Gradient of a climb

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Probably a stupid question, but could someone confirm the following average gradient for me?

Ride length 5.6 miles with an elevation gain of 4,570ft

From what I have worked out, the average gradient is 15.5%

It is an off road climb that I have been planning, and starts at an elevation of 6,762ft and ends at an elevation of 11,332ft. Whilst some sections will be stupidly steep, and are documented as being 25%, some sections will be less so, and I am just curious to know the average.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
There is a bit of argument calculating slope. We generally measure the hypotenuse(the bit we ride, called the run) and the rise is height gain...
5.6 miles is 29568ft. Height gain 4570.Divide rise by run and x by 100.
Gives 0.154...Equating to 15.4 %. Strictly speaking in maths terms we should calculate the base and use that which probably is the way Flecc has calculated it. On UK roads the hypotenuse (run) is used..makes calcs easier.
Its around 16% either way.
Both ways are correct... Depends on your definition in first place.. Is slope height gained per unit travelled, or height gained per unit moved perpendicular over the ground.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
There is a bit of argument calculating slope. We generally measure the hypotenuse(the bit we ride, called the run) and the rise is height gain...
5.6 miles is 29568ft. Height gain 4570.Divide rise by run and x by 100.
Gives 0.154...Equating to 15.4 %. Strictly speaking in maths terms we should calculate the base and use that which probably is the way Flecc has calculated it. On UK roads the hypotenuse (run) is used..makes calcs easier.
Its around 16% either way.
Both ways are correct... Depends on your definition in first place.. Is slope height gained per unit travelled, or height gained per unit moved perpendicular over the ground.
What now lol

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks guys.

One very rough sketch! :oops:View attachment 26933
Now if you drew that to scale you would be less scared :D

Around my new flat there are bits of road that look just like your drawing. Haven't tried any yet, will do so when work finishes. On my commute there are a couple of bits that I would be more comfortable on with a 38 tooth chainwheel.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

Advertisers