Green Cube Reaction Hybrid stolen in Oxford

mmrizio

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2017
NL
Sorry to begin my first post like this, but my bike was stolen last Thursday in Oxford. It is a 19 inch 2017 flash green Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA SLT 500 29'er. So a practically new hardtail E-MTB, with ~200 km's on it and hardly a scratch. It has a very remarkable neon-green colour, and the remarkable shape with the battery embedded in the hydroformed frame.
Frame number: WOW37964PSHM
Battery number: 0275007530717110812
Engine number: 0275007037717200699

Typical of the bike is that some items were "upgraded" with Chinese stuff: Suspended saddle pole, shortened (narrow) carbon riser handlebars with foam grips and bar ends, smartphone holder, luggage rack etc. When it was stolen it had a 19 tooth front sprocket for high speed road riding. It does not run well in lowest gear, as the chain is a bit short now. Some of this may have been changed by the people that took the bike, though. The bike was stolen without the charger and without the keys for the battery.

The Oxford Thamesvalley Police are looking into it, but I fear the bike already left the area. So I would like you also to look out for my bike.
If you see this bike, please let me know. Or the police, so noone gets hurt :-/ Feel free to query for more details.

Maurice (mmrizio@gmail.com)

PS: I hope it is ok to post a request like this. If not, please accept my apologies and point me into the right direction.

mmrizio

Jul 24, 2017
NL
A picture tells more than 1000 words...

This was the bike before I changed the bars, seatpost, green anodized bike bell and smartphone mount etc. Please also note the 'Cube Store team rider' sticker on the rear frame. I really hope the bike will surface again and come back to me.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry to hear that. I live in Oxford and will let you know if I spot your bike. Where did it get stolen? Did they cut your lock?

Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmrizio

Jul 24, 2017
NL
Thanks for keeping an eye open for the bike.

It was stolen in bright daylight from St Magdalen Street East. It was locked with 2 cable locks.
It was there for 1 hour when I went to buy some books. When I came back it was still there, but I decided to rearrange by bag and have a small drink at the Martyr's memorial. 5 minutes later it was gone. A guy cut both locks and ride off with the bike in seconds.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for keeping an eye open for the bike.

It was stolen in bright daylight from St Magdalen Street East. It was locked with 2 cable locks.
It was there for 1 hour when I went to buy some books. When I came back it was still there, but I decided to rearrange by bag and have a small drink at the Martyr's memorial. 5 minutes later it was gone. A guy cut both locks and ride off with the bike in seconds.
He was watching you then. As soon as you were out of sight it was a done deal, sounds like a professional who knew what he was looking for and not a casual thief...

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

Cable locks aren't enough. They can be cropped with small croppers. I doubt that you were targeted. I'm sure these guys just cruise around looking for bikes that are easy to steal. If they had a car, they might well have had more serious tools, but most likely, it was just guy cycling around with the croppers in his pocket. when he sees a bike, he parks his around the corner or in the same rack if your is in a bike rack, crops and rides away, and then comes back later for his bike.

A couple of times I'd parked mine in a back street tied to a lamppost. When I came back there's some lowlife with a very cheap MTB standing next to mine or just circulating nearby. Guys like that seem to materialise out of thin air in some districts. Luckily, whatever tools they have couldn't deal with my roller lock. Maybe they'd phoned a friend for the angle grinder, but I got there first.

• :D

mmrizio

Jul 24, 2017
NL
I'm afraid d8veh is right. I made it too easy, with "just 2 cable locks".
It was the first time the bike was parked there, and only for 1 hour. So it must have been some lowlife with bolt cutters, hanging around for a nice bike with suitable locks.
My assumption was that this would not happen in 1 hour in bright daylight, on a busy location.
Very sore that I had to learn this with a 2500UKP bike - although they should keep their hands off *any* bike that doesn't belong to them.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

I wish I could use my light weight carbon fibre road bike for everything, but I hate having to carry a heavy lock. Once, I used it to nip down to the doctor with a fair sized cable lock, but while i was in there waiting the queue (only 10 minutes), I didn't feel comfortable at all, so it's back to my electric bike for everything that involves parking now.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Not long after joining here. I read about locks on here and followed some YouTube links about bike theft and suitable locks. Those cable locks shouldn't even be sold as deterrents. Some of them just pull apart .

I use a big 40 quid heavy chAin. As i have to lock to trees and lamp posts occasionally. It's only silver rated but is covered by insurance .

Videos show safest way is two locks a good D and a chain. That will stop the opportunist . However they also took a grinder out in London and no one stopped them. If they want it, they will get it. Your job is to make it less attractive in every way. Terrible shame we can't just enjoy.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Sorry to read about your bike.I had a decent hardtail nicked a few years ago they left an old cronk.I would love to use my Ebike more for just doing jobs nipping to the shop etc but no way im i leaving it unattended no matter what lock i have .the thieving bastards would find a way.I hope you get it back or get reimbursed my house insurance paid up if i rember properly.

Related Articles

Advertisers