giant full e

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Two people that would argue the merits of them, are Sir Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome. I guess that they might have a bit a clue of what works or doesn't.
just add drugs and everything works ;)

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We were having a very lengthy chat about osymetric/oval chain rings during this weeks night ride. It seems to be a topic of much debate, when it comes to are they, or aren't they effective/do they don't they work.

Two people that would argue the merits of them, are Sir Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome. I guess that they might have a bit a clue of what works or doesn't.

An Absoluteblack chain ring is on my list of things to try at some stage in the more distant future.
You have two legs.
They apply force unequally through the pedal cycle
An elliptical chainwheel is an interesting concept, please report back on your appreciations.

A motor even helped by legs or vice versa is much more regular so a round chainwheel should be fine on a pedelec.

Cue for our physicists to pile in...

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I had elliptical chainrings many years ago on an old Marin MTB. They worked brilliantly IMO but they seemed to disappear from the face of the earth and I havent had a bike with them since. I assumed it was because they were a pointless fad but having seen them mentioned a few times recently I do now wonder.

I felt they gave much more power on the downstroke for the same given effort and yes I know that by default the chain will move less distance but overall I felt the gain outweighed the loss for the reason given by anotherkiwi above- legs work better part way down the stroke of a typical seat/bottom bottom bracket distance. I would love to try them again sometime.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Sorry to go off topic here.

Just out of interest, was there a reason that you choose the Hope narrow wide, over some of the other available offerings? I have just bought a bike with a 1x set up, and enjoy the research side of things.

And next up. How are you finding the 2.6 nics? That was certainly a bargain price.
Once again, I'm just asking out of interest. The KTM eMTB hardtail runs 2.8 back and front and I really love the combined size. Someone else that I know, runs a 2.6 rear with a 2.8 front, and loves that, and my new bike comes fitted with 2.8 rear and 3.0 front. Being a pedal bike, I'm already not sure that I want to keep a 3.0 on the front, simply because of the weight factor, and I'm kind of thinking of downsizing. I'm after the added comfort of plus size, but with reduced weight. I already know that going tubeless, saves 495 grams over the OE tube set up.

The new puppy is a Giant though.

Not my clip.

the 2.6's are big but not too big, if that makes sense. It rolls well but not floaty like a fat bike. As it has full suspension it doesn't need big tyres for shock absorbtion. Tried 20psi, me no like. 25 psi feels a lot better. The rims don't ding on square corners and steering is more direct on technical trails.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Sorry to go off topic here.

Just out of interest, was there a reason that you choose the Hope narrow wide, over some of the other available offerings? I have just bought a bike with a 1x set up, and enjoy the research side of things.

And next up. How are you finding the 2.6 nics? That was certainly a bargain price.
Once again, I'm just asking out of interest. The KTM eMTB hardtail runs 2.8 back and front and I really love the combined size. Someone else that I know, runs a 2.6 rear with a 2.8 front, and loves that, and my new bike comes fitted with 2.8 rear and 3.0 front. Being a pedal bike, I'm already not sure that I want to keep a 3.0 on the front, simply because of the weight factor, and I'm kind of thinking of downsizing. I'm after the added comfort of plus size, but with reduced weight. I already know that going tubeless, saves 495 grams over the OE tube set up.

The new puppy is a Giant though.

Not my clip.

I chose the hope because it was the brand I knew best on the website I was ordering off at the time. No chain drops so far.
Will be trying an uberbike in a 36 tooth flavour for comparison soon.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I chose the hope because it was the brand I knew best on the website I was ordering off at the time. No chain drops so far.
Will be trying an uberbike in a 36 tooth flavour for comparison soon.
do you know if the full e shares a mech hanger with any other frames? ive been looking for one online but cant find reference to any. just be nice to have a spare in my box just in case.

Related Articles

Advertisers