GoCycle GS long term review?

Srikant Mishra

Just Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Hey guys,

I perused certain threads regarding Gocycle GS here and came to the conclusion that most people are happy with the bike. I did a test ride few days earlier and loved the lightness and comfort of it. I am curious about those who have been now using it long term, are you still happy with the bike and what problems, if any , have you guys faced? Also, is it not advisable to ride it in the rain? If so, why?

Funinhounslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
West London
I've had mine since November and use it pretty much every day.

Still delighted with it but there are a few things I would point out:

The top gear is a little low for my taste so I am spinning a little faster than I would like when maintaining a speed over 15mph.

It can attract attention and I would not be comfortable leaving it for an extended period where I could not "keep an eye on it". It's certainly not a bike to be left outside a tube station all day.

It doesn't bother me but the motor is a little noisy.

You have to be mindful of the location of the motor so run the front tyre at a slightly lower pressure and no hopping off kerbs etc

I think the guidance is to wipe it down after using it in the rain to protect the magnesium body. But I also wipe my ratty old CX down when it's wet anyway...

Stock tyres don't have great puncture resistance - get a pair of Big Bens!

You probably already know this, but it is not practical to fold this bike down daily as part of your commute. And to be fair to gocycle they've never made this claim - it's more to make it easier to take for weekends away

That's about it. I think it's primarily designed as an urban bike and it excels at this - nice upright riding position, step through frame and fat 20" tyres mean I find it supremely comfortable and very nippy setting off at lights etc. It's expensive but beautifully thought through - a real pleasure to own.

I'd have no hesitation recommending it as an city run around!

Hope this helps...

Srikant Mishra

Just Joined
Jul 18, 2018
I've had mine since November and use it pretty much every day.

Still delighted with it but there are a few things I would point out:

The top gear is a little low for my taste so I am spinning a little faster than I would like when maintaining a speed over 15mph.

It can attract attention and I would not be comfortable leaving it for an extended period where I could not "keep an eye on it". It's certainly not a bike to be left outside a tube station all day.

It doesn't bother me but the motor is a little noisy.

You have to be mindful of the location of the motor so run the front tyre at a slightly lower pressure and no hopping off kerbs etc

I think the guidance is to wipe it down after using it in the rain to protect the magnesium body. But I also wipe my ratty old CX down when it's wet anyway...

Stock tyres don't have great puncture resistance - get a pair of Big Bens!

You probably already know this, but it is not practical to fold this bike down daily as part of your commute. And to be fair to gocycle they've never made this claim - it's more to make it easier to take for weekends away

That's about it. I think it's primarily designed as an urban bike and it excels at this - nice upright riding position, step through frame and fat 20" tyres mean I find it supremely comfortable and very nippy setting off at lights etc. It's expensive but beautifully thought through - a real pleasure to own.

I'd have no hesitation recommending it as an city run around!

Hope this helps...
Thanks for this comprehensive review :)

Funinhounslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
West London
Slight thread bump but see I Gocycle have now introduced a fast folding model which will alleviate the security concerns I noted above...

https://gocycle.com/models/gocycle-gx

Looks ingenious especially if they've managed to retain the "solid" feeling of the GS

A comparison review of this and the Brompton would be interesting...