Greetings from up north

Nathan74

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hi all,

I posted recently in another part of the forum but hadn't officially introduced myself here.

I've owned an ebike and been registered to Pedelecs for nearly a year. I got the ebike (freego eagle 15.6ah - marketed as 17ah, perhaps the 1.4ah difference is the low power cut-off point) last October in between heart ops (AF), but started riding consistently a couple of months ago after the 2nd op. I'm using the ebike to commute (avoid traffic jams, get fit, spend less time at traffic lights and petrol stations) and tour at the weekends.

The frame and motor are pretty decent quality, they're built like a tank. The forks are the worst I've known (I've had at least 4 front-sus mtb's over the years). They add a load of weight and contribute effectively nothing to the ride (other than acoustics of alarming clangs and/or bangs whenever they're required to react to anything approaching a pot hole, broken surface, or even a low curb edge). I'd prefer simple light steel forks tbh. The frame is a couple of inches oversized for my height but it seemed at the time of buying that 17in is the standard for ebike frames. I've compensated with a different seat post, short reach mtb stem and butterfly handlbars. I'll probably stick with the bike for many years (to get sufficient value out of the purchase), but I also toy with the idea of building a fat bike with much more oomph (obviously for use on someones private land with some owners permission...), but I doubt it would look stealthy enough, which is crucial in our nanny state.

Take care folks,

Nathan