Greeting from Shropshire

Simon Drake

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2017
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Evening all.
I have been a long term owner of various Trek & Marin MTB's for over 40 odd years now and have been watching the steady evolution of eBikes over the last decade but had always disliked the ugly poorly designed appearance of the "Bolt on Battery" lump.
Last month when my Trek DS 8.6 was being serviced I was talking to the service manager of my local bike shop who showed me pictures of the latest Trek Powerfly 2018 range with the Bosch System and the built in battery in the downtube.
So being someone who buys products that have top design innovations (Apple/Volvo/Sonos, etc) as soon as I saw this latest eMTB it had my name on it.........
Today marked my 1st serious ride and what an amazing eMTB it is, totally transformed my riding range!

Reactions: LeighPing

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Evening all.
I have been a long term owner of various Trek & Marin MTB's for over 40 odd years now and have been watching the steady evolution of eBikes over the last decade but had always disliked the ugly poorly designed appearance of the "Bolt on Battery" lump.
Last month when my Trek DS 8.6 was being serviced I was talking to the service manager of my local bike shop who showed me pictures of the latest Trek Powerfly 2018 range with the Bosch System and the built in battery in the downtube.
So being someone who buys products that have top design innovations (Apple/Volvo/Sonos, etc) as soon as I saw this latest eMTB it had my name on it.........
Today marked my 1st serious ride and what an amazing eMTB it is, totally transformed my riding range!
Evening all.
Hi Simon, looks a really nice ebike with clean lines and really like the front suspension how long was your first outing?

Simon Drake

Aug 10, 2017
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Hi Robbieg
My 1st real ride was just a mere 20 odd miles but with various altitude changes of nearly 800ft max with several steeps 20% gradients it was so nice not to have to get off & push the really steep sections.

Leaving home with a fully charged battery in the eMTB mode it showed a range of only 33 miles but as this 1st ride progressed whilst the battery emptied the range remaining actually increased as the Bosch system learned my riding characteristics. So arriving home with approx 60% capacity remaining I still had another 29 miles range - very pleased with that especially after recharging the range became 56 in the eMTB mode.
Tomorrow I have having the enhanced "Nyon" Bosch computer installed, and hopefully picking up a similar Trek eMTB for my wife ordered last week.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Simon
Welcome to the forum. Think you've bought a lovely bike, just like your car :D

Enjoy

Graham

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hi Robbieg
My 1st real ride was just a mere 20 odd miles but with various altitude changes of nearly 800ft max with several steeps 20% gradients it was so nice not to have to get off & push the really steep sections.

Leaving home with a fully charged battery in the eMTB mode it showed a range of only 33 miles but as this 1st ride progressed whilst the battery emptied the range remaining actually increased as the Bosch system learned my riding characteristics. So arriving home with approx 60% capacity remaining I still had another 29 miles range - very pleased with that especially after recharging the range became 56 in the eMTB mode.
Tomorrow I have having the enhanced "Nyon" Bosch computer installed, and hopefully picking up a similar Trek eMTB for my wife ordered last week.
A great bike = more satisfying rides which = getting out more often which = a feelgood factor +++ the outlay on a quality ebike is money well spent! And you have some great local countryside on your doorstep to enjoy. My wife joined me for a nice ride out today on her Giant ebike, a leisurely 18 or so miles with a coffee and scones stop in the sunshine. Having ebikes allows us both to ride out together at a decent pace and distance and although she does a lot less monthly mileage than me she feels that buying her Giant is a sound investment. Hope your wife enjoys her Trek just as much.

Simon Drake

Aug 10, 2017
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Hi Simon
Welcome to the forum. Think you've bought a lovely bike, just like your car :D
Enjoy
Graham
Many thanks for the introduction to this forum Graham, I never knew it existed until you mentioned it over the the Volvo Owners Forum.
A great find........

Simon Drake

Aug 10, 2017
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
A great bike = more satisfying rides which = getting out more often which = a feelgood factor +++ the outlay on a quality ebike is money well spent! And you have some great local countryside on your doorstep to enjoy. My wife joined me for a nice ride out today on her Giant ebike, a leisurely 18 or so miles with a coffee and scones stop in the sunshine. Having ebikes allows us both to ride out together at a decent pace and distance and although she does a lot less monthly mileage than me she feels that buying her Giant is a sound investment. Hope your wife enjoys her Trek just as much.
Many thanks for the comments.
I think my wife has ideas of a nice South Shropshire pub at Bridges near Rattlinghope as her 1st pit stop when it arrives early next week - just hoping for some sunshine....!!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Many thanks for the comments.
I think my wife has ideas of a nice South Shropshire pub at Bridges near Rattlinghope as her 1st pit stop when it arrives early next week - just hoping for some sunshine....!!
Sounds good! Have visited that very Pub on a few occasions when staying at Bridges yha, when cycling the end to end and a coast to coast Yarmouth to barmouth. The Burway and styperstones is fantastic walking and cycling country , we are lucky to have such great scenery within easy reach of home.

Simon Drake

Aug 10, 2017
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Sounds good! Have visited that very Pub on a few occasions when staying at Bridges yha, when cycling the end to end and a coast to coast Yarmouth to barmouth. The Burway and styperstones is fantastic walking and cycling country , we are lucky to have such great scenery within easy reach of home.
i do not know how old you are, but in my youth back in the late 60's/early 70's that pub was the local of Ronnie Lane who owned a local farm away from preying Mr Plods upon which lots of a certain "smoking" material used to be grown which was in great demand by Ronnie's musician friends in particular names such as Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Ronnie Wood, etc, etc - even a certain Ozzy Osbourne would turn up on occasions if sober enough.
As you go in through the now front door, there was a small stage right down the far end on the left on which there used to be amazing jamming sessions lasting into the early hours of next day.
I used to cycle home at strange times in the morning on my ancient bike - luckily it was only only about 6 miles home and downhill mostly......or so I thought in what ever state I may have found myself.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
i do not know how old you are, but in my youth back in the late 60's/early 70's that pub was the local of Ronnie Lane who owned a local farm away from preying Mr Plods upon which lots of a certain "smoking" material used to be grown which was in great demand by Ronnie's musician friends in particular names such as Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Ronnie Wood, etc, etc - even a certain Ozzy Osbourne would turn up on occasions if sober enough.
As you go in through the now front door, there was a small stage right down the far end on the left on which there used to be amazing jamming sessions lasting into the early hours of next day.
I used to cycle home at strange times in the morning on my ancient bike - luckily it was only only about 6 miles home and downhill mostly......or so I thought in what ever state I may have found myself.
That's fascinating, the pub has some great memories for you. Ime 59 and my first visit to the hostel was in 1996, I remember the lady who managed the hostel was from up in the north east. It was always a good pull up the Burway from Church Stratton but I've only ever passed through on way to other places. Think it would be worth a longer visit.