Going electric, too lazy to pedal

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Mind you, one time I was out on my roadbike and the pedal fell off because I forgot to tighten it. I managed to ride 8 miles with only the one pedal, though I had to walk up the steep hills
Reminds me of my first e-bike experience...the coyote connect folding bike.
I so wish that had a throttle. The pedal broke off at the start of a 7 mile journey home late at night. Trying to pedal ride to get the assist to work with just one pedal was pretty tough!

I wouldnt go for a bike that didnt have a throttle now

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Artstu, I wrote a tool to give estimate of battery consumption on my website here:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/clearway.php
If the OP wants to give me or input into the tool her postcode and the postcode where she works, the tool gives her a more accurate estimate for her commute.
The tool assumes bike + rider = 100kgs and normal pedaling (100W user input). I can always refine the result using her real weight and remove the pedaling input. It's not rocket science.
I never said it was rocket science. You're the one claiming a range of 50 miles on throttle alone with no pedalling. I see you also make the same claim on the website for when you also pedal. So which is it?
Go on then tweak the figures and at the very least come back with a more realistic estimate please.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know your circumstances why you get so poor performance on battery consumption on your bike.
Bosch simulator
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-cockpit/
gives about 60 miles for their 400WH battery, 6.6WH per mile.
You battery consumption is way over this figure, 720WH for 50 miles, 14.4WH per mile, more than twice the figure given by the Bosch simulator.
The Bosch figure is based on eco mode, with user input of 50%, so the figure for no user input is double that, 13WH per mile.
Power consumption is very much proportional to weight, the OP weighs 20% below the test rider weight, if you take 20% off 13WH per mile, you will come to 11WH per mile, that was my estimate for the OP. Her battery has 540WH, divided by 11, you get to the 50 miles.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You have to view these range figures in the same way you need to view the official fuel consumption figures of cars.

Out in the real world they never match the official figures. I don't use Eco, might as well ride an ordinary bike and go faster than a Bosch bike in Eco.

Juicy bikes have a more realistic range estimate, off-hand I don't know what it is for their 15AH battery? Juicy bikes remains the only website that I'm not able to view.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You have to view these range figures in the same way you need to view the official fuel consumption figures of cars.
Yes, there is no other way of estimating without meeting the person. If she comes to my shop - I can make a better guess.
You can always assume a worst case secenario, 40 mph windspeed straight into your face but that does not really matter, you won't want to ride more than a few miles under that condition and there is always the battery meter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
6.6 wh is quite a low figure to calculate distance possible though for a very strong rider this would work. I think I average 10-12 wh per mile.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
6.6 wh is quite a low figure to calculate distance possible though for a very strong rider this would work. I think I average 10-12 wh per mile.
the 6.6WH is given on Bosch Active line, 100kg bike + rider weight in tour mode.

I give 11WH as estimate for the OP.

Their simulator is pretty good:

Huge rise in power consumption if you use sport/turbo mode.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I'm not qualified to get involved in distance discussions. But to the OP I would like to say that the wife and I tested out the petite last weekend. I had a go as well, even though we are looking for her. I was very impressed with the power. I'm 17 stone. A huge lump of a bloke and that petite carried me up the only slight incline around throttle only. And it was accelerating.

My wife is about 13 stone and we had to turn the power down lol. My gut instinct is that at 10 stone your probably wouldn't need to peddle unless it's a steep hill. And then it will be light peddling. Wish I was 10 stone.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tugwell, did the new LCD arrive yet?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
the 6.6WH is given on Bosch Active line, 100kg bike + rider weight in tour mode.

I give 11WH as estimate for the OP.

Their simulator is pretty good:

Huge rise in power consumption if you use sport/turbo mode.
The following diagram could reconcile all the arguements.
The following diagram taken from the Schwalbe America website details the resistance forces working on a bike.For an undulating terrain, the gradient resistance, should average out to zero, but the rolling resistance , .. the heat generated by the deforming of the tyre on the road, and is weight dependent and the wind resistance always robs energy. Different tyres, different road surfaces and tyre pressures can affect the rolling resistance
If the cyclist weighs half as much as another, then the rolling resistance power loss is halved .
The stance of the cyclist on the bike eg Dutch, racing, hybrid will affect their exposed surface area and could vary the wind resistance by 50% . Dutch bikes being the most comfortable are also the worst aerodynamic shape.The speeds are in km per HR
rollwiderstand_diagramm_1_en.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It's worth mentioning to the OP that an ebike won't cause you to sweat when pedalling. :D
It does if you're doing right, like love making.