Giant or Cube?

Lee Roberts

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2016
Sheffield
Hi,

I am considering purchasing an e-bike. It will be used daily for commuting (5 miles total a day) in a area with lots of steep hills. I also want to be able to take the bike out on trails for fun at the weekends.

I've narrowed it down to two potential biked:

CUBE REACTION HYBRID HPA RACE 400 27.5" HARDTAIL ELECTRIC MTB BIKE 2016
GIANT DIRT-E+ HARDTAIL 27.5" ELECTRIC BIKE 2016

Out of the potential bikes listed here NOTE: The Cube bike is at the very top of my budget so I cannot purchase a more expensive bike than that.

They both look pretty good but I confess, I don't know an awful lot about e-bikes but I was given some advice to always go for the most powerful motor and battery that you can afford.

The Cube has the Bosch CX motor which has: max 75Nm of torque, 250 watt motor and 400Wh battery.

The Giant has: max 80Nm of torque, can't find any info on what the motor wattage is and also has a 400Wh battery.

Any advice and additional info would be welcomed from the experienced e-bikers out there.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Try both before you make a decision. It will come down to which bike feels best to ride. Next door neighbour has the Cube. I've had a go on it and felt good to me. I've owned a Giant (non ebike) and it was good too. Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: LeighPing

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have the 2016 Cube C-62 carbon hybrid 500 with the Bosch CX motor and 500wh battery.
A great bike and a motor that has a lot of power and reliability as i use it every day in deristricted form around 30 miles or so.
The only advice i can give is get the 500wh battery if possible and buy as local as possible because things can go wrong and it cuts down on any hassle.
Have a look at KTM as well because they do similar models and are well designed and equipped

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and row

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
I notice Rutland have 20 per cent of this Giant and some other ebikes . There maybe more gear options with the Giant - I would want to know it's weight.
I would regret not having a 500 batt though, value wise I would get this http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/Cube-Reaction-Hybrid-HPA-Pro-500-275-Hardtail-Electric-MTB-Bike-2016 with 500 battery

If i'm not mistaken the Giant has a Yamaha X94 motor - compared to the Bosch CX, both are excellent, there is little difference, but opinion may differ

Last edited: