Haibike sDuro Hard Seven or Trekking

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if people ride their bikes as many miles as they drive cars, then the bike business will be like the car business.

Reactions: Scott clarke

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
So I take if the bike business is not like the car business then. You buy a car from a dealer if say if your gearbox fails you take it back to either the dealer you bought it from or another one who deals with same manufacturer if it's still under warranty. the dealer replaces or repairs gearbox and the dealer gets paid for their labour and parts by manufacturer.
I have never been paid for Labour charges resulting from warranty work by any supplier. I know there are other shops lurking on this thread and if I am in error, please correct me.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
This deal appears to good to be true.

Opinions please.
mmm

ebay seller lists an address in the South (which is an elderly person's sheltered housing address) but says cash on collection at an address in the Midlands.

Only allows collection thereby buyers are not protected by distance selling regulations.

Only takes cash so buyers are not protected with PayPal.

Only allows returns within 3 days in contravention of ebay rules (14 days).

Sells bikes with the brakes the wrong way around in contravention of UK regulations.

States bike comes with manufacturer's warranty BUT consumer rights in the UK are always with the dealer, not with the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldn't buy from them even if I saved a few quid. I prefer to buy from a proper UK dealer safe in the knowledge that they will be around to address any issues.

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
If someone from France on holiday were to come in, of course we would do what we could. Having said that, if they required parts we did not have then I doubt they would wait. If we did have parts we could exchange with Raleigh, we would still charge labour. Look at it this way, if we repaired Mr eBay's bike we would be using valuable shop time. Time that we realized no profit from in the first place. Would you or your place of work work for nothing? What kind of shape would a bike shop be in if they spent their time fixing eBay bikes?
So what I'm hearing here is that you guys, Emo Rider and Martin @ebike shop (I'm including you as you supported Emo Riders post) basically only support customers that buy from you. So presumably you don't, as dealers, comply with the terms of your manufacturers warranty program. I'm not talking about buying from eBay where the bike would or could be deemed second hand - I'm talking about buying from a genuine manufacturers appointed dealer (even though it may be through eBay).

Is this common in the biking world where a dealer won't honour a warranty claim if the bike wasn't purchased from them? I'm amazed at that. I guess I won't ever by buying from either of you guys.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
So presumably you don't, as dealers, comply with the terms of your manufacturers warranty program
Think you need to supply a link to the manufacturer's warranty program where it shows a term saying that they have to do this ..........

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
This is the trader I've been speaking to and I have to say he has been up front on every question and he gets back to you promptly. He doesn't deny he is importing them - and in the case of the Trekking the savings are substantial like £700. That said he isn't the only one on Ebay with this guy selling direct from Germany.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111652786306?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=410664408728&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Over the years I have bought several items direct from Europe, Germany in particular and had no problems whatsoever. In fact some have been delivered quicker than UK sellers. In short if you pay through PayPal you have protection against non delivery if you use the pay after delivery option and if you are saving up to £700 then - well that's each individuals decision. It does disappoint me though when UK dealers appear to be creaming in on both dealer margins AND exchange rates. These guys are still selling at full retail but leaving any currency exchange benefits to the buyer.

More of a worry for me is the drive - Yamaha or Bosch - it seems that every manufacturer is switching (or choosing) Bosch and wonder if that will be a problem down the line regarding spares etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is the better option for both power and ease of maintenance?
In the first paragraph you say the dealer admits the bikes are from Europe, probably from Haibike direct. Haibike in the uk is sold through Raleigh and their dealers, he is not one of them. All the Xduros, Sduros and Bosch powered Ralieghs are distributed by Raleigh unless there is a independent Haibike dealer somewhere. Why would Raleigh be under any obligation to honour the warranty? I would want this particular warranty in writing from Raleigh before I would take the word of a cut price Ebay seller.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Help me out here, where in that does it say that Emo Rider has a responsibility to repair an ebay (or any other) seller's sale?

First term says this:-
I. Area of Application
  1. The following terms of sale apply to all contracts concluded between the buyer and ourselves for the supply of goods
& an ebay buyer doesn't have a contract with Haibike, they have a contract with the ebay seller. Similarly if you buy a bike from Emo Rider, your contract is with Emo Rider, not Haibike.

Last edited:

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
So what I'm hearing here is that you guys, Emo Rider and Martin @ebike shop (I'm including you as you supported Emo Riders post) basically only support customers that buy from you. So presumably you don't, as dealers, comply with the terms of your manufacturers warranty program. I'm not talking about buying from eBay where the bike would or could be deemed second hand - I'm talking about buying from a genuine manufacturers appointed dealer (even though it may be through eBay).

Is this common in the biking world where a dealer won't honour a warranty claim if the bike wasn't purchased from them? I'm amazed at that. I guess I won't ever by buying from either of you guys.
This is a non issue as most people take their bike to the approved dealer they purchased it from . Any bike shop would be well within their rights to first suggest dealing with the supplier for warranty issues. We routinely get bikes we do not sell, purchased from ebay and still under warranty, and charge for the repairs. As I stated before, if it were a UK purchased Haibike we would repair it. We would be able to get credit for the parts and charge the customer for the labour. He could then go to his dealer with the reciept for a refund, if the selling dealer would be in agreement. This would all have to be arranged between the customer, the shop doing the repairs and the original seller. Under these conditions we would honour the warranty of a Haibike supplied by a Raleigh Dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vennwood

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
In the first paragraph you say the dealer admits the bikes are from Europe, probably from Haibike direct. Haibike in the uk is sold through Raleigh and their dealers, he is not one of them. All the Xduros, Sduros and Bosch powered Ralieghs are distributed by Raleigh unless there is a independent Haibike dealer somewhere. Why would Raleigh be under any obligation to honour the warranty? I would want this particular warranty in writing from Raleigh before I would take the word of a cut price Ebay seller.
Help me out here, where in that does it say that Emo Rider has a responsibility to repair an ebay seller's sale?

First term says this:-
I. Area of Application
  1. The following terms of sale apply to all contracts concluded between the buyer and ourselves for the supply of goods
& an ebay buyer doesn't have a contract with Haibike, they have a contract with the ebay seller.
We seem to be getting off point here - My query is not about buying from anyone selling on ebay and I understand that the original mention of this referred to a seller that isn't a Haibike dealer but buying from an authorised dealer of any make of bike that has a dealership say in Inverness or Paris that may or may not sell on ebay. The customer then breaks down in London or Birmingham and takes his or her bike into the nearest authorised dealer of the same make and would this warranty be honoured?

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
This is a non issue as most people take their bike to the approved dealer they purchased it from . Any bike shop would be well within their rights to first suggest dealing with the supplier for warranty issues. We routinely get bikes we do not sell, purchased from ebay and still under warranty, and charge for the repairs. As I stated before, if it were a UK purchased Haibike we would repair it. We would be able to get credit for the parts and charge the customer for the labour. He could then go to his dealer with the reciept for a refund, if the selling dealer would be in agreement. This would all have to be arranged between the customer, the shop doing the repairs and the original seller. Under these conditions we would honour the warranty of a Haibike supplied by a Raleigh Dealer.
We are getting there - this is what I wanted to hear. Now finally what if I bought from a UK dealer but broke down in say France - would the same thing apply?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Repeating myself now.

Think you need to supply a link to the manufacturer's warranty program where it shows a term saying that they have to do this ..........

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
We are getting there - this is what I wanted to hear. Now finally what if I bought from a UK dealer but broke down in say France - would the same thing apply?
That is a question to ask Raleigh and the shop in Paris if and when it happens.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Just found this on the Which web site:-

Using guarantees and warranties
Many products, such as electrical goods, are sold with a manufacturer's guarantee (or warranty), often for a year.

Guarantees are a contract between you and the manufacturer and the manufacturer must do whatever they say they will do in the guarantee.

Usually this will be to repair or replace a faulty item. Retailers will sometimes contact the manufacturer on your behalf, but they are not obliged to do so.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I used to work for a family owned Renault car dealer.

From what I could see, all service customers were given a fair crack of the whip, regardless of where they bought the car.

But differences did arise if a service was not straightforward.

If we couldn't get a part for a car we supplied, we were much more inclined to cannibalise one from a new car or hack across town to get the bit somewhere else.

The customer who bought his car elsewhere was told the part was on order from Renault - quite proper, be we wouldn't go the 'extra mile'.

"Can you fit my car in before I go on holiday?"

The answer was far more likely to be 'yes' if the car was bought from ourselves.

Our customers were first in the queue for loan vehicles, and we were much more inclined to deliver one of 'ours' back to the customer and pop the keys through the letterbox.

Or give one of our customers a lift home when he dropped the car off for service - the list goes on.

Clearly, lots of customers who bought their cars elsewhere did not have a need for any of those extras, so they 'won' - got their car cheaper and got it serviced and warranty work done without delay.

But plenty did not, although they probably never realised.

Reactions: Vennwood

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
Well said RobF - that is exactly how we dealt with customer warranty claims. a warranty claim is a warranty claim but I guess most folk would accept that if you turn up out of the blue with a broken down car you didn't buy from the dealer you don't automatically get pushed to the front of the queue - you accept that their own customers get sorted out first but at the end of the day you do sort them out even if they have to get agreement from the supplying dealer that they will authorise and pay for the repair. We never told anyone to hop it just because they didn't buy from us.

I haven't bought my bike yet but I'm learning a lot on here

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just found this on the Which web site:-

Using guarantees and warranties
Many products, such as electrical goods, are sold with a manufacturer's guarantee (or warranty), often for a year.

Guarantees are a contract between you and the manufacturer and the manufacturer must do whatever they say they will do in the guarantee.

Usually this will be to repair or replace a faulty item. Retailers will sometimes contact the manufacturer on your behalf, but they are not obliged to do so.
There's a point to be made about the difference between the sale contract and the warranty contract.

The sale contract is with the retailer, under that the goods must be of merchantable quality etc, so there is an implied warranty.

A manufacturer's specific warranty - where one exists - is between you and the manufacturer.

I suppose often the two things conflate, particularly if the item breaks soon after purchase.

The bike retailer is going to encourage you to use the manufacturer warranty, not least because the retailer then doesn't have to pay for the part, although he may have to pay for the labour to fit it.

I think most bike retailers take the labour on the chin, it usually doesn't take long to replace a single component on a bike.

Where I have heard of arguments is when the labour is significant.

A frame replacement means swapping all the components across to the new frame.

The manufacturer supplies the frame but won't pay the labour, so the bike shop may charge the customer.

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
There's a point to be made about the difference between the sale contract and the warranty contract.

The sale contract is with the retailer, under that the goods must be of merchantable quality etc, so there is an implied warranty.

A manufacturer's specific warranty - where one exists - is between you and the manufacturer.

I suppose often the two things conflate, particularly if the item breaks soon after purchase.

The bike retailer is going to encourage you to use the manufacturer warranty, not least because the retailer then doesn't have to pay for the part, although he may have to pay for the labour to fit it.

I think most bike retailers take the labour on the chin, it usually doesn't take long to replace a single component on a bike.

Where I have heard of arguments is when the labour is significant.

A frame replacement means swapping all the components across to the new frame.

The manufacturer supplies the frame but won't pay the labour, so the bike shop may charge the customer.
RobF,

Is this common then for manufacturers not to pay for labour?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF,

Is this common then for manufacturers not to pay for labour?
In the bike trade, yes, as far as I can gather.

Emo Rider - who is in the trade - confirmed as much earlier in the thread.

I think your Paris question is a good one, but hard to answer.

As a customer, it is quite reasonable for you to buy your bike from your local authorised dealer in the UK and then use it abroad.

As Emo said, I think all you can do is ask the dealer in the relatively unlikely event you will need urgent warranty work a long way from home.

As with all things, an amenable attitude would go a long way.

I think I would volunteer - or at least be prepared - to pay the Paris shop's labour in the hope that I might get it back from the supplying dealer.

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
As I have spent the last few months looking into many e-bikes and even motor scooters I can say that warranty is always been a sticking point. Most affordable E-bikes are made in China as are most affordable motor scooters. Peugeot scooters are made in the same factory ( or several factories) as pulse. Peugeot offer two years warranty on the V-clic the pulse scout is the exact same model with one year warranty but most dealers will up that warranty to 2-3 years but all your services must be done at their garage. If you take it to another bike garage even if they sell the same brand they will charge you labour and most will charge you parts too. In my opinion a warranty is only as good as the dealers you buy from. I have found on this forum that most E-bike dealers work on word of mouth and that is most important for their business. Most (I would think all ) would give you help and parts if you need them even if your bike was out of warranty they would still do their best to help. Hence the reason they are still around and still on this forum. The biggest problem I think is lack of dealer network like you get in the car business. There are just not enough dealers buying from a large single source to be able to offer a floating warranty. What I mean by that is if I had my own bike shop and then expanded and had two bike shops then of course if I sold a bike in one shop I would honour the warranty in the other shop as I own both shops BUT I wouldn't honour a manufacturer warranty in my shop if that bike was purchased in someone else's shop I would be losing money on every bike i fixed in that case it would be financial suicide I think. This is of course is only my opinion and im speaking from a very narrow viewpoint as a customer not as a business. But I think a good relationship with the dealer is the important thing to consider. Ebay sellers are here today and gone with your money tomorrow. I would never buy an expensive item like a E-bike or motors or kits etc from an ebayer not unless I have money to lose. Save £300 to lose £1200 makes no sense to me.