Hain and cassette life

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I've got a 11speed slx cassette and derailleur on my Bosch cx powered KTM. The first chain lasted to 500 miles until it measured .75.
The second chain (kmc e11) lasted till about 850 miles. I have now replaced the chain but it would appear the front chain ring and the cassette are worn out as the new chain skips constantly and also feels like it's catching on the chainring. I have ordered new slx bits for now but I'm wondering if for next time I could convert it to 8 speed for a fatter chain and sprockets? I rarely use all 11 gears. Is the hub cassette carrier a standard width? I have a boost front wheel but I don't know if the rear hub is over size.
Would this be a worthwhile exercise?

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I don't have an answer but I got 1300 miles out of my first chain on a CX, it looks like the front chain ring has had it as I'm getting lots of chain suck with the new chain. This is with a 9 speed cassette.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am not so sure about having lesser gears. When on the flat and riding at or just above the cutoff I have a choice of two gears that i can ride in comfortably, one just gives a higher cadence than the other which is fine as with the 11 speed the difference is small and I think this may be a problem for me if the ratio differences were bigger.
With regards to chain wear, its down to how and where you ride,.. My Bosch CX powered Scott is still on the original front ring and cassett after 1900 miles and have been through 3 chains but I dont ride in a lot of muck and having just had a service I am sure they would have offered me a new drive train if it was neaded. I dont get chain suck but gears have a clutch which may account for that.

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
I have a Bosch performance line with 10 speed XT derailleur and SLX cassette. These lasted 2500 miles before I needed a new chain, cassette and front chain ring although I probably should have changed the chain a bit sooner. Riding a mixture of road and trails (although no serious MTB stuff) I find that I use all the gears. Occasionally on very steep slopes on trails I wonder whether a larger rear sprocket than the 36 I have might be useful (although losing a stone or two in weight would probably be even better).

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When you look at the prices of chains and cassettes as I have been recently (thinking of going to 2 x 10 instead of 3 x 8) the difference between running costs compared to performance benefit seems to be in favor of a 10 speed.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've got a 11speed slx cassette and derailleur on my Bosch cx powered KTM. The first chain lasted to 500 miles until it measured .75.
The second chain (kmc e11) lasted till about 850 miles. I have now replaced the chain but it would appear the front chain ring and the cassette are worn out as the new chain skips constantly and also feels like it's catching on the chainring. I have ordered new slx bits for now but I'm wondering if for next time I could convert it to 8 speed for a fatter chain and sprockets? I rarely use all 11 gears. Is the hub cassette carrier a standard width? I have a boost front wheel but I don't know if the rear hub is over size.
Would this be a worthwhile exercise?
I change chainring with chain, only €8 from Bike discount, worth it to extend life of €25 kmc e11 chain and cassettee.

If you don't need the full ranges of 11spd gears 11-46t, then switch to quality 9spd (Deore) derailleur maybe way to go. They now come with shadow clutch and sunrace do 11-40 cassette. Chains and cassettes are lot cheaper and may last longer.
The clutch is must with CX drive if MTB in wet conditions, to avoid chain suck.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
500 miles from a chain sounds like bad maintenance, poor quality chain, prior wear in the transmission prematurely wearing the chain OR truly horrid riding conditions. I get thousands of miles, but try and avoid all 4 of these things

Slightly off topic but my preference is always to run multiple chains on a bike, KMC split links make it dead easy. For 30 years have used 2 chains on my main MTBs so I can swap them over regularly for a proper deep clean and re-grease. Really well maintained chains last a long time and reduce wear on everything else imo.
My ebike is about to get a new transmission after years of abuse, though finally killed by the recent awful weather and endlessly salty roads this winter that has decimated the chain/cassette/chainset - so I have bought 3 chains for the refresh.
Would always use 3 chains from now on I think. With 2 chains the cassette is usually done when the chains are done but there is still life in the chainset - with 3 chains I figure everything will die together . . .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My converted Norco 700c is over 4 years old now approx 5000 miles still with original cassette and chain never cleaned, only oiled when it looks dry & doesn't skip or jump.
Hub drives wear drive gear less.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The CX drive 11spd chain on MTB gives about 1200km with lot MTBing and regular maintenance. While STEPs drive 9spd chain on city bike gives 2500km. Both changed at 0.75 mark.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am at about 2500 km on the Wippermann chain on Number Two. It jumped last week during a bumpy gear change, the advantage of the GSM chainline is that it always jumps from the outer to the inner chainring. Think it might need some chain juice again (third time)...