Got a mouse...

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
...summit squeaking..doing my nut in...thought it might be bb or cranks..took bolt off left crank..there,s a threaded spindle..which you use the crank puller to pull crank off with right?..took me all of 30 seconds to balls the thread up on this spindle..there,s still some thead there..bike can still be ridden..just don,t feel like it much now with this squeak..so what,s the next step?..lbs?..i hate bikes.:(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tho it could be anything unless you can pin point where it is coming from as i had one where the main pivot bolt was coming loose and found out it was that when it fell off and cost 25 quid for a new one bit of lock tight and not moved since.

also had to change the head set bearings as had one from that but it is just wear and tear.

sounds like it is time for a full service and strip down to check all the bearings ect is about 80 quid at my lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul smith

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Ok..speak English to me now..main pivot bolt?..head set bearings??..forum does my head in..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0643_01.JPG DSC_0645_01.JPG
DSC_0628.JPG
pivot bolt is right of the rear sus and holds the rear end on one top and bottom.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Ok..speak English to me now..main pivot bolt?..head set bearings??..forum does my head in..
OK so you hate bikes and this forum dose your head in, is this some sort of reverse way asking for help :confused:
Head bearings ?
The part of your frame where the forks fit is caled the head & the forks turn on bearings, referred to as a head set.
Main pivot bolt ?
on a full suspension bike the rear wheel conects to the main frame via a swing arm, the swing arm moves up and down or pivots against the main frame, the bolt that holds the swing arm to the frame is known as the pivot bolt.
Any place where's there's movement needs lubricant, my most anoying squeaks were pedal bearings and a bushing ( bearing ) on my suspension seatpost.

• Informative

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Ok...thanks wave an gringo....I don,t think it,s the pivots perhaps I should of added.. squeak is rather random an only happens when peddling..but not all the time..it was very loud the other week..im sure it,s coming from the cranks or the bb..bike just over 2 years old an done over 3000 miles..do you rekon it might be time to have new ones fitted?...as for forum doing my head in..i shouldn,t have said that...just one of them days yesterday..i knew as soon as I seen a magpie 1st thing in the morning I shoulda gone back to bed...oh well...:)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
OK so you hate bikes and this forum dose your head in, is this some sort of reverse way asking for help :confused:
Head bearings ?
The part of your frame where the forks fit is caled the head & the forks turn on bearings, referred to as a head set.
Main pivot bolt ?
on a full suspension bike the rear wheel conects to the main frame via a swing arm, the swing arm moves up and down or pivots against the main frame, the bolt that holds the swing arm to the frame is known as the pivot bolt.
Any place where's there's movement needs lubricant, my most anoying squeaks were pedal bearings and a bushing ( bearing ) on my suspension seatpost.
I have heard it called the 'Oh Jesus!' bolt

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
squeak is rather random an only happens when peddling..but not all the time..it was very loud the other week..
A Simple thing often forgoten, try retightening you pedals. A almost tight pedal can creak randomly, back them off a half turn then do them up again.
Worth a try ;)

Advertisers