Hai bike

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Managed to find a Hai hardseven after along time looking. I went for a ride today loved the bike shame about the 15.5 mph thing.I found out on the rd at the start of the ride feeling fresh soon ran of gears but when i got to some rough the bike came into its own it really was remarkable ..On the way home feeling a little tired but pleased to make 15 mph on the rd head wind.Plenty of battery life left when i got home.All in all impressed with the bike.

Reactions: LeighPing

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
I've just bought one and apart from a few problems from the dealer its a great bike. Shame they are restricted, especially as I, like lots of people, have the licence to ride an unrestricted one.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can remove the limit with a dongle but more speed means less miles.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Might consider a dongle but will leave it for a bit..Im considering having alittle pootle round the block later try some new lights out.Also would like to get some slime in the tubes is it best to buy some so tubes or is there a way to slime through presta valves.

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Might consider a dongle but will leave it for a bit..Im considering having alittle pootle round the block later try some new lights out.Also would like to get some slime in the tubes is it best to buy some so tubes or is there a way to slime through presta valves.
IMO slime in tubes is horrid carry some patches with you and save a lot of mess

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go tubeless if you have the right tyres that are tl ready on the side.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've just bought one and apart from a few problems from the dealer its a great bike. Shame they are restricted, especially as I, like lots of people, have the licence to ride an unrestricted one.
Have a read at this section of the forum before you get too excited
http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/pages/electric-bike-law-uk/
A lot of folk do go illegal but it's best to know the facts then make your own decision.:)
Hope you get your bike sorted re your other thread.
Dave.

Reactions: Alan Quay and tisme

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Yep I do need to look into more re registration tax etc, a bit of a pain to get an electric bike go as fast as a pedal road bike. Not sure why the powers to be picked 15.5mph

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is no way to register a s class bike what it would be classed as under the law with a dongle fitted.

it would also cost a fortune anyway so just not worth it when plod dont care in the first place.

Reactions: tisme

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yep I do need to look into more re registration tax etc, a bit of a pain to get an electric bike go as fast as a pedal road bike. Not sure why the powers to be picked 15.5mph
Its not pracrically possible to register it, so you also cannot insure or tax it.

The chances of being caught are pretty low, but it's important to understand your position.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
I've read somewhere on the Internet (so it must be true) "This would leave only Speed Pedelecs (e-bikes that surpass this 15.5 mph maximum cut off limit) requiring the registration, tax, insurance and a motorcycle helmet - and registration alone will require evidence of conformity to a moped class of vehicle, either provided by the manufacturer or completed by the DVSA at one of its approved test stations during a single vehicle approval test. Which kind of takes the fun out of riding a bicycle. However - that's the Law as it stands."
I have seen electric motorcycles that have been registered so I expect it's the same. Saying that I see that some dongles have a switch from 25 or 50 mph so as long as you had it on 25 on public places you'd be fine

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Under EU law coming into force in January 2017 and governing type approval, speed pedelecs across Europe will be classified as L1e-b, a ‘moped’ requiring class type approval, registration, number plate and insurance. With regard throttles, technically, there isn’t currently a category allowing an ‘open throttle’ on speed pedelecs

• Informative
Reactions: tisme

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
To quote the Electric Mountain Bike (eMTBs) forum section topic and description heading.

"Electric Mountain Bikes (eMTBs)
For discussing the use of electric mountain bikes, off-road, cycle trails etc. Please note: this is for the discussion of road-legal bikes only."

We have this section for all other discussion. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/speed-pedelecs-s-pedelecs-non-eapcs-overseas.43/

"Speed Pedelecs (S-Pedelecs), Non-EAPCs & overseas
Discussions concerning speed pedelecs, motor propulsion beyond 15mph or maximum power outputs above 250w, or e-bikes being used in other countries."

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Have gone with slime tubes at least for now.Have had slime in my old c,butler for a very long time and been pleased with the results.As for the dongle will get one eventually. Probably not to far in the distant future.

• Agree
Reactions: tisme and LeighPing

Related Articles

Advertisers