Grinding sound from hub and error message

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Suprisingly, it sounds like a bad connection. Check all connections to the motor, both phase wires and sensor wires. The plugs must be fully home.

PlantBasedPower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2018
I will check thank you. How would a loose connection make such a horrific grinding noise? I can literally feel the grinding through the entire bike. Feels like it is destroying itself or at the very least scraping metal against metal. Thanks for the reply.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Electrical bad contact sounds like a mechanical fault.
Despite the wind noise there is a contact issue somewhere, it will be wiring or a controller issue.

Riding with the issue will most likely lead to damage so best not too and fault find the issue.
Also separate and refit the motor wire connector along the rear stay to ensure all is well.
Error 24 I believe is hall error code for hubs, for bad contact gently crimp all connections to ensure a good contact. If halls are in a white block tug each wire to ensure it isn't broken or backing out of the block.
Use a multi meter to test for hall failure, they are repairable by replacement.
http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Phase wire bullets can get very hot and the insulation melts or becomes brittle so check they aren't shorting.

For broken/intermittent wire fault then a tedious wire continuation checks have to be carried out.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I will check thank you. How would a loose connection make such a horrific grinding noise? I can literally feel the grinding through the entire bike. Feels like it is destroying itself or at the very least scraping metal against metal. Thanks for the reply.
Loose connection causes intermittent shorting contact at the connector, the noise is the electrical current jumping and is the controller not being able to function 100%. it sounds like mechanical grinding but isn't, the noise resonates via the bike frame and appears to be a motor issue.
Continual bike use will lead to controller or hub damage.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I had this. It was water in the hall plug. Blew it out, good as new. Drove me nuts till I figured it out.

PlantBasedPower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2018
Thank you for all of the replies, I have checked all of the wiring but can not find any problems. I have not taken the bike out in the rain or gone through puddles yet so no sign of water anywhere. I have only had the bike for just over a month so I guess the shop I bought it from will just have to figure it out as I am stumped. They had to replace the motor due to the speedometer not working properly so I guess they replaced it with a faulty hall sensor motor now instead? Not the best experience of electric bikes so far.

Advertisers