Gravel Bikes

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

there's a new class of road-bikes that has crept in called gravel bikes. They have slightly wider forks and frames to accommodation wider mtb-type tyres, and the geometry gives more relaxed steering and handling. I managed to snag this one from Ebay. It's an absolute peach:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272637299514?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Compared with my other road-bikes, it's extremely comfortable. I don't know whether it's the slightly bigger tyres, but I can hardly feel bumps. Also, it has relatively low gearing, so hills are not really a problem. I can go with about the same effort as my electric bike, but I'd say it's faster all round. Obviously, on steep hills, with full power, the electric bike will win, but on the flat or down-hill, it's got no chance.

These bikes are very efficient. I posted in another thread about how easily I passed a very fit-looking guy on a full-sus MTB up a medium hill. I also came across a few electric bikes yesterday and gave them a polite "hello" as I shot past.

the idea of gravel bikes is that you can take them on canal paths and trails off-road. I think they branched off from Cyclocross bikes. They therefore make very good all-round bikes and overcome most of the shortcomings of road-bikes.

If you ride around on eco or level 1 all the time, you might want to think about the transition over to one of these type bikes. The only downsides are that when you're feeling tired, you can't turn up the power, and they're not so good for shopping, but you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy everything else is, especially getting it out of the shed/house, and, of course, no battery anxiety.

For the time being, my electric bike is relegated to shopping trips and trips where I need to carry stuff - poor thing.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I'd be interested to try a gravel bike. I used to ride a cyclocross to work prior to the Oxygen. My route was a mix of on road and off road and I found it to be quick on both.

I've read that the position is a little more upright on gravel bikes, is that true?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, CX means Cyclocross, which involves trails. You can see 37mm wide tyres, which are a bit knobbly too.

Rather than that Boardman, I have a Whyte kings Cross that i need to get rid of now. Yours for £250 if you want it. I originally bought it to convert, but I was pretty fit at that time, and I found that I was happy to ride it without power. Then I saw my Litespeed with titanium and carbon frame. I had to have it. It's a lot lighter, so I started riding it and the Whyte got shelved. The Giant I now have is both light and comfortable, so I guess that the Litespeed will have to go too.

On the Whyte, somebody added the inboard brake levers that you can get for cable brakes. so there's two sets of brake levers; however, the brakes are not very good, so I was going to change the bars to carbon fibre straight ones and change the brakes to hydraulics. I already bought the bars and brakes ready for the change, but never got around to it. It's a medium size frame.

I'm 5ft 10", and it fits perfectly. It's a bit bigger than my Litespeed, which I also find OK. My Giant is bigger, and I also find it comfortable, so I guess the Whyte would suit people that are a couple of inches smaller and a couple of inches bigger than me.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
They can be used to race cyclocross too, a tad on the heavy side this Revolt, altough the long wheelbase compared to a proper CX bike was an advantage at venues with very steep banked climbs to tackle.

14355554_1797421490476283_6658310250197227583_n.jpg

you have to swing your leg a bit to get on though :eek:

Heanor.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Yes, CX means Cyclocross, which involves trails. You can see 37mm wide tyres, which are a bit knobbly too.

Rather than that Boardman, I have a Whyte kings Cross that i need to get rid of now. Yours for £250 if you want it. I originally bought it to convert, but I was pretty fit at that time, and I found that I was happy to ride it without power. Then I saw my Litespeed with titanium and carbon frame. I had to have it. It's a lot lighter, so I started riding it and the Whyte got shelved. The Giant I now have is both light and comfortable, so I guess that the Litespeed will have to go too.

On the Whyte, somebody added the inboard brake levers that you can get for cable brakes. so there's two sets of brake levers; however, the brakes are not very good, so I was going to change the bars to carbon fibre straight ones and change the brakes to hydraulics. I already bought the bars and brakes ready for the change, but never got around to it. It's a medium size frame.

I'm 5ft 10", and it fits perfectly. It's a bit bigger than my Litespeed, which I also find OK. My Giant is bigger, and I also find it comfortable, so I guess the Whyte would suit people that are a couple of inches smaller and a couple of inches bigger than me.
Thanks for the offer, images of one online does look a nice bike and only weighs 11kg.
It's just an idea at the moment and will consider it in the future.
It would need delivering across the country though which may be a problem.
I've never ridden a road style bike and sitting on one the other week felt a bit strange so am going to try and get a ride on one to try.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have been considering a normal bike again as lately I feel I may be fine with one again following my last ride on the Swizzbee which I spent a fair bit riding unpowered and my Norco Indie which I am riding in assist 2.

It has been 35+ years since I last rode a drop handle bar bike however the gravel bike is more multiuse and sounds ideal for more off road use as on the Downs I see them bombing along.
Currently weighing up the idea of getting a <1k 9.4kg one with HDB, 1 x 10 (11/36t) and 38t chain ring as dry weather summer ride, with the low gearing I'm hoping inclines will be less of an issue.
The thinking if I do get one and find hills and issue is I can always fit a GSM mid drive if I have to with light small battery to keep o/s weight under 15/16kg.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have been considering a normal bike again as lately I feel I may be fine with one again following my last ride on the Swizzbee which I spent a fair bit riding unpowered and my Norco Indie which I am riding in assist 2.

It has been 35+ years since I last rode a drop handle bar bike however the gravel bike is more multiuse and sounds ideal for more off road use as on the Downs I see them bombing along.
Currently weighing up the idea of getting a <1k 9.4kg one with HDB, 1 x 10 (11/36t) and 38t chain ring as dry weather summer ride, with the low gearing I'm hoping inclines will be less of an issue.
The thinking if I do get one and find hills and issue is I can always fit a GSM mid drive if I have to with light small battery to keep o/s weight under 15/16kg.
I have been considering a similar idea myself lately.
Planetx have some good looking gravel bikes, I like the London Road frame I built my previous bike with.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes
Also Evans Pinnacle Arkose is another worth looking at.
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-1-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV306244

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pinnacle Arkose X is the one I have been looking at, I can always fit a 40 or 42t cassette in the future for lower gearing. Evan's Gatwick HQ is only a 10min ride from home so will be popping in
this week for a look and hopefully a test ride.
Also the TRP Hylex HDB's use the same B01S pads, inline with all of my bikes which ticks a compatibility box. The calliper also doesn't look to dissimilar to Shimano's br m395/446 range, which are more them adequate for all of my riding.
I can then get shot of my FS Cube as I don't like the ride very much as it feels cumbersome.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget that they're a lot lighter than an ebike, so hills are not as bad as you think, but you will need a double chainring on the front and something like 11/36 at the back.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have been in putting spec's into a gear calc and the 1x 10 or 11 is showing too big a jump in gears for even peddling and smooth riding . Weighing up 2 x11 which will give an extra high gear, the 48/32t x 11/32 stock gearing will give 436% range. If I mod the stock gearing to 11/36 it's giving 491% gear ranges courtesy of adding a simple ROAD LINK to the hanger. Ultimately a 46t will be better for me still giving 470% range and still give good down hill spinning.

I've been trawling u-tube and found a guy who managed to get 11/36 on a road bike and keep the rear mech ( which is meant to only take 32 or 34 low gear) by simply reversing the 'B' screw, by doing so it allowed another 1 - 2mm clearance between top jockey and 36t for a nice chain line with low gear.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When I was researching I came across a guy who had put a Sunrace 11-40 on a road bike. I think he was using a trekking rear mech which is compatible with road shifter pull.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I was researching I came across a guy who had put a Sunrace 11-40 on a road bike. I think he was using a trekking rear mech which is compatible with road shifter pull.
Sounds similar to one I found, where a guy fitted 11/42. No way could I use 2 x compact set up like them though,those guys have great stamina for long distances and climbing.

Advertisers