Greetings

Solrighal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
Hi all, new here. I don't actually own my own e-bike but a couple of weeks ago my boss asked me to use & maintain his one while he's out of the country, on the proviso that I keep it healthy and make sure it's available to him when he is here. It's my first experience of e-bikes and it's also my first experience of full-suspension. I'm blown away.

I've had bikes all my life so I'm no stranger to life on a saddle but this bike has transformed my lifestyle. My commute to work on my own Cube Hyde Pro takes around 25 minutes on the dedicated cycle path that takes me pretty much from my front door to that of my work. On the E-bike I just continue uphill through the town and join the canal towpath that takes me all the way to the back gate of my workplace. 17 minutes for 1km further. And so much more fun. I had the bike for 10 days there and my first day cycling to work on the Cube was like pedalling through treacle.

So now I have the bike for another 23-day spell & I'm plotting more trecks. For me that's the real joy of e-bikes. The ability to take a chance on a track that you don't know where it leads but in the knowledge that if it doesn't work out turning around isn't a disaster. And there's loads of tracks around here. Far more than I knew of before I started on this e-bike.

Downsides I've noticed? There are a couple. Despite being a very hi-tech bike it's also very heavy. The battery & motor don't help but it's fundamentally the full-suspension geometry and the knobliest tyres I've ever ridden on. 27kmh is like hitting a brick wall. In fact on tarmac, with a neutral wind, I'm quicker on the Hyde Pro. On anything other than tarmac the Giant just eats it. The only other slight issue I have with it is the power delivery. On the canal path I commute on there's a couple of bridges where the only way across is via a maybe 80cm wide stone path which has an iron fence on one side & a drop into water on the other. It requires a hop up onto from the earth and if I have it in *Power* mode it can result in a bot too much power & consequent understeer. I think that could be a peculiarity of the Yamaha motor.

Oh, one other thing - there's two chainwheels & I have no idea why. If it were my bike one of them ( and the consequent derailleur & levers) would be gone.

I'm going to be buying my own pedelec eventually though. I've went from generally considering electric bike to be for cheats to fully embracing them. On that first day I couldn't get the smile off my face. I felt like I was 12 again.

Anyway, if I can be of any assistance to anyone I'd be happy to help. Ta for listening.

Sol.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Sol :)

Are you a robot?

If I were Skynet, and I was wanting assimilation, and acceptance, to the masses (of carbon based lifeforms), I'd put your post as pretty much textbook.

Apologies if you're not. Consider me an antiquated relic of times gone by.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: Blew it

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh, one other thing - there's two chainwheels & I have no idea why. If it were my bike one of them ( and the consequent derailleur & levers) would be gone.
Ever been to the Alps or the Pyrenees? I visited an appartement building this week, nice place except for the 300 meter long 17% access road. That is why you need two chainwheels.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ditto for West Wales. You'd be putting a lot of strain through the chain without the smaller ring.
Main thing is, you've been bitten by the e-bike grin bug, and it's affects never quite wear off.:D

Solrighal

Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
Ever been to the Alps or the Pyrenees? I visited an appartement building this week, nice place except for the 300 meter long 17% access road. That is why you need two chainwheels.
I've not been in the Alps or the Pyrenees but there are some incredibly steep gravel roads around here & I can tackle all of them in either chainring. I'm going to tackle Mont Ventoux next month though so we'll see how that goes.

Still interesting to note that all this bikes apparent competitors largely make do with just the one chainring up front.

Solrighal

Feb 2, 2018
Provence, France
Ditto for West Wales. You'd be putting a lot of strain through the chain without the smaller ring.
Main thing is, you've been bitten by the e-bike grin bug, and it's affects never quite wear off.:D
You know, I'm sitting here looking at glorious (if cold) blue skies and wanting to get out but the wind is howlin'. I can't see myself going much further than the boulangerie. And the pub. I love this bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I've not been in the Alps or the Pyrenees but there are some incredibly steep gravel roads around here & I can tackle all of them in either chainring. I'm going to tackle Mont Ventoux next month though so we'll see how that goes.

Still interesting to note that all this bikes apparent competitors largely make do with just the one chainring up front.
Yes they do, but different motor design.

You don't want to stall a mid-drive motor. Ever. I put a second chainring on my GSM because I found a road where I could stall the motor less than 10 km from home (>17%) . You can also use much less battery on the small chainring by being in a lower assistance level so you can go farther. I can ride up my test hill (13%) seated at 10-12 km/h in assistance level 4 of 5 for example.

It has it's uses, trust me.