Giant servicing

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Been looking at my manual for my full e and can't find any mention of service intervals. Mates Bosch had a section in the manual for service stamps. Do giant do anything similar? Am I going blind and missed it?

Reactions: oyster

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Been looking at my manual for my full e and can't find any mention of service intervals. Mates Bosch had a section in the manual for service stamps. Do giant do anything similar? Am I going blind and missed it?
I have had 4 new bikes. 3 x Scott/Bosch + 1 x giant/Yamaha. I have never had a service book and been told the electric bits don't need servicing. They told me the other bike bits are just like any other bike bits and need a typical bike service as and when..

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I won't worry then. Just saw the bosch service book that was with my mates cube cross pro . It was like a car service stamp book. Recommended first service at 200k and further service intervals that I can't remember. Just remember the 200k because that's when he got fed up with it and traded it in

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I won't worry then. Just saw the bosch service book that was with my mates cube cross pro . It was like a car service stamp book. Recommended first service at 200k and further service intervals that I can't remember. Just remember the 200k because that's when he got fed up with it and traded it in
I never got one and there are numerous threads on here highlighting the inability to repair Bosch motors.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bosch servicing is recorded in the motor. When the dealer services the bike, he's supposed to record it there. When you want to sell the bike, he should be able to print out the service history, but they'll probably want to charge for that.

I don't know whether Yama, Brose and Shimano do the same. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Bosch servicing is recorded in the motor. When the dealer services the bike, he's supposed to record it there. When you want to sell the bike, he should be able to print out the service history, but they'll probably want to charge for that.

I don't know whether Yama, Brose and Shimano do the same. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
Have you ever heard what kinda service intervals are expected? Just thought it was a nice touch having the back few pages of his Bosch manual with service stamp locations like you do with a car. But reading my giant/Yamaha manual there's nothing that I can see that references anything about servicing .

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have you ever heard what kinda service intervals are expected? Just thought it was a nice touch having the back few pages of his Bosch manual with service stamp locations like you do with a car. But reading my giant/Yamaha manual there's nothing that I can see that references anything about servicing .
What does the selling dealer say about it? Mine said no serviceable parts. If it goes wrong just fit a new motor, which it did and they fitted a new motor. I did have it in for a software update and received a printout of mileage, number if charges and battery condition.. but as far as i can remember that's all it had on it. If more info was stored it could help with stolen bikes..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no dealer can service motors all have to go back to bosch under warranty.

other than bearings not much else you can buy unless you make it ur self.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
no dealer can service motors all have to go back to bosch under warranty.

other than bearings not much else you can buy unless you make it ur self.
It's not a Bosch that I'm asking about. I've got a giant Yamaha. Only mentioned Bosch because that's where I'd seen the service boxes in the manual. I didn't know if there were any bearings or oiling/greasing schedule. What I don't want is a problem down the line and find out I've missed a service so void any warranty

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's not a Bosch that I'm asking about. I've got a giant Yamaha. Only mentioned Bosch because that's where I'd seen the service boxes in the manual. I didn't know if there were any bearings or oiling/greasing schedule. What I don't want is a problem down the line and find out I've missed a service so void any warranty
I have had my Giant about 18 months, done 2000 miles and has all it's original bits on except the chain. Was going to get it serviced but dealer went bust.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is the same for all mid drive motors as no serviceable parts best you can do is keep it clean and lubed up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Wish I'd taken more notice of my mates Bosch manual with the service stamp pages. Wonder what they would have done during a service.
they just plug it in to the bosch software and check for error codes can turn the lights on and of and see what the batt condition is like, how many charges ect and thats about it.

the rest is just the same as a normal bike service so 40-80 quid at lbs

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
they just plug it in to the bosch software and check for error codes can turn the lights on and of and see what the batt condition is like, how many charges ect and thats about it.

the rest is just the same as a normal bike service so 40-80 quid at lbs
Take it the Yamaha/giant would be similar then.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the giant might have different software as is there own displays batts ect but id ask ur dealer if that is the case.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's software and memory storage in the battery. The report on the battery comes from a separate battery tester that can interrogate the battery to make its printout.

There's also memory in the motor where error codes, running information and service information is stored. This information is accessible through the normal service dongle. It's the info where they say they can tell if a dongle has been fitted, but they can't actually see if one has. You can only see anomalous running information, but that could be for a number of reasons, like Eddiepj. They'd say that he has a dongle fitted based on his info.

Related Articles

Advertisers