Greetings from Inverness

iant30

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2011
Hi to all readers, from the North in lovely Inverness,
My recent discovery of electric bikes suggests that it will be possible to realise various exciting cycling opportunities which due to advancing years and declining fitness seemed unattainable -not to mention cost savings in ordinary getting about town
Having tried the Freego and the Wisper makes on trial runs the quality and performance has been very impressive!
The Cycle2Work scheme is an excellent facility and will certainly mean that these bikes (or similar) are affordable in a relatively painless manner.
Due to my weight (17.5 stones) I am not clear however whether I might get better performance and assistance with a conversion kit (using my Giant mountain bike) rather than from buying one of the complete bikes (Pedelecs is extremely useful in considering the various kits from eg Juicybikes;Alien Ocean and 8Fun etc)
Is there any means of readily ascertaining and comparing their respective output (like torque or bhp in cars)?
If anyone can either assist with this or point me to some other source on the site that would be much appreciated
Thanks to all who freely give their technical input and experience for the benefit of other users
Best regards
Iant30

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum.

If you havent seen it already A to B does have a comprehensive list of conversion kits, but no real performance comparisons, it is however useful to see just what is available and from who, se here Electric Bike Conversion Kits

I resisted to blow the eZee trumpet other than to say they are a high performance high quality kits.

Regards,

iant30

Sep 12, 2011
Hi John
Thanks for the information I saw the comprehensive list of kits on A to B but as you say no comparison of the respective performances I will also have a detailed look at your own products
Many thanks again
Regards
Iant30

C

Cyclezee

Hi again Ian,

It might be useful to create a wish list of the criteria that are important to you.
For example, range, average and top speed, climbing ability, weight, wheel size, suspension, battery capacity, price.

Of course there are variables to factor in, the terrain you will be riding the bike over, your level of input etc.

Regards,

John

iant30

Sep 12, 2011
Hi John
Yes a very good idea to do this
In researching the subject I got R D James' book on Electric Bike Conversions which has a similar helpful series of questions
As there are only 2/3 stockists of electric bikes in my area the principal difficulty for me is trying to evaluate other makes without sufficient detailed comparisons (other than on the items you mention) or an opportunity to have a test ride I suspect I may need to go further south to check out other bikes and keep browsing Pedelecs for further information
Just one further question if I may Do all 250 watt motors operating with a 36 volt battery produce the same power?
Thanks again
Ian

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately, I think you need come south to get some rides on a wider range of bikes, there are a couple of dealers in Edinburgh and Glasgow, there is also Alien in Fife who sell bikes and kits..

Not all 250w motors produce the same power, they vary quite a bit, one of the factors being RPM.
If it is definitely a conversion kit you want, I would recommend the following four. eZee (well I would say that wouldn't I), Heinzmann, BionX, and Suzhou Bafang (AKA 8 Fun).

Best regards,

iant30

Sep 12, 2011
Hi John
Yes I think I will need to go south to check out other bikes
Thanks again for the advice
Best regards
Ian