1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

giant lafree battery

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by jac, Jun 6, 2008.

jac

jac Just Joined

hi has anyone used a company to recell their battery and was it succesfull
    and how much did it cost there is a company selling a pack of batteries on german ebay but not sure if that is for cells only

jim
    flecc

flecc Member

The only company I know of definitely doing this now for the Lafree battery is Twike UK Phone: 07707 237070, email aschroeer@twike.co.uk

You could also try Vita Electric who also claim to recell, but I don't have current prices on these services.

I've done my own in the past, using the pack from the Powacycle NiMh battery which used to cost only £99, but I don't know if they supply that any more, and it had increased in price anyway.

Getting good NiMh D cells or packs is getting increasingly difficult as lithium takes over the market, and I think the new generation quality lithium batteries will make that worse now.
    jac

jac Just Joined

vita electric quoted £270 which seemed a bit steep but maybe thats the price. maybe it would be cheaper to buy new one from nyce wheels

jim
    Branwen

Branwen Just Joined

I used The Electric Bike Company in Edinburgh to have my battery recelled, the outcome was appalling.

I had a thought, is it possible to recell the battery pack with lithium batteries instead of nickel ones?
    flecc

flecc Member

One member investigated using lithium without success, but another member is asking a supplier for details currently. It's rather unlikely since the lithium iron cells being checked out are larger and heavier than other types so probably wont fit.

There are no cost effective NiMh recelling services currently since these cells and packs with adequate discharge rates are becoming increasingly expensive and difficult to source.

Giant dealers can order in new batteries at around £275 each and that's the best option at present.
    jac

jac Just Joined

hi i was quoted £250 for new battery by local giant dealer but as there were no batteries in holland it is a long wait to get one. i got lucky and got one on ebay. i tried cell pack solutions but they stopped doing recells as they had to many problems with the panasonic chargers

jim
    Branwen

Branwen Just Joined

Well, I've been riding my bike without the battery ever since the recell didnt go right, though at the moment I have no huge hills to cope with so its been manageable.

With the weight of the bike I was thinking that I have probably reached a fitness level where an ordinary bike would do me. As long as it was light so I could carry it to my flat, and a good hill climber. Finding out that the Kalkoff I needed for my height and needs was £2,300, and not the £1,500 of the basic model has meant giving up that dream... oh well.

I am going to take apart the battery that was recelled this weekend, taking pics of it as I go. Maybe there is something wrong with it that can be fixed. I dont really know as its been strapped up with tape and cardboard inside so you cant really see much.

When I was asking about LIthium batteries being used as a replacement, I was more in mind of replacing the battery, and the way it connects to the motor to give it the charge too. Isnt the lafree panasonic motor the same for nimh and lithium with giant? Could the lithium battery be connected to the motor by taking away the old connection system and putting a new connection system in, instead of messing about with the battery pack itself?

Questions by an electronically challenged individuel here....... sorry
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    flecc

flecc Member

I'm afraid not Branwen. The new motor system uses a three connection arrangement between the lithium battery and unit, the unit presumably sharing the management with the battery's electronics. Trying to use the battery in a two connection mode might well damage it, and at circa £400 a time it wouldn't be worth the risk.

The old motor unit uses only the usual two connections for it's NiMh battery, the third connection when charging being only applicable to NiMh battery systems.

However, any other two connection lithium battery system could be used, so that opens up possiblities. The Ping lithium iron phosphate batteries would be suitable, though they'd be too big to fit into the normal position so would have to go elsewhere.

Alternatively the contents of a Powacycle Salisbury LPX battery could possibly be built into the Giant case, but it's contents would need checking for size and I can't guarantee the power delivery would be as good. The cost of that with a new charger would be £299.

It's also still possible to recell it yourself to 7 Ah with an NiMh pack from Batteryspace in the USA, but with current exchange rates that costs $160 plus carriage charges and any possible duties, so not really cheap enough as that could be near to the price of a new battery.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Branwen

Branwen Just Joined

I've ordered a new battery and charger, and will have to hope that the motor won't be the next thing to go. Maybe it will last till some new innovation comes along, or the price on existing stuff comes down. I was most upset that as an employee I could get my bike through the cycle to work scheme, but because I am self employed I can only claim 24p a mile for wear and tear on a new bike, with no other tax breaks. Thought the idea was to get us all eco-friendly and fit.
    fishingpaul

fishingpaul Finding my (electric) wheels

That is a very good tax break,if you claimed 11 miles a day for five days a week over two years, a new £1400 bike would cost you nothing even without using the cycle to work scheme (this would not include any repairs though),the best most of us can expect is the cycle to work scheme, if were lucky enough to have it available,my company is not interested in it,pensioners get absolutely no incentive at all(apart from petrol savings maybe)
    Branwen

Branwen Just Joined

I work a full time job monday to friday, with an employer that wont join the cycle2work scheme. The 24p a day is for my Saturday self employed job, just one day a week in the summers. I think bikes should be VAT free to encourage more people to cycle maybe. Some bike shops have interest free credit now, though, so thats not so bad.