going over the 15.5 cut off point

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
There is no error. The car driver is tested for competence, the pedelec rider isn't.
Just because a car driver is tested for competence doesn't mean that the tested driver is competent. Many cyclists are car drivers, so some may be competent and some may not.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am seeing more and more incompetent pedelec riders (holiday season - everyone and their dog seems to have one...), in all evidence people who have never been on a normal bike in their life or haven't been on one in over 40 years. Or the last one they were on had learner wheels :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and chris_n

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just because a car driver is tested for competence doesn't mean that the tested driver is competent.
It does mean they can be competent, since they passed the test. There is no compulsory test of that possibility for cyclists.

The comparison of car drivers and driving with cyclists and cycling is always ridiculous.

A car driver is tested for competence and licenced, the car registered and number plated, so both are traceable. The driver is insured, confined to roads and subject to speed limits and all manner of other regulations.

A cyclist is untested for competence and unlicenced, the bike not registered so neither is traceable. The cyclist is usually uninsured and free to use paths etc shared with pedestrians and go offroad while subject to hardly any regulations.

There is no rational comparison.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Just because a car driver is tested for competence doesn't mean that the tested driver is competent. Many cyclists are car drivers, so some may be competent and some may not.
They still have had training for there specific vehicle choice thou
If there competent or not is another discussion entirely.

Last edited:

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
thanks all my Carrera is not a halfords ebike it is a Carrera with a cd moter fitted.
I also have a ktm bosch active line 50nm 700 c wheels hybrid, and tried it on tarmac slightly downhill and coluld only reach 21mph, but there is no way I could sustain that speed for more than a few seconds. and was using turbo.
my m8 has unpowered 700c hybrid and another m8 said his speed was up to 27mph.

nealh I have the same 350w rear moter as yourself fitted to my kudos vita uno 36/48v 17 amp controller, as it is higher rpm and speed sensor its ok on the flat .

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
thanks all my Carrera is not a halfords ebike it is a Carrera with a cd moter fitted.
I also have a ktm bosch active line 50nm 700 c wheels hybrid, and tried it on tarmac slightly downhill and coluld only reach 21mph, but there is no way I could sustain that speed for more than a few seconds. and was using turbo.

nealh I have the same 350w rear moter as yourself fitted to my kudos vita uno 36/48v 17 amp controller, as it is higher rpm and speed sensor its ok on the flat .
I am a bit younger that you - 63, and average between 27 and 32 km/h on the flat bit of road I ride for fitness training (27 km total which is why I know I averaged that after a 1 hour ride). I also average around 27 km/h on my pedelec.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
To return to the OP's point about feeling the cut off point, I can't see how anyone can fail to notice a 25% drop in assist or even a 300% drop in assist in less than a second. This with my Bosch system.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
To return to the OP's point about feeling the cut off point, I can't see how anyone can fail to notice a 25% drop in assist or even a 300% drop in assist in less than a second. This with my Bosch system.
I think it's perhaps more the case of not knowing if you have motor assistance or not. I will often glance down at the speedo and see that I am riding along at say 18 mph. Now the motor is no longer helping me but I could not feel that it wasn't and I would not have felt when it might have stopped helping either. This is on flat roads, I can't pedal an ebike up hill at 18mph lol.

I also find that there is not a sudden cut off its kind of a gradual process and it seems to depend on what mode you are in and on what cadence you are pedalling at. For example if I am in turbo mode and I am setting a high cadence up a slight incline. The motor will still be assisting me at up to about 16.8 mph. If I go a bit faster then the motor will stop helping.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It seems that some of you luddites :D are only using the minimum or some form of eco assistance level. o_O

I'm on max power assistance a lot of the time and the hills sort out the speed for me. :)

Reactions: Nev

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My "crappy Chinese" KT controller is much more sophisticated than that and power reduction is progressive over several seconds.

You are accelerating, the motor helps you up to 25 km/h but, if you are a healthy cyclist, you continue to accelerate up to about 32 km/h and then you start to feel aerodynamics (lack of) kick in. So the difference is felt over a period where you increase your speed by 7 km/h, between 20 and 25 km/h power delivery is slowly decreased on my controller. That is how it should be and as it is specified in EN 15194.

Reactions: Nev

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Oh dear - it seems like the Bosch Active Line Plus can misbehave in the same way as the Suntour system. I have the Bosch on my Halfords Crossfuse, and if I pedal on a slight downhill I can easily reach 25mph with the assist switched on or off. I have not so far had it prevent me doing so in the same way as the Suntour very regularly did.
Mike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
With my Bosch bike I ride in e-MTB mode and the removal of power is gradual but in turbo it is a more abrupt cessation.
Confused by the downhill comments because I find that all the extra weight makes gravity my friend pushing me up towards 50mph (80kmh) or at least as near as I dare go.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Oh dear - it seems like the Bosch Active Line Plus can misbehave in the same way as the Suntour system. I have the Bosch on my Halfords Crossfuse, and if I pedal on a slight downhill I can easily reach 25mph with the assist switched on or off. I have not so far had it prevent me doing so in the same way as the Suntour very regularly did.
Mike
More likely his bike has low gearing.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Confused by the downhill comments because I find that all the extra weight makes gravity my friend pushing me up towards 50mph (80kmh) or at least as near as I dare go.
Got to agree completely I can spin out at 46mph down a lot of hills where I live :)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've had both versions of the Bosch active motor, 1st gen & now the 3rd generation.
The first gen motor has an internal gear reduction and a noticeable cutoff, saying that it still rode above cutoff and my top speed down hill was 49mph
( gutted it wasn't 50:( )
As others have said and I agree, with the 3rd gen active motor there's no noticeable cutoff point, I still find myself at 17-18 mph going up & down the assist levels just to see if I'm getting any help or doing it all myself. My cube acid doesn't have the tall gears so current top speed is only 43mph :(
so far ;)

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I've had both versions of the Bosch active motor, 1st gen & now the 3rd generation.
The first gen motor has an internal gear reduction and a noticeable cutoff, saying that it still rode above cutoff and my top speed down hill was 49mph
( gutted it wasn't 50:( )
As others have said and I agree, with the 3rd gen active motor there's no noticeable cutoff point, I still find myself at 17-18 mph going up & down the assist levels just to see if I'm getting any help or doing it all myself. My cube acid doesn't have the tall gears so current top speed is only 43mph :(
so far ;)
you need to fit an xd driver rear hub and use a 10t rear sprocket........

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
i have no problems what so ever going over the 15.5mph cut off on my cube acid.......i quite regularly on flat, rolling sections pedal it at around 20mph and going down hill it just bombs

as some some has quite rightly quoted, into a headwind the assist is a god send, but surely you dont need to be going upwards of 20mph into a headwind regularly

for me the assist is there for climbing and thats it, i'm a pretty big powerful chap and really dont need the assist on flat or rolling roads