Giant Twist RS2 - can't locate cadence sensor!

theabsurdman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
I recently acquired a pair of 10+ year old Giant pedelecs - a Twist Express and a Twist RS2 which are almost identical models models except...

The Express has its cadence sensor mounted on the rear triangle detecting a magnet affixed to a rear wheel spoke but I can't locate the equivalent on the RS2 wich has no obvious sensor and no spoke magnet!

Can anybody give me a clue as to where the speed-sensing for the 15.5mph assist cut-off might be happening on the RS2?

Is there a speed sensor in the hub motor, I wonder?

Thanks

Last edited:

theabsurdman

Dec 15, 2020
Still stumped. I tried cutting the white (speed) cable from the motor to the controller but that just resulted in an error condition and no power.

I've also read of a keypad combination to change locale - power-on followed by 5 presses of the Giant logo button but that did nothing. I think it only applies to newer Giant models.

There must be way surely? Failing which anybody know of an alternative (sensorless) controller + throttle option that I could swap-in to replace the PAS controller?

theabsurdman

Dec 15, 2020
Latest idea: buy the Twist Express cadence sensor and try to wire that into the RS2 controller in place of the speed wire coming from the motor - assuming they both work the same way.

Advertisers