Greetings from Ibiza

IbizaNick

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
Hi All

As you might guess from my forum name, I'm Nick and I live in Ibiza. I've been here for over 14 years and, although you'll regularly find me on the dance floor, I'm not exactly your stereotypical clubber. For a start, I'm 63.

In February of last year I bought my first electric bike on a bit of a whim. I'd just been paid a lump sum for a load of work. The idea was to get a bike to ride into Ibiza Town which is about a 45 minute walk or a gentle 10 minute cycle, pretty much all flat and most of it smoothly off-road along the side of the port.

I'd gone into Decathlon to see what was on offer and I was seduced by the idea of electric bike. I liked the idea of arriving in town not dripping with sweat in the summer when the temperatures hovering around 30 degrees.

So I ended up as the proud owner of a Btwin folding electric bike. (Sorry I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.) I bought a folder because it's easier to get it into the lift in our apartment block and I can store it safely on our balcony.

Anyway, I'd just started to enjoy using the bike when my world fell apart last April. In 2013 I was treated for advanced oral cancer. I had radical surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. Four years later, after several scans, I was told it had spread to my lungs. Not to put too fine a point on it, this was my death sentence. Any treatment I'd receive would be 'palliative'. The cancer was incurable.

Last May I started a hefty course of chemotherapy. The bike stayed on the balcony. I wasn't allowed to go out in the sun (in an Ibiza summer!) and anyway I was almost too weak to walk to the end of the corridor.

By September I was beginning to feel rather better, having finished the chemo, so I decided to get back on my bike for a gentle ride into town. All went well on the way in, I did a bit of shopping, had a coffee and generally had a pleasant time.

Coming back, I pulled out into the road, just at the same time as a bus. I slammed on by brakes and fell slowly off thinking nothing was damaged but my dignity. The nearby port police thought differently. They could see blood pouring from a head wound and, as the adrenaline wore off, I could feel bits of me getting sore. It turned out that I'd broken my collar bone and torn a muscle in my groin. The head wound was nothing, but, even now, I find it sore to sleep on my left side.

(Incidentally, one of the causes of my accident was probably the way that brakes here are wired the opposite way round to the UK. I thought I was used to that, but obviously ancient muscle memory kicked in.)

Anyway, 2017 was not a good year for me. But it did get better. According to the stats, with my combination of cancers, I should be dead by now. But, either I responded spectacularly well to the chemo, or, possibly, I was misdiagnosed. Either way I have no signs of any tumours, at the moment.

That takes me round to why I joined this forum. I'm back on the folding bike (with the brakes now operating British style!) but feeling slightly frustrated with its lack of battery range and suspension. My aim is to explore the island a bit more on two wheels over the winter when the weather's generally perfect for cycling.

So I'm looking to buy something over the next few weeks. I'll start by renting an Orbea Keram 20 for a two or three days from the island's biggest bike hire shop. I may end up getting something in the same Orbea range as they seem good (although electric bike reviews seem few and far between) and it's useful to buy from a place which knows what it's doing. But I'll post something first in the "Which Electric Bike Should I Buy?" section.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Nick, sorry to learn of your serious misfortunes but pleased that things seem to be taking a turn for the better at last.

It seems you'll soon be able to wear the big smile that e-biking usually brings.

Do let us know what you decide to buy and your impressions of it.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Welcome nick

You have just made me very grateful for everything in life :)

Glad your on the up that’s great news
And good luck with your bike choice and enjoy:)

• Agree
Reactions: falmouthtony

IbizaNick

Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm glad to have found such an active forum. It's still hard to get info on electric bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Orbea is a Spanish producer and the brand is a growing a good rep, esp the Gain series of road bikes. For your location buying in to the brand is probably a good idea esp if choice is scarce.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

IbizaNick

Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
You see a lot of Orbeas here as it's the biggest bike manufacturer in Spain. It tends not to be the cheapest because it designs and makes most of its bikes at its factory up north in the Basque country or in Portugal, although it does have a facility in China. (The company's part of a big worker's co-operative so I do believe it's not just putting a couple of screws into a Chinese kit before putting 'Made in Spain' stickers on it.) As ever, it's hard to find reviews of its electric bikes as there aren't as many on the road, but its certainly a prestigious brand.