Greenedge cs2 battery casing melting a lot

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england

Hi all, if you see my video here to describe problem, i have now had to replace the plastic casing for the battery for a 6th time in the last 2 and half years. I replaced the motor in back wheel a few months ago and everything is in good nik.

E bikes direct have always been helpful and at times sent me out a new one for free now and again. They suggested replace motor so I did so and, then it melted again a few months later just now!. They told me to take care with gears and pedal hard up hills etc, which I do.

I need a new casing solution as its too anoying to have to replace this often at 25 quid a pop - sometimes regulary but then sometimes its fine for several months. Can anyone advise?

No other problems with this bike aside this tbh. I paid 650 new a few years or so back, so i know i get what i pay for here but i need a new solution here other than buying a new bike.

See below: negative pin is slightly downward and this makes it loose contact with the battery. Regular cut outs until replaced. When taken apart the spring is melted into the plastic casing. The casing contains mark "sym-electric.com" , little on the site to help me in regards to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Put a blob of grease on the copper pins.
Vibrations from the road may cause the battery to rattle. Grease helps to maintain contact.

D

Deleted member 4366

Your problem is more related to the weather than your motor or riding style. I've seen that a few times on that type of battery. You need to keep the contacts clean. One speck of dirt can cause that. If you ride the bike in the rain, grit can get down there, and the water can be salty, which damages the contact too. Think about total protection to stop dirt and water getting in.

The other reasons they heat up is when the nut isn't done up tight on the inside and when the soldering is bad.

Reactions: smithwoodward

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
I had the same problem with the exact same bike ended up getting it repaired 3-4 times and ended up selling it after I got a haibike which costs a lot more but in the long run its worth it

Sent from an S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Reactions: smithwoodward

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
Yeah illl get a new bike next year defo. Need 9 more months out of it though. Just wondered if there was any chance putting a new battery and holder on it something much better to use with exsisting bike and motor etc

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
I'm not sure cause the controller is in the bottom of the holder maybe someone else might be able to assist in that department sorry

Sent from an S6 Edge using Tapatalk

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
ok cool, someone suggested trying a glue gun to fix the existing one, which im tempted to try, problem is it might be tricky because its a spring in a casing and the sides melt around it, not sure also if thats too dangerous. ill get the new part tomorrow and upload a video of the insides to show what keeps happening.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't use glue. The pins need to move freely to work.
Use a large velcro strap to strap your battery to the downtube and stop if from jolting over road bumps.

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
The new part turned up (now the 6th one!) as you can see heres the old one:

And the new:

I'll try all the suggestions thrown at me, velcro strap/tighten up as much as possible, blob of grease, keeping it clean etc - appreciated. Longterm, I need a solution to stop this from happening again and again though. We will see what happens from now.

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
The manufactures have offered to take a look at the whole bike for me if i get it to them and have been very helpful so far, So far so good with the new part.

Reactions: flecc

Michael Rose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2016
I've suffered the same problem, I've had my bike since April 2016 and the problem started just after a year. In the 3 months after I've melted through 3 battery holders. I spoke to ebikes direct and the problem is due to drawing too much current according to them which may be attributed to riding style - i do dispute that as I'm usually in second gear and speed setting 4 on my steepest climbs, there's a few in sheffield. Anyway, ebikes direct have put a new motor in the wheel for me and a new controller for no extra charge which is jolly decent of them as its out of warranty. I have greased up the battery contacts and made sure the contacts in the controller housing a thread locked. I did not they've used 2 nuts per contact which should help as previously this was just a single nut. Only time will tell. I really do hope this new motor and controller solves the issue as it will be such a shame to have to sell it because it cant handle a few hills.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not too much current. It's too much resistance. The pins are sprung, but dirt stops them from springing properly so that they make contact but without pressure. That causes high contact resistance so the contact area heats up when you use the bikes. It gets so hot that it melts the plastic, which makes them stick all the more. The only solution is to check and lubricate them regularly. You can test the springiness by pushing them down with your fingers.

Unfortunately, the controller sits in the base of the battery, which means that swapping to a different type of battery, like a dolphin one, is tricky. This guy made a bodge, but it doesn't look very waterproof:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/2015-greenedge-cs2-electritric-bike/1249671445

You could put the controller in a triangle tool bag if the wire lengths permit, then you can use any battery you want.

Reactions: Michael Rose

Michael Rose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2016
I think I'll make a battery cover from my helmet cover - its big enough to fit and has a draw string.

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
d8veh, liking that idea a lot. the cs2 is a awesome bike for the money... its just this one issue that seems to get a few people, good to know im not the only one. in the end, e bikes direct took my bike back also and changed everything for me, motor, base, controller, new wires etc, charge me 60 quid which I thought was fair as mine too was also out of warranty and 6 days later it melted again, probably the 6th time now. I was offered 50 quid off a new bike on finance (as i wanted one anyway and asked them if they could do me any deals), and in the end I bought locally a Haibike on finance in Bristol. I actually prefer and miss the greenedge cs2 a lot, well, the throttle more than anything and the fact it feels more constant than the haibike for pedal assist, however the haibike is good for hills, really good. I stand by saying apart from this issue this cs2 bike is really good and tech support is fast.I got a few years out of it at least and I will just avoid any big hills on the cs2 for now and take all the advice given, use my cs2 for small journeys now and the haibike for commutes... good combination. t cheers again

Advertisers