Haibike 2015 SDuro rc Or 2016 sl

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
were looking at getting a second bike for my wife and have 2 options available; either a 2016 SDuro Hardseven SL with 1600 miles, or an 2015 RC with only 300 miles.

The 2015 model is around £300 more, and has been unrestricted by relocating the speed sensor, so presumably avoiding any warranty.

The RC does appear to have better components, but weee there other advances with the 2016 technology? Should I avoid a bike where the warranty may be void?

Anything else to consider?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
The warranties are only available to the original purchaser so don't let that be a deciding factor.

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
Are you sure? According to the website the statutory warranty is for 2 years on the entire bike. However, it does say that the additional frame warranty of 5 years is only available to the original purchaser.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
warranty is non transferable from the original purchaser not even the frame.

if you buy it then it will have no warranty.

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
I'm surprised if Haibike can extinguish all statutory liability on a 6 month old bike, regardless of change of ownership.

But I will bow to superior knowledge.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bought my bike off ebay and when a bolt fell off i never even got a reply for a new one for free they will not deal with the public only threw dealers that sold the bike.

sram are the same as any warranty must go through the dealer to get resolved.

tho i did brake my xd hub on my bike and sorted it out with crank brothers direct and got it replaced.

each part will have warranty it is just if they will deal with the request or not.

parts wise the frame motor battery electric side of it will have no warranty.

wear parts are also not covered chain cassette brake pads ect.

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
This does seem very harsh. I have no experience of bikes, just ass Mrs it was the same as a car and that the manufacturers warranty was good until the end of the period, regardless of ownership.

Lots of adverts refer to remainder of warranty. I guess we have a get out clause if we change our mind.

Maybe we should look to buy a new cheaper bike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
unless the shop states in the tc of sale that it is transferable then most likely it wont be.

most sellers also dont realise this so id recommend you ask for more off the bike in case anything goes wrong with it.

a new motor is £650 and a new 500w batt is £700 tho you would be very unlucky to get a problem with them tbh but it is a risk non the less.

• Agree
Reactions: falmouthtony

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
In case of 2015 with speed sensor modifications, its mileage will be considerably higher. This modification will give indicated speed of 10km/hr (pedal cadence) regardless of bike speed. I would assume x3-4 higher mileage.

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
I was wondering how it would affect the recorded mileage.

Both bikes are being sold privately.

They both look to be in very good condition. The 2016 SL was used for commuting, so may have ridden in the wet. But it has just been serviced, including a new chain.

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
I'm surprised if Haibike can extinguish all statutory liability on a 6 month old bike, regardless of change of ownership.

But I will bow to superior knowledge.
You seem to be mixing up statutory rights and manufacturer's warranty.

Your statutory rights are with/against whoever sells the thing to you - assuming the seller is a trader.

A manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and as such can have conditions, like for example, "this warranty cannot be transferred to a second owner", but it cannot extinguish any statutory liability.
In fact, no manufacturer has to even offer a warranty, but that might be a foolish business practice.

You have a statutory right to seek a remedy from the seller for up to six years from the date of the sale - as long as the seller is a trader.

Ah... I've just noticed that both sellers are private individuals.
The only statutory right in these circumstances is that the seller must not mis-describe the goods.

Last edited: