Go to work on a Pineapple! Wisper Folder sneak preview.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our Chinese design team leader working with the design guys in the U.K. thinks we have an easy task comming up with the name. He has just said “OK I’ll think of the name, you design the frame lock!” Maybe he has a point! :rolleyes:

View attachment 23666
I am unsure about this frame lock. If its working mechanism is too clever and thus not obvious to the customers, they may not set it correctly and safely.

D

Deleted member 4366

Name or the bike is easy: The Chinese Wisper. Every time somebody asks you about it, you can give a slightly different story and never be held to account by Advertising Standards.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I am unsure about this frame lock. If its working mechanism is too clever and thus not obvious to the customers, they may not set it correctly and safely.
Don’t worry it’s really simple, like all the best ideas! All the best, David

Last edited:

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Like to see the full spec and likely cost maybe I'm to heavy a rider to buy one :( looks very strong and almost like a pro would use one for racing! wisper olympics ?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Al. We will have all the details soon including weight limits, the price is likely to be in the region of £1500-£1600 depending on the final specs.

velocitygirl

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Sheffield
This looks great- could be a real alternative to the Brompton electric, with a more palatable price! Would love to have an e-bike that's light enough for me to easily get on and off the train, and compact enough to fit in the luggage section. (For the record, I love the name Pineapple!)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Velocitygirl and welcome to the Forum. That's exactly our target market. We have designed the bike to be light weight and easy to fold with a magnetic catch to keep the bike in the folded position. We have not heard any decent reports on the Brompton and believe that there is a market for a high quality bike at this price point.

All the best, David

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I tried the Brompton this week. I was quite impressed. Smooth, quiet and reasonably powerful (easily coped with a reasonable hill). I wasn’t able to find any really big hills to try. It seems a nice package. I don’t think it’s worth the money though. And of course you can’t fit fatter tyres or disk brakes that would be preferable for many commutes.

I do think a quality bike in your price bracket is missing in the market. A conversion is the only decent option at the moment and that isn’t going to appeal to the general public.

I like the look of the Pineapple but I would have gone with a hub gear and a front motor (or a super light midmotor would be perfect). I just don’t think derailleurs work with small wheels and folding bikes. Have you considered a dual chainwheel 2 speed?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Jonah,

We looked at front motor and hub gears but we don't think they are safe in the wet and are certainly not good in ice or snow esp. with an 18" wheel, the torque will induce a spin and loss of traction. As yet there isn't a light weight centre motor that would do the job.

A double chain wheel is certainly a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

We too think that hydraulic disc brakes are important for commuters, of course mudguards, and rack will be available. The rack is made using the same tube as the cross bar, so a second battery can be carried.

All the best, David

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks Jonah,

We looked at front motor and hub gears but we don't think they are safe in the wet and are certainly not good in ice or snow esp. with an 18" wheel, the torque will induce a spin and loss of traction. As yet there isn't a light weight centre motor that would do the job.

All the best, David[/QUOTE
Is there not some way to restrict wheelspin? I have the high power Sparticle Brompton conversion and I don’t find wheelspin a problem if I’m careful. Maybe as it’s throttle only this makes it down to the user rather than a sensor. A soft start sensor to limit power from standstill should do the job. I do accept the point you make but it’s a question of where to make the innevitable compromises. In my many thousands of miles of use wheelspin is very rarely a problem compared to the everyday nuisance of low hanging dirty derailleur gears. That said, I guess safety is number one when it comes to large scale manufacturing. (Although Brompton have gone with a front motor and you can definitely spin the wheel if you try). All the best David.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David, yes there is, but the bike then wouldn't feel as punchy in the dry. You have given me a thought though, there is no reason why we shouldn't have a Winter and Summer mode. Hmmm.....

Thanks!

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I think the pineapple is trade of, I reported on the forum a week ago that whilst out on my wisper 806 folder which has a front drive motor that whilst riding on wet leaves I nearly pooped myself while going downhill as the bike was all over the place, no traction from the front wheel at all. One member recommended changing the tyres to studded although I can't seem to source them, this just for winter. This new bike looks dynamical really good and whilst I am very happy with the Nexus gearset on my current bike a folder is I think a trade of between full dynamics and stability on a full size bike with the convenience of a folder to easily transport which is why I feel this will do well in the market place. I have learnt my lesson and don't expect the same ride as a larger frame bike and adjust accordingly. It would be fantastic to have a duel mode which throttles the power down for winter and ups it during summer, not difficult to do Im sure.

Walt Buchan

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2018
The look and the price point are spot on, for me. And I need a folder for a new commute in about a month. Plus there’s a dealer 5 minutes from my house in Bristol. When will they be released?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I’m off to test the latest pre production sample next Sunday. We should be ready to push the button and get production underway. If everything is good we will have them in the UK by March.

All the best, David

Reactions: rexel1

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I’m off to test the latest pre production sample next Sunday. We should be ready to push the button and get production underway. If everything is good we will have them in the UK by March.

All the best, David
Hi David. You’ve probably answered this in another thread but I’ve forgotten. Is this development on hold or is there any news you can share? I do feel there is a lack of decent lighter weight folders at a mid-price point.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David. You’ve probably answered this in another thread but I’ve forgotten. Is this development on hold or is there any news you can share? I do feel there is a lack of decent lighter weight folders at a mid-price point.
Hi Jonah,

The new fold mechanism is causing problems. It’s been redesigned and tooling is underway. It will be at least another 6 months before it’s on the market.

In the meantime we are working on the new Wayfarer folder.

Thanks for asking.

All the best, David

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi Jonah,

The new fold mechanism is causing problems. It’s been redesigned and tooling is underway. It will be at least another 6 months before it’s on the market.

In the meantime we are working on the new Wayfarer folder.

Thanks for asking.

All the best, David
Thanks David.
What’s the Wayfarer folder going to be like, more like the 805? When are you planning to have that available?

On the subject of the Wayfarer, can you explain the curious non-standard voltage?

If you want someone to test ride and review any of the Wayfarers I’d be happy to help out.

All the best.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jonah,

Yes much more like the 806 but internal battery.

The 43.2V battery is fully charged at 50V, which is the limit we can sell under the Machinery Directive, it's a little unclear so we have gone for this slightly unusual Voltage, I believe some people call these 48V batteries. Also the capacity of the cell container allows perfectly for this Voltage. It gives us that little bit more power than the 36V version.

We will be doing a bit of a deal on a few bikes to get people out on them writing reviews.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting my math says you are utilising 12s David given that 12 x 3.6 is 43.2v nominal and balance/top charge is 4.16v per cell group.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes