Greetings from the Cotswolds

Electric Eel

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2018
Hi

Previously to living in the Cotswolds I lived in Milton Keynes, a cyclists heaven with miles and miles of traffic free red ways, linear parks and not far to get into open countryside and virtually no major hills! Its a bit different now, too hilly, and the bike was soon consigned to the shed, that was some 20+ years ago.

Last year I decided it was time to get back into cycling again and dust off the old ProFlex, unfortunately time had taken its toll and the elastomers in the rear suspension had melted and were in a puddle on the shed floor. I found a company in the US which sold replacement elastomers and the suspension was rebuilt plus a new rear cassette, chain, inner tubes and tyres.

So the bike was ready for action again but sadly not the rider, it seemed like a lot more effort than it was 20+ years ago but this is the Cotswolds.

Then on eBay I came across this, being sold by Francis (Electron Cycles), a Carrera Sulcata with a BBSHD mid-drive.

The Sulcata was on offer at Halfords for £260 and Francis was selling BBSHD/Battery kits so I decided to build my own ... as Jezzer would say, 'How hard can it be?'. Well it was suprisingly straight forward, I already had all the tools to remove cranks and the bottom bracket and since it was a new bike it all came apart without a fight. I did have to make a tool for the inner locknut on the motor and buy a tool for the outer locknut plus a spacer was required to stop the secondary gear housing touching the chainstay.

Since building the bike (last November) its covered just over 500 miles on a mixture of road/track/bridle way and its thoroughly enjoyable almost like going permanently downhill!! Longest ride I've done so far is 52 miles which consumed about 70% of the battery but there were some serious hills, I do try and contribute as much effort as possible and keep to PAS 1 on the level or slight gradients...still not needed PAS9 yet!!

Couple of things I've replaced/added:
1) The kit chainwheel with a 42T Lekkie
2) Pedals with SPDs
3) Seat for a comfy/springy one
4) Battery connector with an XT90 and shortened the excessively long battery cable.
5) 203mm front disc. The original was 160mm and couldn't cope with 125Kg of bike and rider.
6) Motor brace (from Luna Cycles in the US) to add some additional support to the motor...more off-roading planned!

Happy eBiking
Tim

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Glad your enjoying your ebike experience:)