giant full e

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Love it. My mate is so impressed he's selling his 6 week old cube cross pro to get one too. Realised I do have to make a huge effort to shift some weight I put on after my back injury. Setting up rear shock seems to need a lot of pressure to account for my mass. Just gotta go and get some mud guards and lights. What's a good maintenance schedule for one of these? I've never been very kind to my rockhopper.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
What are giant like reliability wise ? Currently got a Haibike with Yamaha and its been fantastic, but suspect battery getting past its best and fancying full sus. ( mines hardseven)Went to James last week...the Giants seem brilliant for the money...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What are giant like reliability wise ? Currently got a Haibike with Yamaha and its been fantastic, but suspect battery getting past its best and fancying full sus. ( mines hardseven)Went to James last week...the Giants seem brilliant for the money...
Mine is spot on after 2300 miles in just over 18 months and has only cost me 2 tyres and 1 chain.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Giant use it's own battery and electronics on the Yamaha motor.
Not had it long, went back to Tredz to have new who control display due to condensation, one week changed no quibble

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I don't regret mine at the £1999 price. Comparing it to the turbo levo I nearly got I think the levo is a better value bike at the full price but for under £2k reduced the giant is a no brainer.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I have the +1. Really good trail bike only gripe is the low motor, really have to watch speed on drop offs, too slow will see the skid plate catch on the lip and push rear wheel up and front wheel down into a nose dive.
Being clipped in I can pull rear up to clear lip.
It has the 500 Watt battery plenty of range, stick it in normal and leave it there. Power is too much on a steep climb, it will loop out.
The +2 has a 400 Watt battery.
The +1 has Fox suspension front and rear, which works very well.
The +2 has Aion suspension, not had any dealings with this brand so can't comment.
I have changed the tyres from Shwable Rocket Rons to Shawble Nobby Nics as there was not enough grip for my type of riding with the Rocket Rons. I changed the handlebar to a Renthal fatbar for extra width and rise. The last thing I changed was the double front ring to a single narrow wide with 34 teeth, too much torque chain would suck on down shifts. 1x11 is more than enough gears.
what parts did you but to convert the front ring? what size nics did you put on? ive heard you can get a 3.0 on the front but not on the back.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Just bought a Hope narrow wide chain ring that's all. Put a top chain guide on to cover direct mount after removing front mech, as the frame is matt black and the mount interface is raw alloy. But uberbike does a direct mount cap in various colours for a fiver.
I put 2.6 nics on. Where on sale for £36. Will put Rocket Rons back on for summers dusty, lol, trails.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Just bought a Hope narrow wide chain ring that's all. Put a top chain guide on to cover direct mount after removing front mech, as the frame is matt black and the mount interface is raw alloy. But uberbike does a direct mount cap in various colours for a fiver.
I put 2.6 nics on. Where on sale for £36. Will put Rocket Rons back on for summers dusty, lol, trails.
Damn it. Looking at the uberbike site now. Tempted to get the sunrace wide range cassette. Do you know if oval chainrings are any benefit on an ebike? Am I right in thinking Ron's are softer than nics?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry to go off topic here.

Just out of interest, was there a reason that you choose the Hope narrow wide, over some of the other available offerings? I have just bought a bike with a 1x set up, and enjoy the research side of things.

And next up. How are you finding the 2.6 nics? That was certainly a bargain price.
Once again, I'm just asking out of interest. The KTM eMTB hardtail runs 2.8 back and front and I really love the combined size. Someone else that I know, runs a 2.6 rear with a 2.8 front, and loves that, and my new bike comes fitted with 2.8 rear and 3.0 front. Being a pedal bike, I'm already not sure that I want to keep a 3.0 on the front, simply because of the weight factor, and I'm kind of thinking of downsizing. I'm after the added comfort of plus size, but with reduced weight. I already know that going tubeless, saves 495 grams over the OE tube set up.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nope, unless you have the motor turned off.
We were having a very lengthy chat about osymetric/oval chain rings during this weeks night ride. It seems to be a topic of much debate, when it comes to are they, or aren't they effective/do they don't they work.

Two people that would argue the merits of them, are Sir Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome. I guess that they might have a bit a clue of what works or doesn't.

An Absoluteblack chain ring is on my list of things to try at some stage in the more distant future.

Related Articles

Advertisers