stopped fogging up and hasn't done it since. I can't figure it out but I'll be asking for a replacement soon. I did stick some helicopter tape on the display at the time it stopped but I can't see how that would do anything at all to stop it fogging. I just slapped that on to protect from scratches. Word of warning don't use a pressure washer to clean your bike do it by hand. I messed up my control panel that way but got it replaced because I said I never used one but that's the first question they asked me but you live and learn. Ask them if the replacement parts are garentee from the date you get them and if there not you want your money back. They may agree but If they do tell em you want it in writing or you will want your money back

Last edited:

Rob-KTM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2016
Torbay,Devon
I've got the same problems with foggy display, but my Giant will go into Walk home mode after a min by itself and stop responding to control inputs, also will not turn off, just keeps rebooting if you turn it off.

Removing the battery is the only solution to stop it!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the second the warranty expires they will start charging me for display/control panel replacements.
You can claim after the warranty runs out as long as the fault is systemic.
Have you got it sorted out yet?

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
My display has done the same ie fogging up in the rain. I had a new unit sent to me as my bike is still under warranty. As yet i have not gotten round to fitting the replacement display.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I've got the same problems with foggy display, but my Giant will go into Walk home mode after a min by itself and stop responding to control inputs, also will not turn off, just keeps rebooting if you turn it off.

Removing the battery is the only solution to stop it!
It's probably your control panel too then that's what mine was doing. There's water in the control pannel

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
You can claim after the warranty runs out as long as the fault is systemic.
Have you got it sorted out yet?
Nope not yet. Apparently ordered the parts again last monday. Awaiting their call to book it back in. Will call them tomorrow I can see the same problem happening over and over. The only solution is going to be to scrap the display, which to me is downgrading the bike.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Nope not yet. Apparently ordered the parts again last monday. Awaiting their call to book it back in. Will call them tomorrow I can see the same problem happening over and over. The only solution is going to be to scrap the display, which to me is downgrading the bike.
Call giant direct and ask to speak to someone about it

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there isn't a solution for this problem. Sure, some LCDs are better at resisting humidity than others but fundamentally, they let a tiny amount of air in. The best way is to keep the bike somewhere dry like under shelter,

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
there isn't a solution for this problem. Sure, some LCDs are better at resisting humidity than others but fundamentally, they let a tiny amount of air in. The best way is to keep the bike somewhere dry like under shelter,
As a mountain bike, I would venture to suggest it is not "fit for purpose"?

Tom

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
It is stored in my shed. The problem isn't the storage. It is when it rains whilst riding I've been caught in the rain only three times. All 3 have developed new faults with the display or control panel. I think I'll give it one more try then I'll say its not fit for purpose

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Well got round to changing my display yesterday. Changed it and checked that was working okay, turning on,off and showing readouts. Went out in the rain and the new unit did not fog up. Success or so I thought. When I got home a new problem arose. The new display unit would not power down. AS soon as I switch if off it immediately turned back on. I will try refitting the old display unit. If that works (ie switches on and off) I will be asking for another display unit. Touching on a point made in the previous post. Why would a manufacturer equip a MTB with a display unit that is not IP rated? Has someone forgot to tell them it rains a lot here in the UK. If it does not work don't supply it as standard with the bike. Reminds me of when I owned a Vauxhall VX220. When it rained it would leak badly. Service manager said that it was not designed to be used in the rain DOH! A set upgraded roof/door seals solved that particular problem.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why would a manufacturer equip a MTB with a display unit that is not IP rated?
they are. I used to replace about 3% of King Meter LCDs every year due to fogging. The old J-LCD has a silver coin battery and the battery cover does not have rubber seal, so humidity can get in.
Since we replaced them with new models without the coin battery, the problem goes away. Bafang replaced the coin battery with a supercapacitor that gets charged when you use the bike. The LCDs are now totally sealed,
That goes to show that if there is a way, no matter how tiny it is, water will find a way to get through.

Rob-KTM

Oct 3, 2016
Torbay,Devon
The new display unit would not power down. AS soon as I switch if off it immediately turned back on.
I have this same problem with my Giant, the solution is unplug the Evo display from the control buttons... the bike will then power down after 5 mins if not ridden..
After about a week my buttons start working again, happens if used in the rain!!

Never had any problems with my Yamaha powered Haibike!, the original Yamaha buttons and display are all sealed at every contact point.

Shame as I thought the Giant was going to be a nice upgrade with there custom software.

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
I have this same problem with my Giant, the solution is unplug the Evo display from the control buttons... the bike will then power down after 5 mins if not ridden..
After about a week my buttons start working again, happens if used in the rain!!

Never had any problems with my Yamaha powered Haibike!, the original Yamaha buttons and display are all sealed at every contact point.

Shame as I thought the Giant was going to be a nice upgrade with there custom software.
Hi Rob
Thanks for the info. Please excuse my ignorance but what is it that I need to disconnect? As I see it there are two cables that connect to the display. Other than that I don't see anything else. Your help is much appreciated.
Dario

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Apologies to the OP as it appears as if i am taking over their thread. An IP rating of 66 or 67 would be much better.

Update on display. Just switched over to the original display and that to is now powering on independently and reboots as soon as its turned off.
So this appears to be a new fault altogether. Looks like i will need to take into Dales in Glasgow for them to plug it into their computer.

However i repeat how a manufacturer can sell a bike with components that fail when exposed to rain is totally beyond me. Don't remember any point of sale material that said not fit to ride in rain.

Dario

Rob-KTM

Oct 3, 2016
Torbay,Devon
King Meter: IP65

Other manufacturers: you need to check their user manuals.
Woosh, I understand your products have a IP rating... but really this has nothing to do with the Giant products we are talking about in these posts and is confusing matters.

The Giant display and buttons clearly have no water seals or IP rating as any rain makes them fail!.

Rob-KTM

Oct 3, 2016
Torbay,Devon
Hi Rob
Thanks for the info. Please excuse my ignorance but what is it that I need to disconnect? As I see it there are two cables that connect to the display. Other than that I don't see anything else. Your help is much appreciated.
Dario
If you look at the buttons that control power etc, you will see a wire coming out to a connector on the break line, this is the one to unplug... if the bike starts to go a bit nuts like mine, it might help you get home as the motor will work just fine in its last settings.. and turn off after 5 mins of no use.

See photo from when mine failed at a bottom of a rather nasty hill.

Attachments

Related Articles

Advertisers