Grinding noise from 905 motor.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi
I've had a a grinding noise coming from the motor of my 905se for a while now and I'm looking for a bit of advice about it. To be fair, the noise is not new. It has been going on for quite while, without seeming to turn in to anything nasty, but I feel I really ought to check and see that nothing serious is up.
The noise is not there all the time, it is only evident when the motor is under significant load, eg.when climbing a relatively steep hill and it seems to become much more noticeable as the battery power level drops. I think I may have heard somewhere that it might have something to do with the 'firing' of the Hall phases in the motor under heavy load (in which case nothing too much to worry about), but any insight would be welcomed.

Phil

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi
I've had a a grinding noise coming from the motor of my 905se for a while now and I'm looking for a bit of advice about it. To be fair, the noise is not new. It has been going on for quite while, without seeming to turn in to anything nasty, but I feel I really ought to check and see that nothing serious is up.
The noise is not there all the time, it is only evident when the motor is under significant load, eg.when climbing a relatively steep hill and it seems to become much more noticeable as the battery power level drops. I think I may have heard somewhere that it might have something to do with the 'firing' of the Hall phases in the motor under heavy load (in which case nothing too much to worry about), but any insight would be welcomed.

Phil
Hi Phil

Mine's quite a bit noisier under the conditions you describe, but I never felt bothered by it. Definitely to do with a part-discharged battery and a steep climb. As it's obviously more electrical than mechanical I don't expect it's something to be concerned about. Might be worth asking the guys at Wisper if you're not completely happy though. I expect the controller is operating the motor phases at maximum dwell (i.e. for as wide an angle as possible) and power to compensate for the drop in battery voltage.

Rog.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Noise

Hi Phil, it may be a internal radial gear problem, if so we can change the gears for you or sent them to you for changing under warranty.

Please would you send a video with sound to me and I will get Norman to have a listen.

miall@aol.com

All the best

David

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi Phil, it may be a internal radial gear problem, if so we can change the gears for you or sent them to you for changing under warranty.

Please would you send a video with sound to me and I will get Norman to have a listen.

miall@aol.com

All the best

David
Thanks David, but I'm not sure how to do that since I can only reproduce the sound when riding, as described and I think I will have trouble getting anyone to run (or ride) alongside with a VC, whilst I'm pedaling up a steep hill. I'll ask around and try it if possible. I'll be in touch again in a few days if I manage to arrange it.

Cheers, Phil.

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
... and I think I will have trouble getting anyone to run (or ride) alongside with a VC, whilst I'm pedaling ...
The noise from the motor on my 905ECO gets louder when headed up hill at low speed. I was told by TETS that it normal. Usually I can't hear it, due to the traffic noise.

Have you considered having a fixed camera and cycling past it to get a recording? You'll need to find somewhere quiet and steep.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Noise

Hi Watkin

The noise will get louder on an incline as the motor is working harder, it may be nothing at all but the fact that Phil has recently heard it for the first time is the reason for my concern.

Best regards David

Kabadi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2009
I have a similar problem. Are the above contact details still good?

Kabadi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2009
David, yes that was me. I took a chance and sent it to the email address in an earlier post. It wasn't current but I got the auto reply with the correct email. Thanks

Advertisers