Giant Evo display fogging up

Dario

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Thanks Rob. I have the bike in kitchen at the moment. Have taken the plastic bash plate off. Was not much moisture there but have dried it up. In the next week or so i shall drop the motor down and then give the connections/plugs a good spray of ACF 50. Hopefully this will stop this happening in the future. Don't see me getting much use out the bike if it cannot be ridden in the rain.

Dario

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put the display in a jar of rice tho if it was me id want a display that worked cos it is a mtb or if not money back as not fit for purpose.

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
It's not the display now thats causing the problem. First display fogged up. Replacement display fitted on Sunday. Tested and was working fine. Went out for a ride and it started raining. When i got home the display would not switch off. Yes you could turn it off but it would immediately reboot. Unplugged the replacement display and plugged the original and now that to does not switch off and reboots. Only common denominator here is the rain. Spoke JEJames (from whom i bought the bike) they said get it into your local dealer and get them to hook it up to the computer. Tomorrow i shall call Dales here in Glasgow and see what response i get. I think a call to Giants head office in the UK might be in order. Really dont see why after having paid 3k for this bike in January i have to do this running about.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id just get my money back tbh or it will be just a pita even if they fix it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh, I understand your products have a IP rating... but really this has nothing to do with the Giant products we are talking about in these posts and is confusing matters.

The Giant display and buttons clearly have no water seals or IP rating as any rain makes them fail!.
it was Dario who asked me directly for IP rating twice.
In fairness, Dario did apologise for going off piste.
The point I made is all LCDs that breathe air will let some humidity in and can fog up if the bike is not kept in a dry place.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When i got home the display would not switch off. Yes you could turn it off but it would immediately reboot.
I had that problem over the past few days - Giant Full-E 2017. My bike is kept in a very dry garage at home, and at least out of the rain at work.

It happened after I had cleaned and spruced up the bike on 30/09/2018. No pressure jets - just a gentle hose nozzle. Thought I was giving it a treat. :)

I don't know what bit was affected, whether it was detergent, water, or "polish". But after a few days it has fully resolved. Had been a bit concerned - and perhaps still am. But relieved that it is fine right now.

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
it was Dario who asked me directly for IP rating twice.
In fairness, Dario did apologise for going off piste.
The point I made is all LCDs that breathe air will let some humidity in and can fog up if the bike is not kept in a dry place.
Hi woosh.I hear what you are saying but not sure i would agree if you are saying it's normal for displays to fogg up. I am a motorcyclist and i got out in all weather. My bikes have LCD displays and i have never had one fogg up (even when left damp and wet in the garage).

I think we all can agree that you should be able to ride in the rain without it causing a problem to any part of your Ebike. Lets be clear we are not talking fording rivers just normal on and off road use.

Dario

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you are saying it's normal for displays to fogg up.
No, I don't say it's normal. If my customer's LCD fogs up, I have to replace it. So I don't want to fit LCDs that can fog up. As I said, the new J-LCD has the battery replaced with a supercapacitor so no more battery cover that can let air in, the fogging problem with that particular model is solved but even before that solution is found, the percentage of affected customers was relatively low.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
IP rated?
IP 67 or IP 68
Dario
My phone is IP 68 so it cannot be a lot to ask. Water ingress affects Emtb motors, batteries and switches, most of which are around IP 54 which is quite simply too low for UK use. I hope you get it resolved Dario.

Reactions: Dario

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Just off the phone to James at JE James cycles. James was very helpful. It appears the problem lies with the switch. Not that Giant are admitting this but they have released an updated (read more water resistant) switch. For his part James will send me the new switch. Not only this James is sending a new display unit and a new wiring loom. To top it all James has offered to cover the labour charge from my local dealer if I cannot fit these items myself. This is what I call customer service. Cannot thank James and JE enough. Will let you guys know how I get on once new parts are fitted. :)

Reactions: oyster and Tom Rae

Rob-KTM

Oct 3, 2016
Torbay,Devon
Just off the phone to James at JE James cycles. James was very helpful. It appears the problem lies with the switch. Not that Giant are admitting this but they have released an updated (read more water resistant) switch. For his part James will send me the new switch. Not only this James is sending a new display unit and a new wiring loom. To top it all James has offered to cover the labour charge from my local dealer if I cannot fit these items myself. This is what I call customer service. Cannot thank James and JE enough. Will let you guys know how I get on once new parts are fitted. :)
Thanks for this Dario, I bought my bike from JE James too.. so will give them a nudge for the same solution :)

Keep looking at other bikes!! as it's the UK and I use my bike most days... or I did till I got this Giant!

Reactions: Dario and oyster

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
To the OP. I am sorry that i appear to have hijacked your thread. If you would rather i start a new thread just say.

New parts arrived (function button, wiring loom and display). First up tried everything as was. Dropped the battery into the frame and the display DID NOT boot up. Pressed the button and it switched on and off fine as normal. I half expected this to happen as the bike had been sitting in the warm and dry of the house for a couple days. So definitely a water ingress problem.

As far as i am concerned the water was entering the function switch. With this in mind i have only changed this switch (also to keep the changes to as few as possible in an effort to confirmed what has failed). I have to say that visually there is no discernable difference between the units. I was expecting there would be as it is supposed to be an upgraded. I sprayed a little ACF50 around the switch and let it seep in. I will post again once i have been out in the rain.

Dario

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
To the OP. I am sorry that i appear to have hijacked your thread. If you would rather i start a new thread just say.

New parts arrived (function button, wiring loom and display). First up tried everything as was. Dropped the battery into the frame and the display DID NOT boot up. Pressed the button and it switched on and off fine as normal. I half expected this to happen as the bike had been sitting in the warm and dry of the house for a couple days. So definitely a water ingress problem.

As far as i am concerned the water was entering the function switch. With this in mind i have only changed this switch (also to keep the changes to as few as possible in an effort to confirmed what has failed). I have to say that visually there is no discernable difference between the units. I was expecting there would be as it is supposed to be an upgraded. I sprayed a little ACF50 around the switch and let it seep in. I will post again once i have been out in the rain.

Dario
Much appreciated the update - please keep doing so (sorry OP!).

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Hi Guys
First time out in heavy rain (it was only an hour though) on Sunday with updated function switch. Pleased to report no issues whatsoever. Hopefully this is the end of problems when riding in the rain. I will of course post updates as i have them.
Dario

Reactions: Tom Rae and oyster

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Giant full e+1 2017, no faults with switch gear but had the display fogged up a few times.
removed display, left by fire in front room for a couple of days, when bike not being used, will see how long before I need to de-humidify again

Reactions: oyster

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Giant full e+1 2017, no faults with switch gear but had the display fogged up a few times.
removed display, left by fire in front room for a couple of days, when bike not being used, will see how long before I need to de-humidify again
Hi chap

Just to repeat that I had the same problem which was solved when I was given a replacement display under warranty. What happened next was that the controller started playing up when exposed to the rain. Again this appears to have been solved by fitting a replacement unit under warranty.
Hope this helps
Dario

Reactions: argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Hi chap

Just to repeat that I had the same problem which was solved when I was given a replacement display under warranty. What happened next was that the controller started playing up when exposed to the rain. Again this appears to have been solved by fitting a replacement unit under warranty.
Hope this helps
Dario
did you ACF50 the two connectors on the EVO display, one goes to ride control switches ?

Dario

Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
did you ACF50 the two connectors on the EVO display, one goes to ride control switches ?
No JE James very kindly sent me a rubber sleeve to slide over the connection. I did however apply ACF50 to the replacement ride control switch. Dario

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
I know it's an old thread but it might help those still sufferign with the issue on 2018/19 bikes - Giant issued a revised display panel, where silicone has been added at the cable entry points underneath and at the joint between the upper and lower sections of the display box. I'm not sure whether they did anything around the display edges, but by all accounts these revised displays seem to be a lot more water tight and resolved 90%+ of the issues. You should be able to have the display swapped out by Giant dealers under warranty.

As already said above the inline connector to the control pad (button pad) needs a bit of attention by the dealer / user - some cable heat shrink, electrical grease or other external sealing of the joint (silicone) will keep water out.

I believe the controller pad also received an update with better rubber seals around 2018.

Related Articles

Advertisers