Haibike or Riese and Muller?

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Hi I wish to purchase a new Ebike of quality, and have narrowed down to the above brands. My main concern is that Stroud where I live is very hilly.

As such, I have visited the Ebike shop locally and will test a Haibike trekking but am aware that Riese and Muller do have a charger which looks good.
Accept 3k is a lot of money to pay, but if I get it right hopefully will not be disappointed as this would be a long term investment.

I sometimes ride with a fast group which includes light non powered bikes, ridden by some fit people. Speed and hill climbing are important factors.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have both, the R&M is for me the better bike..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi I wish to purchase a new Ebike of quality, and have narrowed down to the above brands. My main concern is that Stroud where I live is very hilly.

As such, I have visited the Ebike shop locally and will test a Haibike trekking but am aware that Riese and Muller do have a charger which looks good.
Accept 3k is a lot of money to pay, but if I get it right hopefully will not be disappointed as this would be a long term investment.

I sometimes ride with a fast group which includes light non powered bikes, ridden by some fit people. Speed and hill climbing are important factors.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
R&M are excellent quality, but bike style and spec, rather than brand, is more important.

There's nothing wrong with a Haibike, I would happily run one if it was the spec I wanted.

Both brands will have the UK legal Bosch motor, so you won't be keeping up with the fast roadies unless you de-restrict whichever bike you buy.

R&M is the only brand to offer a Rohloff gear hub, which has advantages.

If you want a derailer bike, there isn't a lot to chose between the two brands.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
R&M are excellent quality, but bike style and spec, rather than brand, is more important.

There's nothing wrong with a Haibike, I would happily run one if it was the spec I wanted.

Both brands will have the UK legal Bosch motor, so you won't be keeping up with the fast roadies unless you de-restrict whichever bike you buy.

R&M is the only brand to offer a Rohloff gear hub, which has advantages.

If you want a derailer bike, there isn't a lot to chose between the two brands.
Problem with redistricting is limited range and more importantly warrantee will be void.
I will be buying in 6 weeks or so, there is time to research a bit more.
R&M seem to be top of the heap re quality from what I have read.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Problem with redistricting is limited range and more importantly warrantee will be void.
I will be buying in 6 weeks or so, there is time to research a bit more.
R&M seem to be top of the heap re quality from what I have read.
ebike shop fit dongles and honer the warranty tho no one else will do this!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
As they are not the same type of bike they cannot be a compared directly.

The Delite although having full suspension is a trekking bike, the Haibike is a downhill mountain bike.

But in my opinion the Delite has more going for it, better attention to detail and engineering.

I will never part with the Delite, the Haibike could go, I doubt I'd miss it much.

I can only advice you to test ride the ones in your interest.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
As they are not the same type of bike they cannot be a compared directly.

The Delite although having full suspension is a trekking bike, the Haibike is a downhill mountain bike.

But in my opinion the Delite has more going for it, better attention to detail and engineering.

I will never part with the Delite, the Haibike could go, I doubt I'd miss it much.

I can only advice you to test ride the ones in your interest.
The type of bike I am looking for is a good road bike able to cope with light trail ( canal towpath ) as well.
Sorry wasn't aware your Haibike was the downhill model.
Haibike trekking is 3k from the Stroud dealer, the R&M is the charger model about 2800k.
Hill climbing and speed with reasonable range is the main criteria.
At these prices wary about making a mistake choosing the best model fit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i have the same bike ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0652_01.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
never had a go on a yamaha bike but id prob still go for a bosch motor as has gear shifting sensing so more easy on the drive chain.

i over too k one tho ;)

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
never had a go on a yamaha bike but id prob still go for a bosch motor as has gear shifting sensing so more easy on the drive chain.

i over too k one tho ;)
Good one. Which area is this looks nice. Did you dongle this bike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its the canal glos to sharpness and yes bad ass dongle fitted since 2014 no problems as the motors are meant to run at that speed anyway. ;)
robinswood hill.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
its the canal glos to sharpness and yes bad ass dongle fitted since 2014 no problems as the motors are meant to run at that speed anyway. ;)
robinswood hill.
We cycle the same area. You have visited Ebike in Stroud? That's where I looked at the Haibike trekking. He has offered me a test run for an outing with my local group so will try.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bought my 500w batt from them and a purion display but i service my own bike and never had a motor problem but said i can take it over and get a free update anytime software wise.

they did have a nduro for sale last time think it was jacobs but i guess have sold it buy now.

shop was not there when i got my bike and was of ebay.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
i bought my 500w batt from them and a purion display but i service my own bike and never had a motor problem but said i can take it over and get a free update anytime software wise.

they did have a nduro for sale last time think it was jacobs but i guess have sold it buy now.

shop was not there when i got my bike and was of ebay.
Jacob is very helpful but bikes are top retail price.
However he stopped doing the Stromer as nobody registered these as mopeds which with these 500 watt motors you have to apparently.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as far as i know atm there is no way to register them anyway and the police are not interested.

if anyone was going to get arrested it would be me lol.