Granddads Adventure

Tony W

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2018
Derby
FIV_5048.jpg The bike project started last year with obtaining a couple of 20 inch bikes with gears for my grandsons. We live just inside a couple of hundred acres of country parkland so letting them loose on bikes was ideal. So the obvious happened, granddad walking along was soon abandoned by two 5 year olds bombing of into the distance. Its very awkward going home without them, or as what normally happens them going home and reporting that granddad had left them.

So I repaired a 1990 Raleigh that had not been used since 1995. I wanted them to see something been repaired and not just bought from a shop. A very good summer was had riding around the park especially with the addition of a trailer to carry my one year old granddaughter.

By the end of the summer we had two now 6 year old’s bombing of and leaving granddad way behind.

So faced with this prospect of 6/7 year olds disappearing into the distance and having taken the bikes on holiday and discovered the pleasures of cycling and how steep hills are when you get older, I decided to put an electric bike together.

So purchased a second hand hardly used (2014) Specialized Crosstrail. I wanted disc brakes and a bit of front suspension, a BBSHD motor and 48 volt 11.6 AH battery. With the tracks around the park been regularly muddy and riding with companions who love going through large puddles mudguards were necessary. I then decided it would be ideal to pop to the shops (1.5 miles away) and trips to town (5.5 miles) plus picnics and general supplies, so panniers and pannier bags were added. It took longer to get them on than the motor.

So the results have been excellent. Have now done 170 miles, no problems. Longest trip was yesterday to see how far the battery would go, covered 35 miles nearly all flat nearly all in setting 1. The battery was still pushing me along in setting 1 but struggled in 4 going uphill just using the accelerator.

The trips with the boys are odd. The other day I covered 2.5 miles in 2.5 hours. Its a quick burst for a couple of hundred yards, then build a den, or climb a tree, or ride through very large puddles, or go up and down hills, then another quick burst to the next location. My average speed overall shows 5.6mph, on shop, town runs its 14-18mph.

Have had the programming lead since getting the bike but have not used it yet. I need to slow down setting 1 for the crawling along with the trailer. Going through the park with dogs and children flying around calls for care.

I have the gear sensor but have no urgency to fit it as there has not been any problems with out it.

So after a month of use this project is a success with the potential of some very enjoyable summer adventures. Also using the bike for small trips like going to a motor factors or going to meet somebody for lunch. As all our vehicles are large 4 wheel drives this could actually save some money.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Lucky grandkids, such an introduction to the fun of cycling will stay with them all of their lives. Kids were designed to be in the great outdoors.