Government subsidize

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
This is seriously nice.

Swedish government has announced that they will subsidize ebike purchase, with start from 20 sep!

The amount is 25% or up to 10000 SEK, which is about £920.

That is most awesome! It is a part of a focus towards greener society which they have been doing various things for. They hope more people will start to ride bike than chosing the car. And I think the high price point is a big factor for many, now with this, it should be more tempting to make the switch.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
This is seriously nice.

Swedish government has announced that they will subsidize ebike purchase, with start from 20 sep!

The amount is 25% or up to 10000 SEK, which is about £920.

That is most awesome! It is a part of a focus towards greener society which they have been doing various things for. They hope more people will start to ride bike than chosing the car. And I think the high price point is a big factor for many, now with this, it should be more tempting to make the switch.
Thanks mate, I have just ordered a trailer load of Stealth Bombers.

MS.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Thanks mate, I have just ordered a trailer load of Stealth Bombers.

MS.
hehe, ok. Well. I don't know the criterias. The things I read is that you have to send in the bill and get it tested and then you will get this "Premium" next year (1 Jan is the official date of this).
Read more: http://svenskcykling.se/2017/09/20/elcykelpremien-okar-nyttan-med-investering-cykelvag/

I think it's made for private use and not for commercial business. But don't know for sure.

Just read that swe government calls this whole thing, where this is a part of "Sweden's biggest environment staking ever".

(wish I bought my newest expensive ebike now instead :))

---

We have now about 6-7% ebikes in the whole bike sales. But they intend to double that amount.

Does UK do some things to inspire ordinary people to buy ebikes?

Reactions: mountainsport

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing at all. There's subsidies from £2500 to £4500 on the purchase of hybrid and e-cars, but no help on e-bikes.

There are some assisted purchase schemes for any sort of bicycle, buying through an employer, but nothing for the individual.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Deere John and TedG

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Subsidise??
Our fragmented non government is doing its very best to make it as difficult as possible for e-bikers to continue to exist here. :mad:
sorry to hear that man. Well, we have bad bicycle lanes and most cities are a nightmare to bike-commute in. Not like Copenhagen which are the role model in most cases. I don't remember how London is though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sorry to hear that man. Well, we have bad bicycle lanes and most cities are a nightmare to bike-commute in. Not like Copenhagen which are the role model in most cases. I don't remember how London is though...
London is slowly improving, we now have an East-West segregated cycle route and there's talk of a North-South one. They are not very extensive though, only linking inner areas of the city. Otherwise it's just painted line cyclepaths and cycle superhighways, the difference between them that the superhighway surface is painted a different colour!

• Informative
Reactions: Deere John and TedG

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
hehe, ok. Well. I don't know the criterias. The things I read is that you have to send in the bill and get it tested and then you will get this "Premium" next year (1 Jan is the official date of this).
Read more: http://svenskcykling.se/2017/09/20/elcykelpremien-okar-nyttan-med-investering-cykelvag/

I think it's made for private use and not for commercial business. But don't know for sure.

Just read that swe government calls this whole thing, where this is a part of "Sweden's biggest environment staking ever".

(wish I bought my newest expensive ebike now instead :))

---

We have now about 6-7% ebikes in the whole bike sales. But they intend to double that amount.

Just because we all ride ebikes that doesn't make us ordinary people, we are all royalty okay! ;)

MS.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
It's only a budget proposal as far as I can see.

Umea had great cycle lanes when I was there 20+ years ago & things can only have improved.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
It's only a budget proposal as far as I can see.
It's not a proposal. It's decided now. Many resellers are now updating their homepages to get the most out of this.

Umea had great cycle lanes when I was there 20+ years ago & things can only have improved.
Aha, yes that is a student city and they are often better. Like Linköping. But in general I think it's not that great. But of course that depends on what you compare with. They are trying to improve everywhere. My city here, Gothenburg, is not so great, like routing the bike lane just along the biggest shopping mall. Suicide if you don't watch out. Well, with this new investment I think it will slowly become better and if ebike sales would reach their target, double the amount. Then it would have a snowball-effect so I think in the future it will be very good :) next year it's election though but these questions are hot topics now so I think the focus will remain no matter what.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I liked the fact that they used to sand the cyclepaths in winter in Umea. I gave up once it stayed below -15C, but it was a good way of getting around there.

Anyway, now it's firm action, only good things can come from it. I was toying with the idea of doing a Gota Kanal ride one year with my Oxygen.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The cap is 5X the French one (200€) which is realistic especially for those on the market for a cargo bike to take the kids to school for example. The Babboe Curve Mountain would be 2925 € down from 3899€ which is quite a good alternative to a small car in a city with easy return on investment in three years.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I liked the fact that they used to sand the cyclepaths in winter in Umea. I gave up once it stayed below -15C, but it was a good way of getting around there.
Aha, cool! Yes, -15 begins to feel cold. Umeå is very far north from here. But even here they sand/salt paths so that is good. I commute every day all year, don't normally use electric when it's really cold and have just bought Schwalbe Winter for my CX which will take care of those days (but not the rare days with snow, then my fatbike will be the obvious choice! playtime!)

I was toying with the idea of doing a Gota Kanal ride one year with my Oxygen.
Hehe, never heard of that adventure, but why not, the canal is nice and it is not very long either. Make sure you post some photos here.
(my idea is to ride the classic "Sweden race" from north to south, only about 1800km, will be most awesome, but in my own tempo)

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Interesting concept: shutting down the shut down govt. Well at least you know you are paying them for coming up with interesting ideas like that! :rolleyes:

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been banned from forums for writing what I would like to write here but an eleven month fully paid holiday - and continuing - makes me wonder why I worked so hard all my life.
Also the stupid thing is that the UK government are so tied up with Brexit that they aren't attending to issues in their own back yard like this one in N.I.

Knocking heads together there and waving a big stick should be their first priority and certainly not an ignored issue. Leaving 2.8 million UK citizens without government for so long is inexcusable and a disgrace.